Thoughts on Emergency Traction Straps

AE1M

For some reason,  the owners manual says no chains  for my tires.

“If the vehicle has dual wheel s or 265/65R18,P265/65R18,P275/55R20,LT265/70R17,LT265/70R18,LT265/60R20,LT275/65R18,P285/50R20,285/45R22,orP285/45R22 size tires, do not use tire chains. They can damage the vehicle because there is not enough clearance. “

I am talking for emergency stuck in ditch etc only, quick use then off.

Bob

What tires on on your truck now?  I purchased a set of GY DuraTrac tires at 20,000 miles in my OEM size - P275/55R20 - Got rid of the GY SRAs.

These DuraTracs really go in the snow.  Might also keep some weight in the back - maybe 200lbs. sand.

Look for tire rated Severe Snow Service -- Triple Mountain Peak.  Also - are studded tires allowed in your area?  Might be an option.

You can't drive on the road with chains, but just to get out of a ditch, go for it.

My winter kit includes sand bags, shovel and tow strap. Sand bags add weight on the rear end, and you can cut one open and pour it out for traction if you get stuck. I've never thought about getting anything to strap on the tire. If I couldn't dig myself out, I'd wave down another truck and have my strap all hooked up and ready.

If that doesn't get me out, that little rubber strap-on block ain't gonna do it either. The worst situation would be if you skid into a ditch with packed snow and the truck "sleds" up onto the pile, like high centering. Nothing you do to the wheels will get you out of that, you need a tow. I did that once in HS in a car. I spent an hour shoveling snow around it just to make it able for my dad to pull it out.

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, AE1M said:

“If the vehicle has dual wheel s or 265/65R18,P265/65R18,P275/55R20,LT265/70R17,LT265/70R18,LT265/60R20,LT275/65R18,P285/50R20,285/45R22,orP285/45R22 size tires, do not use tire chains. They can damage the vehicle because there is not enough clearance. “

Bob

Is there really an issue with tire chain/cable use with these trucks? Or is it more of GM passing the liability off? Obviously if a chain or cable breaks it could wreak havoc, but if it's used properly I don't see why there would be an issue...

I'm of the opinion of not needing them, but unfortunately my state requires all vehicles (AWD and 4WD included) to have chains and use them when advised.

• Like 1

You can't put on a set of chains very easily if you are already stuck. You put them on BEFORE you get into trouble. I have pulled out countless Transport trucks with all their chains hanging on the hangers...

Those things would work ok to get you moving. We have done similar method with a stick and ratchet straps in a pinch. Best method is a friend with another 4x4 and a tow strap, but these could get you out of trouble if you are alone with no cell service. Not something I would purchase personally but a good idea overall. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DEV1ST8R said:

Is there really an issue with tire chain/cable use with these trucks? Or is it more of GM passing the liability off? Obviously if a chain or cable breaks it could wreak havoc, but if it's used properly I don't see why there would be an issue...

I think the only problem is with clearance inside the wheelwell. You don't want to be going 50 mph and have a chain with some slack wreck your brakes or steering components. If you were using a smaller/ narrower tire for winter, then your chains would have more clearance?

10 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

You can't put on a set of chains very easily if you are already stuck. You put them on BEFORE you get into trouble. I have pulled out countless Transport trucks with all their chains hanging on the hangers...

Those things would work ok to get you moving. We have done similar method with a stick and ratchet straps in a pinch. Best method is a friend with another 4x4 and a tow strap, but these could get you out of trouble if you are alone with no cell service. Not something I would purchase personally but a good idea overall. 

Agree

Chain up if you are going to possibly get stuck.

Good tires and some bed weight have gotten me through some rough conditions.

You also have to drive right to avoid getting into a bad situation.

Gas pedal use to prevent wheel spin and tacking another run at things to prevent wheel spin.

:)

1 hour ago, AE1M said:

Bob

Mine says something similar for my 2019. Unfortunately our state law says you have to carry chains when traveling over the passes...whether they are required at the time or not, and if they check you and you don't have any it's a pretty big ticket. I've been looking for "alternative traction devices".

16 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Agree

Chain up if you are going to possibly get stuck.

Good tires and some bed weight have gotten me through some rough conditions.

You also have to drive right to avoid getting into a bad situation.

Gas pedal use to prevent wheel spin and tacking another run at things to prevent wheel spin.

:)

My question is a result of getting stuck alone in a ditch (1 ft of fresh snow hid the danger) at a driveway of a hunting cabin I'd never been to before.  So, it's just an emergency issue.  I have good tires etc, but sometimes good tires, 4L, and all the work you can do alone in the woods sometimes isnt enough.

Bob

When I was living in Wyoming I would always run chains with good luck. As I was working at a semi truck shop I saw a surprising amount of trucks running snow socks. I never tried them, but a lot of truck drivers live by them. May be worth a go in your case.

Second the quality tires. Never ran chains on the other car due to quality tires.

https://autosock.us/

The OP isn't looking for a traction device to drive though an icy mountain pass. He wants to be able to get out of a ditch if he's stuck alone. For the low cost and ability to put them on after you are buried, I don't think those emergency straps are a bad idea.

• Like 1