2019 Silverado 1500 High Country Problems Today Had To Be Towed

Well not a post I wanted to make, but here it goes. I'm in Pennsylvania, so it is cold here. I remote started the truck before getting into to head to work this morning. When I hoped in and pressed the push start I was greeted with all kinds of good things. The dash had the check engine light, abs light, and the traction control light was on. In the DIC I was receiving multiple messages including; Service Trailer Brake System, Steering Assist Is Reduced Drive With Care, Service ESC, and the big one Brake System Failure 62 MPH Top Speed. I quickly pressed the OnStar button to have them run a diag. These is what OnStar said: An issue with the Antilock Braking System in your 2019 Chevrolet Silverado has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 7 days. P25A2  The Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Engine Electrical System, including the Charging and Starting System that monitors and controls the engine starting system and 12V battery charging system. If the charge system light stays on, or comes on while driving, there may be a problem with the electrical charging system. Driving while this light is on could drain the battery. If a short distance must be driven with the light on, be sure to turn off all accessories, such as the radio and air conditioner. I had no brakes with vehicle it seem like when I tried to back the truck up. I shut the truck off. Turned it back on. All the lights stayed on. I shut the truck off again and turned it back all the lights then went off, but the check engine light. I then attempted to move truck and had brakes. In the meantime OnStar contacted Roadside to setup tow. They did not want me to drive truck. Now the truck is at dealership, and I am being told they probably can not get truck in until Monday, and no loaners are available, and if they can get a rental Chevy will only cover for two days.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, aseibel said:

check battery voltage, ground connections, etc. When there is a loss of power you get all kinds of error messages.

Yeah, I honestly think it is something small. The Service Advisor at my local Chevrolet Dealership is telling me they can look to get it in until Monday to be looked at. I don't understand how a tech can't go out and do a scan on the truck. I do understand if they can't do a repair until Monday on it, but at least a part could be ordered, or if something did need flashed, or programmed could be done. They have no loaners available and it seemed like he didn't want to bother on trying to get a rental through Chevrolet.

53 minutes ago, tybuch2003 said:

3123 on the odometer today

I would check with Chevy directly on the rental time frame. Make sure that you stress to the rental car agency that this is a warranty fix because Chevy will only pay so much per day for the vehicle. When the engine went in my 2016, Enterprise gave me a great "deal" charging me $126.00 a day when they knew Chevy only covers roughly $40.00. It was a battle getting my money back, but did in the end.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

Just now, tybuch2003 said:

Yeah, I honestly think it is something small. The Service Advisor at my local Chevrolet Dealership is telling me they can look to get it in until Monday to be looked at. I don't understand how a tech can't go out and do a scan on the truck. I do understand if they can't do a repair until Monday on it, but at least a part could be ordered, or if something did need flashed, or programmed could be done. They have no loaners available and it seemed like he didn't want to bother on trying to get a rental through Chevrolet.

When doing warranty work, they will never order a part until they have confirmed the problem, they have to follow protocol with GM, to be reimbursed for time, labor, and parts. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, tybuch2003 said:

GM warranty pays for 3 days of rental at $35 per day, but rental has to be a GM product. Gone are the days of hooking up a Tech 2 and pulling codes wherever you want. Truck needs to be in the shop and connected to the GDS system to run codes and it runs through every system in the truck. It's a PIA as a service advisor and a customer, but everyone wants new technology and power and efficiency and cool sh*t....

• Like 1

Are these new trucks susceptible to virus/trojan attacks through the software or computer?

With the modern technology today, I am surprised it does not happen more often.

Hackers could wreak havoc on vehicles as easy as computers and mobile devices.

23 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

GM will pay for the rental as long as it takes to fix the truck.  It just becomes a pain for the dealership to have to get the authorization from GM

No they don't. They actually don't pay until the vehicle is diagnosed. Anything more than 3 days and the dealer eats it. Only under extremely rare cases does GM pay for more than 3 days.

17 minutes ago, 2017Darkness said:

No they don't. They actually don't pay until the vehicle is diagnosed. Anything more than 3 days and the dealer eats it. Only under extremely rare cases does GM pay for more than 3 days.

It may be easier for a dealership to eat it due to all the bs the dealer has to go through to get more than three days covered, but GM will pay for more than three days. 

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

When doing warranty work, they will never order a part until they have confirmed the problem, they have to follow protocol with GM, to be reimbursed for time, labor, and parts. 

Yeah, I totally understand that. That is why I want them to at least diag the problem, so things can get moving because if it is not until Monday when they can finally diag it, and parts need to be ordered it could be another week. I understand if they can't fix it right away.