Anyone have a Century cap?

I know Leer and A.R.E. have been the top players for a long time, but I just can't see spending $2500 on a cap. Century looks like they make a really nice cap in the $1700 range. Either the Royal or the Ultra Sport. Do any of you guys have pics or feedback?

Leer and Century caps are the same. The Leer 100XQ doesn’t have a Century equivalent but it has one piece side windows. The main difference I was told was the rear window handle was different and the third brake light lense is clear on the Leer but red on the Century. Some dealers charge a premium for the Leer but most price the same.  Look on withers web site for coupons. I have the Leer 100XL. Century Royal equals Leer 100XL and Century Ultra Sport equals Leer 100XR It has the headliner option, removable front slider, the rear lock works off my factory keyless remote, the plug kit for the wiring that’s plug and play, and pet screens that cover the normal screens.  Even after adding weather stripping the hatch leaks water. I will try a few things when the weather warms up. It’s a combination of bad GM and Leer design. You can get the price under $2000 if you don’t add options. Boissys in DeMotte has good prices. I went to LC truck in Elkhart. It takes about a month to get a cap once ordered. 

I had a Century Ultra. The only reason I sold it was because I prefer the look of the truck without the cap. A friend of mine at work has a premium Leer cap, not sure which model but the ceiling is carpeted, there’s some lights and overall it looks like a more refined product. Even after seeing his, I couldn’t imagine how the features he had justified his cap being double the cost. If I ever get a cap again, it will be a bare bones model and if I want premium features I will do it myself and get exactly what I’m looking for. An extra $1500 to invest into customizing your cap can go a long way. I would start with an interior coat of LineX, tougher than carpet and will actually reinforce the strength of the cap. Custom lighting exactly where I want it and whatever else $1000 left over could get me.

The only feature I would have liked would have been the rear window automatically opening with the tailgate. I didn’t like having to turn 3 handles to get into the bed. Whether or not a leftover $1k could buy that, I’m really not sure.

They are very functional items. Whether it’s keeping your gear dry or making a sleeping space for yourself, they certainly expand the realm of possibilities for your truck. Good luck!

You may also want to consider buying a well kept used cap. They are a pain in the butt to store because they are large and heavy. Most people selling their caps are motivated to move them and offer them at or below 50% the cost of a new cap. Might be an option and would be worth it if you found one that was well maintained.

I looked for awhile for a used cap but in my area the 2014-18 caps are hard to come by especially in the short bed. A few standard bed caps come up every so often but they where priced high. Did find a lot of 08-13 caps. 

30 minutes ago, 300 Blackout said:

I had a Century Ultra. The only reason I sold it was because I prefer the look of the truck without the cap. A friend of mine at work has a premium Leer cap, not sure which model but the ceiling is carpeted, there’s some lights and overall it looks like a more refined product. Even after seeing his, I couldn’t imagine how the features he had justified his cap being double the cost. If I ever get a cap again, it will be a bare bones model and if I want premium features I will do it myself and get exactly what I’m looking for. An extra $1500 to invest into customizing your cap can go a long way. I would start with an interior coat of LineX, tougher than carpet and will actually reinforce the strength of the cap. Custom lighting exactly where I want it and whatever else $1000 left over could get me.

The only feature I would have liked would have been the rear window automatically opening with the tailgate. I didn’t like having to turn 3 handles to get into the bed. Whether or not a leftover $1k could buy that, I’m really not sure.

They are very functional items. Whether it’s keeping your gear dry or making a sleeping space for yourself, they certainly expand the realm of possibilities for your truck. Good luck!

The top of the line Leer gets pricey. Your paying for the one piece side glass but they have the carpeted headliner standard. If I had to do it again I would apply a bed liner material myself instead of getting a headliner. Plus getting the standard windows brings the price down. I couldn’t do without the single handle for opening the rear glass but then again the keyless is nice. 

If you’re looking for a cheaper option, look at Ranch brand caps.  I have a Ranch Sierra on my truck and I only paid $1250 for it. Has sliding windows on sides and against the truck.  They have a cheaper one with no sliding windows, but I wanted to let my dogs have some air.  Build quality is very good, mine has no issues.  Thinking of adding Truck bed coating on the roof.

6D65FF61-0935-4E4B-AF30-7AE8DB3CE498.jpeg

16 hours ago, Blue5.3l said:

Leer and Century caps are the same. The Leer 100XQ doesn’t have a Century equivalent but it has one piece side windows. The main difference I was told was the rear window handle was different and the third brake light lense is clear on the Leer but red on the Century. Some dealers charge a premium for the Leer but most price the same.  Look on withers web site for coupons. I have the Leer 100XL. Century Royal equals Leer 100XL and Century Ultra Sport equals Leer 100XR It has the headliner option, removable front slider, the rear lock works off my factory keyless remote, the plug kit for the wiring that’s plug and play, and pet screens that cover the normal screens.  Even after adding weather stripping the hatch leaks water. I will try a few things when the weather warms up. It’s a combination of bad GM and Leer design. You can get the price under $2000 if you don’t add options. Boissys in DeMotte has good prices. I went to LC truck in Elkhart. It takes about a month to get a cap once ordered. 

Boissy's in Demotte was actually where I'm looking. I got a quote from Classy Chassis in Valpo for $2200 for a Leer XQ. I really don't think I can bring myself to spend over $2 grand. Yikes. Do you have a Leer?

15 hours ago, 300 Blackout said:

Do you have pics of your truck with the Century?

15 hours ago, 300 Blackout said:

You may also want to consider buying a well kept used cap. They are a pain in the butt to store because they are large and heavy. Most people selling their caps are motivated to move them and offer them at or below 50% the cost of a new cap. Might be an option and would be worth it if you found one that was well maintained.

I would love to! I have had my eye on craigslist, but toppers dont seem to be very popular in my area. And like someone previously said, they always seem to be for the 6.5' bed when you do find em.

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

Century caps are fine and look good, imo.  I would see no advantage to spend more.post-150467-0-54213000-1492783461_thumb.jpgpost-150467-0-83551500-1492804093_thumb.jpg

That looks really good. How much did that run you and did you add on any options?

53 minutes ago, rjpoog1989 said:

If you’re looking for a cheaper option, look at Ranch brand caps.  I have a Ranch Sierra on my truck and I only paid $1250 for it. Has sliding windows on sides and against the truck.  They have a cheaper one with no sliding windows, but I wanted to let my dogs have some air.  Build quality is very good, mine has no issues.  Thinking of adding Truck bed coating on the roof.

6D65FF61-0935-4E4B-AF30-7AE8DB3CE498.jpeg

That looks pretty nice for the price. I will take a look at those thank you!

22 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

That looks really good. How much did that run you and did you add on any options?

I added front slider, carpet lined and 12 V power bar.  Cost was very reasonable when compared to other models and brands.  Canadian pricing would probably not be useful for your comparisons. 

1 hour ago, NWI Denali said:

Boissy's in Demotte was actually where I'm looking. I got a quote from Classy Chassis in Valpo for $2200 for a Leer XQ. I really don't think I can bring myself to spend over $2 grand. Yikes. Do you have a Leer?

I have the Leer 100XL. Paint color also changes the price. Don’t forget to get the online coupon to help on the price. Luckily my blue was not an extra cost. Some places wanted to splice into the factory wiring instead of using a harness that plug and plays. The factory LED tail lights require a different harness. 

Edited by Blue5.3l

I have a Century cap ultra sport.  On my second cap now, first one leaked from drivers side window and century replaced under warranty.  Unfortunately, the new one leaks from the passenger side window, even after the TAG East plant manager assured me they were sending me their best of the best.  My contact with plant mgr has since gone cold so I'm not sure what my option are at this point.  Been dealing with this mess for almost a year now.  The Century dealer I purchased cap from is not a high volume store so that has also presented a time delay when dealing with warranty issues.  Century would not send my replacement 'til dealer had another customer order cap.  Overall, I've been pretty disappointed but I don't think everyone has shared my experience.  TAG owns Century, Leer, Raider and Snugtop.  

Hope you have better luck than me.