2018 Silverado Gas Cap.... !!??!!

I just picked up my new Silverado 1500 4WD Z71 Saturday.   We went for a nice long drive today and when we returned, I fueled the truck.  CAN THIS BE CORRECT????   There is NO gascap.... just a dumb, sorry stinking little flap that seals the tank. I looked with a flashlight and there are no threads, no way I see to add a gas cap..... REALLY??????   IS THIS RIGHT the way these come???   

I am a mechanical engineer..... I can promise you if they think this will work they are out of their rabbit  "A" minds. No engineer would let that happen. Not a real one.... When we test drove the truck, it died at a stoplight.... shuddered...and quit. It started right up and has been flawless since.... I made the comment to the sales guy that it "Felt" and acted like water in the fuel line....   

Can someone please tell me if this is how these come now???   THANKS!!!  

It's nice not having one... I was also worried at first, and then I realized something. Gm is always 4 steps behind every other manufacturer! I can assure you, anything gm does, has been tested previously on other manufacturer's lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies....  It WILL NOT stay as it is on my truck. PERIOD. When I get too lazy to remove a fuel cap, I'll quit driving.    Just a poorly designed mess. 

Thanks again. 

I like it myself.  But then here in eastern NC we don't get much in the way of nasty roads in the winter, but we do get a ton of dust and pollen from the farms.

I found this and though it was interesting.  Ford TSB on cap-less fuel

I wonder how the Evap system works on these capless trucks... I remember having evap issues because of the gas cap on my 2005. I have a 2016 2500hd 6.0 and it still has a cap... But its yellow for flex fuel... Which confuses pump workers that think its for diesel. Cant win!

2 hours ago, Saskquatch said:

I wonder how the Evap system works on these capless trucks... I remember having evap issues because of the gas cap on my 2005. I have a 2016 2500hd 6.0 and it still has a cap... But its yellow for flex fuel... Which confuses pump workers that think its for diesel. Cant win!

There are 2 doors that you push open when you put the fuel nozzle in.  That is why the funnel that comes with the vehicle is so long. Both doors have a rubber seal on them to seal the system.

Around here diesel pumps have green handles and FF are yellow.  I guess it isn't a nation wide code, which doesn't make sense.

Edited by Black02Silverado

12 hours ago, newdude said:

GM makes a locking cover if you so choose.  84308352 for 2018 trucks. 

For reference i haven't had much luck with those they work great when they do work but it plastic and is bit brittle. The cap is a good idea especially if you you're wanting a locking one. lt just need to be made better.

8 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

There are 2 doors that you push open when you put the fuel nozzle in.  That is why the funnel that comes with the vehicle is so long. Both doors have a rubber seal on them to seal the system.

Around here diesel pumps have green handles and FF are yellow.  I guess it isn't a nation wide code, which doesn't make sense.

Im talking about the evap system... On my old truck it vented gas vapor into a charcoal canister system... This would be checked by the computer on ignition and would throw a code if it failed. A loose gas cap could trigger it... Or the vent canister etc. I don't know how or if they have one on the new trucks... Never even looked at mine. 

I had several problems on my 2005 and it was due to gravel dust.

8 hours ago, Saskquatch said:

Im talking about the evap system... On my old truck it vented gas vapor into a charcoal canister system... This would be checked by the computer on ignition and would throw a code if it failed. A loose gas cap could trigger it... Or the vent canister etc. I don't know how or if they have one on the new trucks... Never even looked at mine. 

I had several problems on my 2005 and it was due to gravel dust.

I would imagine it has the same evap system.  That is why the 2 flapper doors to make sure the fill cap are is sealed after fueling. 

So, there's actually 2 flaps on this system, one that you can see at the end, and there's a second further in which is why you need a special funnel to fuel with a jerry can. Its too bad that because the OP doesn't like it, it automatically makes it a "poorly designed mess", its not. But this is the way all manufacturers are going.