Terrible Feature - Truck Shuts Off On It's Own?!?!

rikhek

The dude was complaining about using it as a firetruck.......... not it's intended use and plopping a magnet light from Galls on top doesn't a firetruck make......so take your wooohooo "18" to the last year's model forum and stir your pot there. 

The ignorance and arrogance is strong in this forum.  Who in their right mind would buy anything from Galls?  Apparently it’s assumed that a volunteer fire Department is automatically a bunch of yahoos.  Maybe where you live, but that is not the rule.

The vehicles were completely upfitted by a professional installer.  I don’t see what they have to do with GMs extended idle feature, so you are still making a fool of yourself while desperately trying to make an ass out of me.

Regular vehicles are routinely purchased and used as fire apparatus.  It’s not something new.  These Sierras were built for use as Chief vehicles.  Not some $600,000 engine or rescue.  It seems like you’re such a die hard fan girl of GM that you refuse to see any wrong that they could do.  Personally, I’ve only owned GM products for the past decade.  I used to only buy Dodge before that.  I’ve never had an issue with my Chevys.  This is legitimately the first issue I’ve ever had with a GM product and their response to a concern from their customers is appalling. There are police departments that use these vehicles for their K-9 units.  I guess those agencies use a Galls light on the roof, too.

• Like 1

The dude was complaining about using it as a firetruck.......... not it's intended use and plopping a magnet light from Galls on top doesn't a firetruck make......so take your wooohooo "18" to the last year's model forum and stir your pot there. 

Lol, nothing going on other than transmission or cylinder deactivation talk in the 18’s, but wow, nothing like what’s going on with the 19’s, the EPA has really got their grasp on the 19’s.

Sent from Above

On 10/9/2019 at 10:28 AM, DeputyHoneybadger said:

Some back-story for you all:

I am a Deputy Chief of a volunteer fire department.  We recently purchased two 2019 GMC Sierras for our chiefs to use instead of beating the bolts off of our personal vehicles.  They were purchased through a state purchase program that significantly reduced the costs of them.  From the very beginning, it was known these would be used as emergency vehicles, which inherently must be left idling for extended periods to power equipment.  After we took delivery of the vehicles, we were on scene of an incident on a very busy and dangerous stretch of interstate highway.  After a while it was noticed that the Sierra had shut off.  Did some looking and found this lovely excuse of a safety feature.  This feature is not conducive to emergency vehicle usage.  At all.  It puts our lives in danger when the vehicle we are using to provide protection at a scene suddenly shuts off and kills the emergency warning lights.  Took it to a dealer and they were unable to manipulate the computer.  Called GM "Customer Service" and they started looking into it.  Meanwhile, we did find that putting the vehicle in neutral with the parking brake on does bypass the shutdown.  We haven't tested for a length of time, simply because idling it just to test this is a waste of fuel.  Also, having an emergency vehicle stationary, idling, in neutral with the parking brake on is not something that will hold up in court should the vehicle start to roll and then injure someone.

So I just got off the phone with GM's "Customer Service" after a few weeks of back and forth phone calls.  They stated that GM will NOT do anything to adjust the computer programming, that they CAN'T alter the programming for safety reasons, and that they will NOT work with us to replace these vehicles that were sold to us without disclosing this feature.  Needless to say, neither our department nor the surrounding departments in the area will be purchasing GMC's in the future.

I wonder if GM will offer the police package on the next gen Tahoe/Yukon and, if they do, if they'll shut themselves off. 

27 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I wonder if GM will offer the police package on the next gen Tahoe/Yukon and, if they do, if they'll shut themselves off. 

I would hope they don’t include that.  They made mention that all vehicles would be push button ignition after next year and would therefore have this feature.  I’d be curious if they’ll keep the keyed ignition for the SSV packages.

8 hours ago, DeputyHoneybadger said:

The ignorance and arrogance is strong in this forum.  Who in their right mind would buy anything from Galls?  Apparently it’s assumed that a volunteer fire Department is automatically a bunch of yahoos.  Maybe where you live, but that is not the rule.

The vehicles were completely upfitted by a professional installer.  I don’t see what they have to do with GMs extended idle feature, so you are still making a fool of yourself while desperately trying to make an ass out of me.

Definitely not going for you looking bad - I apologize if that is the way it came across. 

On 1/23/2019 at 11:47 AM, Daverado said:

lol everyone just ignores the part about sleeping in it overnight when you need the heater on

That's because many of the fools on this forum have no idea what hard work on a 24-hour jobsite or multi-hour emergency site is and what all those trucks really have to be used for.  And obviously, GM management increasingly has no clue, either.  If a few snowflake tools want to kill themselves by running their Denalis in their garages with the door down, because their Starbucks foo-foo coffee drink wasn't made correctly that morning or Hunter Biden is being picked on or some other 'critical' issue like that, let them.  You can't fix stupid.  And it thins out the idiot herd that the rest of us have to deal with.  But make our damned trucks work like we need them to, 24/7/365.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

That's because many of the fools on this forum have no idea what hard work on a 24-hour jobsite or multi-hour emergency site is and what all those trucks really have to be used for.  And obviously, GM management increasingly has no clue, either.  If a few snowflake tools want to kill themselves by running their Denalis in their garages with the door down, because their Starbucks foo-foo coffee drink wasn't made correctly that morning or Hunter Biden is being picked on or some other 'critical' issue like that, let them.  You can't fix stupid.  And it thins out the idiot herd that the rest of us have to deal with.  But make our damned trucks work like we need them to, 24/7/365.  

Ok Top Gun.....Foo Foo and class warfare......making disparaging comments about a trim level of someone's truck.....class act there ace!   Bought cha a drink ?

giphy-2.gif

Edited by mwbutcher

On 10/10/2019 at 3:27 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

Excellent post!!!  Well stated.  I started this thread after freezing my nuts off sleeping at a job site.  I laid down and it was nice and toasty only to be wake with icicles hanging off my nostrils and the engine stopped.  My first reaction was WTF!?!?

Too many people don't realize there are MEN working jobs that run 24/7/365 like oil and gas drilling rigs.  We never shut down.

I will proudly mention I've never been inside a Starbucks and have never imbibed in any of their product(s) or spent a single penny with that despicable company.  I know, I digress...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rikhek said:

Excellent post!!!  Well stated.  I started this thread after freezing my nuts off sleeping at a job site.  I laid down and it was nice and toasty only to be wake with icicles hanging off my nostrils and the engine stopped.  My first reaction was WTF!?!?

Too many people don't realize there are MEN working jobs that run 24/7/365 like oil and gas drilling rigs.  We never shut down.

I will proudly mention I've never been inside a Starbucks and have never imbibed in any of their product(s) or spent a single penny with that despicable company.  I know, I digress...

Thanks.  Yeah, 4th generation oilfield and trucking family here.  

• 3 weeks later...

This is the worst possible feature you can have for a truck,  especially a work truck.   I work in remote locations throughout the year and now that winter is coming, the truck is my life line for heat !!.   I spend my day hiking through snow and brush sweating in -35-40° temperatures and this is the first week catch up with the 2019 truck. I’ve lost a lot of hours of work because the truck shuts off and I didn’t know it,  come back to the truck for batteries, but nothing is changed and it’s off. No heat, no chargers working means no equipment for work and no pay.   

This should’ve been an option that you could disable and because it’s not, Catch they should’ve had warning labels on the truck to let people know.  I really miss ford