Question on New 18 Silverado Negotiation

Hey All,

I have a 2016 Silverado LT with leather, All Star and Linex bed liner with 21K miles.  I'm considering getting an 18 while my current truck is still worth good money, but also before the 2019 changeover.  I probably wouldn't look to get one until 2020 or 2021 otherwise.  I see all these deals you guys are getting with leftover 18's from Laura GMC and some dealers in TX as well.  I'm in the Boston area and the deals are what they are.  I'm not seeing 20 - 25% off MSRP like some of you have listed.   Local dealers seem to be around 14 -16% off MSRP and don't care if I walk away.  I got a tremendous deal on my 2016 and the same dealer said maybe wait until Labor day sales and see if they are different. 

Also, where can I get a fair trade value for my current truck?  Figures I got on line are all over the place.  NADA seems high, while KBB and especially Edmunds seems low....to the tune of around 28K for an average vehicle. 

I know this is not straight forward, but it's more of a question of what could I expect a 50K Silverado for after discounts and what could I expect for my 16, in great shape with the specs above? 

Thanks for any input.

Bob

11 hours ago, outrag1 said:

Hey All,

I have a 2016 Silverado LT with leather, All Star and Linex bed liner with 21K miles.  I'm considering getting an 18 while my current truck is still worth good money, but also before the 2019 changeover.  I probably wouldn't look to get one until 2020 or 2021 otherwise.  I see all these deals you guys are getting with leftover 18's from Laura GMC and some dealers in TX as well.  I'm in the Boston area and the deals are what they are.  I'm not seeing 20 - 25% off MSRP like some of you have listed.   Local dealers seem to be around 14 -16% off MSRP and don't care if I walk away.  I got a tremendous deal on my 2016 and the same dealer said maybe wait until Labor day sales and see if they are different. 

Also, where can I get a fair trade value for my current truck?  Figures I got on line are all over the place.  NADA seems high, while KBB and especially Edmunds seems low....to the tune of around 28K for an average vehicle. 

I know this is not straight forward, but it's more of a question of what could I expect a 50K Silverado for after discounts and what could I expect for my 16, in great shape with the specs above? 

Thanks for any input.

Bob

I would probably wait until the 2019 hits their lot. They will be apt to deal. Also, do you get any GM discounts , supplier discounts or anything. Where I work we get a supplier discount and all of the incentives they offer are based on if you qualify or not. I used that and some points I had on my GM credit card. I walked out with a 2018 all star package with bucket seats and full floor counsole, z71 package which the stiker said $51,8?? for $37,000. I don't know about your trade in. I learned when I traded in my 06 duramax they would keep giving me more for my trade if I said I was still not happy with the deal. Typically they will give you top end of trade in value of NADA. Don't expect retail for it. And used trucks can be tuff to sell on your own.

Edited by Paul_Aris

1 hour ago, Paul_Aris said:

I would probably wait until the 2019 hits their lot. They will be apt to deal. Also, do you get any GM discounts , supplier discounts or anything. Where I work we get a supplier discount and all of the incentives they offer are based on if you qualify or not. I used that and some points I had on my GM credit card. I walked out with a 2018 all star package with bucket seats and full floor counsole, z71 package which the stiker said $51,8?? for $37,000. I don't know about your trade in. I learned when I traded in my 06 duramax they would keep giving me more for my trade if I said I was still not happy with the deal. Typically they will give you top end of trade in value of NADA. Don't expect retail for it. And used trucks can be tuff to sell on your own.

Ya, thanks that makes sense.  I know some 19s are in transit, but haven't hit the lots yet.  I would get all the promos GM is offering at the time (minus the financing as I'm not going that route) plus whatever else I can get the dealer to take off.  I've been using GM Card points for a long time and right now I have a bit over $1000.

Your deal of 37K from 52K is approx. 28%.  I'm not seeing anything like that locally.  Half that basically.  Anything approaching 20% or over is decent I think. 

I would definitely want to trade as the Mass tax is high and it really takes the bite out of it with a trade.  As you mentioned it can be tough selling something of this value privately too.  Looking at used vehicles similar to mine on their lot gives an idea of what I would get for a trade.  Most are on a dealers lot for around $33K - $34K.  Given this, I can't imagine they would give me any more than $28K for mine, maybe less.

Thanks.

Edited by outrag1

It sounds like you currently have a nice truck.  It may be difficult to find an '18 that is worth the difference in cash you will need to pay.  I am currently looking for an '18 with a max tow package but haven't found anything worth giving up my '15 along with a bunch of cash!

2 minutes ago, Donstar said:

It sounds like you currently have a nice truck.  It may be difficult to find an '18 that is worth the difference in cash you will need to pay.  I am currently looking for an '18 with a max tow package but haven't found anything worth giving up my '15 along with a bunch of cash!

Yes it can be a quandary...should I buy now or wait a couple years...

My feeling is you will pay one way or the other.  New vehicles are very expensive.  If a person waits, they will have a bigger delta (new cost minus trade) than if they do it sooner.  I won't do anything if I can't get a manageable delta and I'll wait until at least 2020 or 2021.  At that point, my delta will be over $20K vs possibly $12K right now. 

I've always purchased new vehicles every 2-4 years.  The bigger note, when waiting 4+ years is tough to swallow. 

Interestingly enough, when I got my 16 Silverado, I caught a plus 20% off MSRP, which was very good.  I had a 2012 Tahoe with 50K, needing tires and brakes and the trade in was way beyond what I expected.  This was a rare event where "New" Tahoe's were suddenly the price of a condo, so it positively impacted my trade.  I had a $6k delta, which I paid cash and was probably one of the better deals I've scored over the years.  The truck also suited my needs way more than the SUV.

58 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Have you asked your stealership(s) about ordering a 19 GMC limited or a Silverado LD with the Max tow? assuming it’s a option on them? and they will be available North of the boarder, at some point they will be blowing them out price wise and I know guys that have gotten the current incentives at the time ordering a new truck. Just one more maybe possibility?

Not sure that the amounts off will get better or not.  If anything, perhaps Sept-November?  They cut them from July down from 18% to 14% for August so anything can happen.

50 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

Have you asked your stealership(s) about ordering a 19 GMC limited or a Silverado LD with the Max tow? assuming it’s a option on them? and they will be available North of the boarder, at some point they will be blowing them out price wise and I know guys that have gotten the current incentives at the time ordering a new truck. Just one more maybe possibility?

2019 Sierra Limited and 2019 Silverado LD are very limited in their builds.  Double cab 5.3 in WT/Base and LT/SLE trims only. 

Edited by newdude

2 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll ask although I suspect newdude has the answer.  A SLE or LT trim could work for me with the right additional packages but not in a DC.

4 hours ago, MegaCode360 said:

Sell your truck to CarMax or autosense as long as they give you a good deal, then fly out to Laura.

I think I will check CarMax and see where we are at.  Downside is I will pay full Mass tax unless dealer wants to match CarMax. 

I hadn't thought about flying to Laura, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Thanks for the tips.

15% below MSRP is the maximum price anyone should pay for a new truck. If you expect anything lower than that you are going to be giving up choices and availability on year end closeout inventory. If you don't care about the color, and other trivial details, you can probably wait and get a better price in a month. but if you have any "must-haves" then you will have less maneuverability on the price.

My dealer basically told me they pay KBB trade-in amount, after looking the vehicle over. I ended up selling two vehicles private party because I got more than dealer offered for trade-in. But those were both under 10 grand. Its hard to sell anythign over 20 grand for cash. nobody has that much laying around, and if they do, they want some piece of mind that a dealer is standing behind it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, outrag1 said:

I think I will check CarMax and see where we are at.  Downside is I will pay full Mass tax unless dealer wants to match CarMax. 

I hadn't thought about flying to Laura, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Thanks for the tips.

Depending on what Carmax/local lots quote you (shop around most lots around here will buy cars if they have a customer in mind for your truck you can squeeze them for a little more) I’d call Lauras and see if they’ll match it or come close. If they are close that takes care of your tax problem for the price of fuel both ways. A few guys have commented on Lauras giving them what they expected for their trucks and I believe you can lock in a trade in price before you get there. If their truck is 6g less than locally and they offer you 2g less than locally for your trade your still up 4g - fuel, food, lodging. Save 3g for 36 hour drive = 86 bucks an hour for your time or 50 bucks a month on a 60 month loan.

• Thanks 1

You're right. NE area dealers are tough. The economy is especially good in the area, so they don't care if you buy it or not. That, and the fact that Silverado is the top selling truck in the region, so the buyers are plentiful.

The worst part about buying my 2017 was my trade value. I bought last year when GM offered 17% below sticker. 2017 LT DC midnight edition stickered at $51, I paid like $42.3 (before trade).. The GM discount took all other incentives off the table including my supplier discount.

The fun began when they offered me $3k for my 2008 Tacoma which had a trade value of between $8-9K according to KBB/NADA.. I got up out of my seat 3 times during negotiations. I finally got $8k , but the whole experience sucked and I told them that as we closed the deal.  Why put us both through the BS, when in the end I got the $8k I wanted. I was so aggravated towards the end of negotiation that I also demanded $700 running boards. I was seriously going to walk if they didn't give them to me. That was Diamond Chevrolet in Auburn.

To be fair, I will say that the service dept is completely different than the sales dept. I've been happy with the service after the sale.

Edited by Loco-diablo