Terrible Feature - Truck Shuts Off On It's Own?!?!

rikhek

5 hours ago, greatmizzou said:

That sounds expensive using a 2019 at4 for hours of job site lighting.

to each their own, but sounds like needless engine hours.  Doesn’t this also put stress wear on the auto transmission leaving it in park while running?  

Ok, now how about sleeping in it overnight when you need the heater on?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, greatmizzou said:

Doesn’t this also put stress wear on the auto transmission leaving it in park while running?  

Nope,  The torque converter is set up to handle running with no issues.  When the engine is idling and the trans is in park the internals of the trans are not moving other than the trans oil pump which cools the clutch and torus in the converter...  I may have inside Information on this... :P

29 minutes ago, TxSilver said:

Normally, the key fobs have a real key inside of them and the vehicle has a place to insert this real key. I wonder if the truck will still turn off if the real key is inserted?

Yes the fob does have a key in it but it is only to unlock the door. There is no place to use a key to start the vehicle.

2 hours ago, Booger T said:

Yes the fob does have a key in it but it is only to unlock the door. There is no place to use a key to start the vehicle.

Right, to start the truck when the fob battery is dead you place it in the center console pocket between the cupholders (don't recall bench seat location), and the truck can detect it passively rather than the normal active transmitting mode.

You only need the physical key to open the door when the fob battery is dead.

"Really sucks for me as I'll leave the truck idling for several hours at a time if headlights are needed to provide jobsite lighting."

http://bfy.tw/LwLr

I kid with the link but put that aside and I wonder what kind of damage you're doing by letting it idle for so long. A quick google on that and there are plenty of reasons not to let it idle so long. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmyc! said:

"Really sucks for me as I'll leave the truck idling for several hours at a time if headlights are needed to provide jobsite lighting."

http://bfy.tw/LwLr

I kid with the link but put that aside and I wonder what kind of damage you're doing by letting it idle for so long. A quick google on that and there are plenty of reasons not to let it idle so long. 

I'm sure it isn't the greatest to let it idle, one being fuel dilution in the oil.  But just think of all the police, taxi's, and other emergency vehicles that idle all day.  If it really was an issue I'm sure they would be replacing vehicles earlier than what they already do.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

I'm sure it isn't the greatest to let it idle, one being fuel dilution in the oil.  But just think of all the police, taxi's, and other emergency vehicles that idle all day.  If it really was an issue I'm sure they would be replacing vehicles earlier than what they already do.  Just a thought.

Taxis generally go several 100K miles, no problem. It’s laughable that people comment on things they haven’t experienced. I seen first hand many, many vehicles for 40 years that run all day, gas and diesel. In Texas working in 100 degree heat your in and out of your truck all day your not going to shut it off. Welders welding on pipelines same thing truck stays on all day. Pipe line mowers have trucks follow them to weed eat fence-lines, trucks stay running. I could make examples all day. If they make trucks that shut off on their own, that’s a sale killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daverado said:

Right, to start the truck when the fob battery is dead you place it in the center console pocket between the cupholders (don't recall bench seat location), and the truck can detect it passively rather than the normal active transmitting mode.

You only need the physical key to open the door when the fob battery is dead.

Thanks, didn't know that. I was wondering what good it would do to be able to unlock the doors and not start the truck.  I still agree with OP that it would be nice if truck would run until I didn't want it to. I know that in some states and jurisdiction it is illegal to leave a vehicle running unattended.

I guess we really can’t fault the techs for not considering people sleeping in their vehicles all night....but I will admit there are numerous jobs where vehicles idle for quite some time and this would be quite an annoyance!

my opinion, if you sleep in it that much I’d consider maybe an alternative vehicle or even towing one of those mini RVs that is literally a bed with ac and propane heat.  You would be much more comfortable! 

I posted about this a while ago, when I couldn't keep the truck running long enough to actually make the AC outlet in the bed useful. 

I too am disappointed that it only runs for an hour with the keys sitting in it.  I often spend a few hours sleeping in it as well and have woken up to a freezing cold vehicle a couple times.  I understand the shut off feature but I wish there was a manual over ride that could be triggered when needed.  

On 1/23/2019 at 8:37 PM, greatmizzou said:

I guess we really can’t fault the techs for not considering people sleeping in their vehicles all night....but I will admit there are numerous jobs where vehicles idle for quite some time and this would be quite an annoyance!

my opinion, if you sleep in it that much I’d consider maybe an alternative vehicle or even towing one of those mini RVs that is literally a bed with ac and propane heat.  You would be much more comfortable! 

I can't speak for OP but that's not a real solution for all of us.  When I come off a 35-40h shift, sometimes I need a nap before driving home.  I can't haul a trailer around 24/7 just incase, it's not practical.  

• Like 3