Suspension/Ride Height/Bilstein 5100 Question

I have a rear shock going bad and It is giving me an reason to buy Bilstein 5100's. I am trying to decide what height setting to put them on and was measuring my stock ride height on my truck. I get some variation depending on where I park but It seems to be around 35" in the front and 39" in the back. I still want some rake but want my front end to be a little higher than it currently is.  Based off of that I was considering putting them on the highest or 2nd to highest setting as it is my understanding that you can get about 2" of lift with the Bilstein's does that sound about right?

I have a rear shock going bad and It is giving me an reason to buy Bilstein 5100's. I am trying to decide what height setting to put them on and was measuring my stock ride height on my truck. I get some variation depending on where I park but It seems to be around 35" in the front and 39" in the back. I still want some rake but want my front end to be a little higher than it currently is.  Based off of that I was considering putting them on the highest or 2nd to highest setting as it is my understanding that you can get about 2" of lift with the Bilstein's does that sound about right?

Bilstien says 1.85” at top setting. I got 1.75” on the second from top. I still have 1.5” - 2” of rake. I like this because I did t want to buy new rear blocks and ubolts. I can still haul stuff in the rear or hook up trailer with 500lb tongue weight and be level not nose high. Loading more than that weight then I would be higher in the front.

• Like 1

Check out the bilstein 5160, has remote reservoir. Next step up from the 5100.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I installed mine at the top setting and I got just under 2" of lift.  I still have about 1" or so of rake.  I also have air bags to raise the rear back up with heavy loads so I wasnt concerned with being nose high.

10 hours ago, btj_z71 said:

Check out the bilstein 5160, has remote reservoir. Next step up from the 5100.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Looks like the 5160 is only available for the rear.

https://cart.bilsteinus.com/results?yearid=8310054769234976108&makeid=1661612674627302276&modelid=2559915672474397422&submodelid=4483743550710845322

I am considering going with the 5100’s myself. I am wanting to get about 3.25” of lift. I’ve been thinking of running those on the 2nd notch paired with a zone 1.5” BL. I’m curious if anyone is running this set up. If so, how does it ride? 

3 minutes ago, Wilie Kent said:

I am considering going with the 5100’s myself. I am wanting to get about 3.25” of lift. I’ve been thinking of running those on the 2nd notch paired with a zone 1.5” BL. I’m curious if anyone is running this set up. If so, how does it ride? 

I doubt many people are running a spacer over 3 inches. Thats gonna be rough on all your suspension components. Id recommend running the 5100's on the lowest setting and throw a 2 inch spacer on it if you want to go that route.

• Like 1

I thought I had read something on here about people running 2”-2.5” leveling kits with 1.5” body lifts. What exactly would make this set up not be ideal? I’m  new to suspension mods/ lifts and want to make sure I don’t do something I shouldn’t 

14 hours ago, 2009GMC said:

Bilstien says 1.85” at top setting. I got 1.75” on the second from top. I still have 1.5” - 2” of rake. I like this because I did t want to buy new rear blocks and ubolts. I can still haul stuff in the rear or hook up trailer with 500lb tongue weight and be level not nose high. Loading more than that weight then I would be higher in the front.

I agree they seem to lowball the ride height or maybe there is some settling that occurs OR maybe there's some variation in spring rate/height on some trucks that Bilstein didn't account for....at any rate, my truck was just @ 2" w/ the fronts @ top setting, I added 2.25" rear blocks (+1" over stock) & run 275/60R20 tires (33") - @ 44 psi front 42 rear. Overall the truck sits 2.75" higher in the front w/ this setup - I have measured it numerous times & this is still the case w/ the shocks having 40,000+ miles on them. The truck still has a rake, but its less than what it was from the factory. I have had 2200 lbs of stone in the bed & the rear didn't appear to be sagging enough to look less than level.

I run Nitto Terra Grappler G2's April-Nov & General Grabber snows Dec-Mar both same size.

Before buying I would recommend checking out Eibach's kit - they make a similar adjustable shock for leveling trucks but also offer it w/ new front springs. If I knew this before buying the Bilsteins I may have gone w/ them instead. I am happy w/ the bilsteins & they were definitely an improvement in ride/handling over stock & definitely gave me some lift w/o effecting the suspension geometry much, but the Eibach kit looks really nice too.

Last thing I'd mention - if you do go w/ the bilsteins get a spray can of automotive clear coat & spray them down w/ that before installing, while the housings are stainless they are 400 series & will rust/pit a little if exposed to alot of road salt, I realized this after already installing & did my best @ spraying them while installed however obviously much better to do prior. This way they'll maintain that nice shiny metal look.

Edited by crushNchowda

I agree on clear coating the shocks. I sprayed mine down with brake clean to remove any oil on the body then painted with spray can clear coat.

I also used the original front strut but vs the tiny one that came with the 5100. The stock top strut but is deeper than the bilstein one and does not bottom out on strut threads when tightening.

• Like 1

I agree on clear coating the shocks. I sprayed mine down with brake clean to remove any oil on the body then painted with spray can clear coat.

I also used the original front strut but vs the tiny one that came with the 5100. The stock top strut but is deeper than the bilstein one and does not bottom out on strut threads when tightening.

Are you talking about using the factory nuts on the top of the new strut?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Are you talking about using the factory nuts on the top of the new strut?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Yes, after a few months I was getting slight clunking on bumps. Tried tightening supplies nuts and they were tight (bottomed out in strut thread). Installed factory nuts and its been quiet since. 

• Like 1