2015 Silverado with HUD retrofit/upgrade.

Has anyone tried to swap led tail lights?

I have a 2016 silverado Ltd, factory led tail lights...

I would like to simply swap and put GMC Sierra Denali led tail lights, wondering if this would be plug and play?

Not to hijack this thread but it won’t physically fit. If it did fit, it would be PnP since you already have factory LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Viktorrocks15 said:

Viktorrocks15

Back on target here.

Looks like the only thing left off your list was the new hood or cover or whatever that thing is called. Anymore ideas on cost or time frame of that. Seems so far to be around the $1200 range. Which isn’t bad. 

To answer others questions. I would expect this to be no different than the suv versions as far as info showing up. There is a decent amount that can show. I have only messed with the suv ones so...

Viktorrocks15 please correct if wrong here. 

Call info

speed

directions

station info

i think a couple other things

would be cool if the kids inclometer would show but I doubt there is enough space.

5 hours ago, tuckin22 said:

Back on target here.

Looks like the only thing left off your list was the new hood or cover or whatever that thing is called. Anymore ideas on cost or time frame of that. Seems so far to be around the $1200 range. Which isn’t bad. 

Are you asking about the hood the was required on his original method of installing the HUD?  You don't need a new hood with this new method.  He now uses a bezel that is cut into the speaker cowl rather than a custom hood.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2019 at 9:42 AM, Viktorrocks15 said:

Thank you!!! It sure does look factory. Very happy with outcome. emoji4.png

Victor,

Thanks for all of your work (and others). I just finished ordering the last of the parts (Trim ring and HUD switch along with wiring harness from HarnessDr.com). A couple of questions:

1.   Defroster vent tube - It looks like the Tahoe/Yukon tube is much flatter than the Sierra/Silverado in the middle that would go under the HUD unit. Is it the vertical size that interferes. I know the ends of the tube are different, but I am thinking of trying to build a combo of the pickup ends with the SUV center section.

2.  Does the dash pad have to come out or can you remove the speaker tray without removal of the pad and rotate the HUD underneath? I really wanted to avoid taking out the console, but if that is what is needed I will do it.

Again thanks for your work,

Chip

Your welcome!! I’m thinking about doing a video on some of the things that must be done to accomplish this upgrade. As you probably ready from the beginning I’ve done this before and the second time took me almost 2 days get it to the final outcome. I’ve thought of every possible angle to keep as much as possible like the driver side defrost for your door window., to me it wasn’t as vital so I removed it, the way is molded there was no other way to keep the defrost tube I thought about it and not worth for me to manufacture it.
You might be able to keep both ends of the defrost tube and attach some flexible pipe.
But once your have you dash off you will realize there isn’t much space for it, unfortunately.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Viktorrocks15 said:

I’m thinking about doing a video on some of the things that must be done to accomplish this upgrade. 

A video would be awesome...I'm looking forward to tackling this but would like to see some of the finer points in more detail. For example, where and how to cut to mount the switch where you did; where and how to cut the speaker tray to fit the projector as well as dash for the bezel. 

I agree on the tight space. The Tahoe/Yukon tubes pictured seem to be compressed into this space much more than our pickup tubes which seem fairly round. I am going to purchase one of the Tahoe tubes and do some research when I pull this apart to install my HUD. 

Videos would be great on any install tips. I have followed the adventures on this from the beginning, so I do appreciate all of the attempts. You have really arrived on the cleanest factory appearing solution. 

07D970FB-A733-45F3-8755-903E67E8C492.jpeg

BE0D9D85-B692-4C71-B059-4A3CD587D343.jpeg

1A61CBAF-7634-4FC4-A156-F5A0F3740248.jpeg

Edited by chipchildress

I’m looking for some advice from anyone that has done this mod...

I found a wrecker that has the HUD unit and switch. The problem is that there is some slight damage on the corner of the lens. My question is  would this damage be visible once installed or cause any concerns with the image projection?  

Thanks for the help. ?

171197B4-AF67-4F30-89A1-38EA4AB78503.jpeg