2017 6.0 Intake part identification, For the love of God

I have been trying to figure out what the knobby round thing is on the very top front of the engine in my '17 3500 HD 6.0.  It seems attached to the air intake.  My guess would be that it's a resonator or something.  I know that I'm not using proper terms here.  But I gotta know.  My '16 Sequoia had some sort of resonator on the intake and when I upgraded the CAI on that with the TRD kit, it made it sound a little louder and a lot better IMO.   Please help before I go bonkers.  

50 minutes ago, EZTundra77 said:

I have been trying to figure out what the knobby round thing is on the very top front of the engine in my '17 3500 HD 6.0.  It seems attached to the air intake.  My guess would be that it's a resonator or something.  I know that I'm not using proper terms here.  But I gotta know.  My '16 Sequoia had some sort of resonator on the intake and when I upgraded the CAI on that with the TRD kit, it made it sound a little louder and a lot better IMO.   Please help before I go bonkers.  

A picture would be nice

• txab changed the title to 2017 6.0 Intake part identification, For the love of God

It's a silencer just like the snake out the bottom to minimize intake noise.  That's all.  The factory air intake has no issue making power to 6000 rpm at least with a lot more aggressive premium fuel tune so unless you want some intake noise I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by SierraHD17

17 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

It's a silencer just like the snake out the bottom to minimize intake noise.  That's all.  The factory air intake has no issue making power to 6000 rpm at least with a lot more aggressive premium fuel tune so unless you want some intake noise I wouldn't worry about it.

Removing the silencer from my Sequoia made the engine sound meaner.  I wouldnt mind that.  Im not looking for a hiss or whistle or anything.

I realize the stock intake is already a cold air intake. I’m looking at cheap kits that offer a smooth, non ribbed main pipe and a larger filter element. I’m not expecting big gains.  I just wonder what is meant by “intake noise”. The sound difference on my sequoia after I put in the TRD CAI sounded more like an exhaust note. It just made it a little more throaty somehow. I don’t know what is meant by “intake noise”

Intake noise is just that..... noise.  You know, the stuff they are dampening with the silencers.  They don't build these so you hear every burble and fart it makes when you play with the throttle and bring down the overall DB at wide open throttle because the 99.99% of owners leave these trucks and just want it quiet and pleasant.  

I am sure you can find some $500 sealed cold air that will give you what you want.  The simple solution would be an Airaid MIT tube but rocking the stock clutch fan you won't find one that fits it.