Terrible Feature - Truck Shuts Off On It's Own?!?!

rikhek

On 1/22/2019 at 4:52 PM, sethro274 said:

I also fail to see why you would want to leave your car running for longer than that.

If you are worried about it not being warm/cold, remote start it before you get back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just found this after posting my question.  Some of us use these trucks for official or duty use.  It is important to keep it running at a scene or at Headquarters to keep equipment warm and electronics left on.   

This is a very frustrating feature.   I'll keep reading ......

On 10/9/2019 at 12:28 PM, DeputyHoneybadger said:

Some back-story for you all:

I am a Deputy Chief of a volunteer fire department.  We recently purchased two 2019 GMC Sierras for our chiefs to use instead of beating the bolts off of our personal vehicles.  They were purchased through a state purchase program that significantly reduced the costs of them.  From the very beginning, it was known these would be used as emergency vehicles, which inherently must be left idling for extended periods to power equipment.  After we took delivery of the vehicles, we were on scene of an incident on a very busy and dangerous stretch of interstate highway.  After a while it was noticed that the Sierra had shut off.  Did some looking and found this lovely excuse of a safety feature.  This feature is not conducive to emergency vehicle usage.  At all.  It puts our lives in danger when the vehicle we are using to provide protection at a scene suddenly shuts off and kills the emergency warning lights.  Took it to a dealer and they were unable to manipulate the computer.  Called GM "Customer Service" and they started looking into it.  Meanwhile, we did find that putting the vehicle in neutral with the parking brake on does bypass the shutdown.  We haven't tested for a length of time, simply because idling it just to test this is a waste of fuel.  Also, having an emergency vehicle stationary, idling, in neutral with the parking brake on is not something that will hold up in court should the vehicle start to roll and then injure someone.

So I just got off the phone with GM's "Customer Service" after a few weeks of back and forth phone calls.  They stated that GM will NOT do anything to adjust the computer programming, that they CAN'T alter the programming for safety reasons, and that they will NOT work with us to replace these vehicles that were sold to us without disclosing this feature.  Needless to say, neither our department nor the surrounding departments in the area will be purchasing GMC's in the future.

Wow, this is exactly my situation.  GM f#@%$d themselves with governments.  Police agencies and Michigan DNR have been using Chevy trucks for years.  I hope someone knows this before this coming years academy purchases.  They just bought a line of 18's recently.  I know this will be overlooked by some purchasing secretary.

I was wondering if it would shut off at a scene after putting it in park.  Great, now I have that to deal with now.  Traffic control on fatalities will be just lovely.  I was hoping this would override that feature.  

Good thing LED tech doesn't drain batteries.

The "neutral/parking brake" is a good idea for those without liabilities, but accidents happen and people live to sue government agencies.   

My liking of this new truck has been on the slow and steady decline......Looks like I'll be a Dodge man soon enough.

Edited by fsuboy75

On 12/20/2020 at 12:40 AM, kodiakdenali said:

In a recent post in the thread about 6.2L spring defects someone posted a dealership procedure for testing doing a burn in run on the engine for 4.5h before sale was allowed. the procedure instructs the shop to start the engine by pushing and holding the start button for 15 seconds, indicating that this will bypass the auto shutoff for that ignition cycle. seems to be an undocumented feature. it does say that the trucks may not give any indication that the shutoff is bypassed whereas the SUVs should get a DIC message.

15 seconds feels like an eternity when you're holding a button down...its a pain, but way less of a pain than having your emergency lights shut off at the site of a roadside emergency or having the heater shut down if you're sleeping in the truck. would anyone have a good opportunity to test this out and see if it works?

I'll test it as soon as I get clarification on this.....

Foot on brake.....push the button to start, but keep holding for 15 seconds after the start???   Don't release the button and push it again?

Will this also work after shifting into park after driving?   Say I stop to write in my truck for a while......

24 minutes ago, fsuboy75 said:

I'll test it as soon as I get clarification on this.....

Foot on brake.....push the button to start, but keep holding for 15 seconds after the start???   Don't release the button and push it again?

Will this also work after shifting into park after driving?   Say I stop to write in my truck for a while......

I assume that you just push and hold, the engine should start shortly after you push the button, just keep holding for the 15 seconds (engine already started). I have not tested this myself yet, but if you can please report back if it works.

I hope that something can be done about this, it would be poetic justice if somehow GM were forced to do a recall to undo things like this. highly doubt it though.

I think that auto shut down and A.S.S. (auto start stop, a very appropriate acronym) are both anti-features which could, in just the wrong circumstances, get someone killed some day.

improperly installing all weather floor mats has killed people in the past (throttle pedal entrapment, pedal gets stuck on the ribs of the floor mat and a crash occurs before the panicked driver can figure out how to stop it)

if that has killed someone, emergency response vehicles lights shutting off at the scene of an emergency, no brainier that's a danger to the public and the public servants there just trying to help...or a driver glances in their rear view mirror and sees a semi truck barreling down on them while they are at a red light, and the 2 seconds it takes for the A.S.S. system to give you engine power back could be the difference between life and death. it may be just a matter of time.

14 minutes ago, kodiakdenali said:

I assume that you just push and hold, the engine should start shortly after you push the button, just keep holding for the 15 seconds (engine already started). I have not tested this myself yet, but if you can please report back if it works.

I hope that something can be done about this, it would be poetic justice if somehow GM were forced to do a recall to undo things like this. highly doubt it though.

I think that auto shut down and A.S.S. (auto start stop, a very appropriate acronym) are both anti-features which could, in just the wrong circumstances, get someone killed some day.

improperly installing all weather floor mats has killed people in the past (throttle pedal entrapment, pedal gets stuck on the ribs of the floor mat and a crash occurs before the panicked driver can figure out how to stop it)

if that has killed someone, emergency response vehicles lights shutting off at the scene of an emergency, no brainier that's a danger to the public and the public servants there just trying to help...or a driver glances in their rear view mirror and sees a semi truck barreling down on them while they are at a red light, and the 2 seconds it takes for the A.S.S. system to give you engine power back could be the difference between life and death. it may be just a matter of time.

Ok.....going to try it now....ill report back.   

1 hour ago, kodiakdenali said:

It did not work for me...at least the three ways I just did it.

1.  Press brake, press and held start button for 15 seconds....probably more like 20.  Shut off at 30 min.

2.  Press brake, press button, kept button pressed but took foot off brake for like another 20 seconds just to be sure.  Shut off at 30 min.

Both times no indications, beeps or messages popped up.

3.  Press brake, press start, released.  Pressed button again quick, obviously shut off.

Edited by fsuboy75

9 minutes ago, bamorris2 said:

Does anyone have access to the official document that GM provides to dealers with instructions for doing this?

Just called my buddy at the local dealership.  He personally didn't even know they did this, but he's body shop.   He's checking with service and getting back to me.   He said this 4.5 hr run may be a one time set up type of a thing if that's the case.  

1 hour ago, fsuboy75 said:

It did not work for me...at least the three ways I just did it.

1.  Press brake, press and held start button for 15 seconds....probably more like 20.  Shut off at 30 min.

2.  Press brake, press button, kept button pressed but took foot off brake for like another 20 seconds just to be sure.  Shut off at 30 min.

Both times no indications, beeps or messages popped up.

3.  Press brake, press start, released.  Pressed button again quick, obviously shut off.

major bummer, I'm trying to find the post that had the GM document, I can't find it now. I know I saw it, it was the official GM bulletin to dealers on exactly what to do to perform a burn in test on the 6.2L vehicles to flush out the defective valve springs prior to sale. will keep looking for it.

This is a terrible feature. We have three dogs and might leave the truck running with a/c or heat on with the windows cracked while shopping. I also plow snow and am sometimes out of the truck for an extended period only to find the truck shutting off before I get done sanding, or shoveling an area. This entire shut down thing simply sucks for me.