Terrible Feature - Truck Shuts Off On It's Own?!?!

rikhek

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

A loud chime would work well if you open the door with it running. They already do that if you leave the keys in the ignition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And just like my '16, it does on the '19 also if the engine is running and the driver's door is opened.

• Like 1

Ok, I was looking for an answer to this so I could run the A/C on a hot night at the drive-in. The clue was on the first page of this thread, that the timer would be reset if the vehicle was taken out of park. Set the parking brake, put it in neutral and it will run all night, or more than a couple hours at least... I ran for about 3 hours this way. Tested in a 2019 Silverado loaner (my car is in the shop).

Edited by David Hensley
Clarity

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 4:28 PM, rikhek said:

Maybe people should read what they're commenting on before posting useless AND incorrect info.  People shouldn't "guess" at answers to technical questions or questions to which they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

There are Very few ppl these days, ....there’s a difference between listening, and hearing!

Hey Guys, has anyone found a fix for this? I can attest that GM in the infinite wisdom (yeah right) did this as a safety related feature.

And, I’m sure since the truck is run by a computer that it could be manipulated. And , it is a huge problem as my dog goes with me everywhere, and I have to keep running out and checking on my truck every 20 freakin minutes,  as there’s NO exact time intervals that it decides to shut off! I need a permanent fix for this!

On 9/8/2019 at 8:56 PM, Pissed off chevy man said:

Hey Guys, has anyone found a fix for this? I can attest that GM in the infinite wisdom (yeah right) did this as a safety related feature.

And, I’m sure since the truck is run by a computer that it could be manipulated. And , it is a huge problem as my dog goes with me everywhere, and I have to keep running out and checking on my truck every 20 freakin minutes,  as there’s NO exact time intervals that it decides to shut off! I need a permanent fix for this!

i'm in the same boat with you, having my dog in the truck all the time. It was a shock to me to find out the truck would not stay running. After reading thru this entire thread I did find the solution.....took about 10 minutes.

On 2/14/2019 at 12:54 AM, ftwhite said:

"They" are the company that get sued by the lawyers us customers hire when we hurt ourselves, but don't blame ourselves. There is no big brother. Just a legal system setup to reward coffee spill-ers, and a government setup to provide teats. Welcome to the "land of the free".   

exactly!     what do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?  a good start! ?

• 4 weeks later...

Some back-story for you all:

I am a Deputy Chief of a volunteer fire department.  We recently purchased two 2019 GMC Sierras for our chiefs to use instead of beating the bolts off of our personal vehicles.  They were purchased through a state purchase program that significantly reduced the costs of them.  From the very beginning, it was known these would be used as emergency vehicles, which inherently must be left idling for extended periods to power equipment.  After we took delivery of the vehicles, we were on scene of an incident on a very busy and dangerous stretch of interstate highway.  After a while it was noticed that the Sierra had shut off.  Did some looking and found this lovely excuse of a safety feature.  This feature is not conducive to emergency vehicle usage.  At all.  It puts our lives in danger when the vehicle we are using to provide protection at a scene suddenly shuts off and kills the emergency warning lights.  Took it to a dealer and they were unable to manipulate the computer.  Called GM "Customer Service" and they started looking into it.  Meanwhile, we did find that putting the vehicle in neutral with the parking brake on does bypass the shutdown.  We haven't tested for a length of time, simply because idling it just to test this is a waste of fuel.  Also, having an emergency vehicle stationary, idling, in neutral with the parking brake on is not something that will hold up in court should the vehicle start to roll and then injure someone.

So I just got off the phone with GM's "Customer Service" after a few weeks of back and forth phone calls.  They stated that GM will NOT do anything to adjust the computer programming, that they CAN'T alter the programming for safety reasons, and that they will NOT work with us to replace these vehicles that were sold to us without disclosing this feature.  Needless to say, neither our department nor the surrounding departments in the area will be purchasing GMC's in the future.

Some back-story for you all:
I am a Deputy Chief of a volunteer fire department.  We recently purchased two 2019 GMC Sierras for our chiefs to use instead of beating the bolts off of our personal vehicles.  They were purchased through a state purchase program that significantly reduced the costs of them.  From the very beginning, it was known these would be used as emergency vehicles, which inherently must be left idling for extended periods to power equipment.  After we took delivery of the vehicles, we were on scene of an incident on a very busy and dangerous stretch of interstate highway.  After a while it was noticed that the Sierra had shut off.  Did some looking and found this lovely excuse of a safety feature.  This feature is not conducive to emergency vehicle usage.  At all.  It puts our lives in danger when the vehicle we are using to provide protection at a scene suddenly shuts off and kills the emergency warning lights.  Took it to a dealer and they were unable to manipulate the computer.  Called GM "Customer Service" and they started looking into it.  Meanwhile, we did find that putting the vehicle in neutral with the parking brake on does bypass the shutdown.  We haven't tested for a length of time, simply because idling it just to test this is a waste of fuel.  Also, having an emergency vehicle stationary, idling, in neutral with the parking brake on is not something that will hold up in court should the vehicle start to roll and then injure someone.

So I just got off the phone with GM's "Customer Service" after a few weeks of back and forth phone calls.  They stated that GM will NOT do anything to adjust the computer programming, that they CAN'T alter the programming for safety reasons, and that they will NOT work with us to replace these vehicles that were sold to us without disclosing this feature.  Needless to say, neither our department nor the surrounding departments in the area will be purchasing GMC's in the future.

Sorry to hear this. If you’re in the Houston area, and don’t have gap insurance, call your insurance and add additional insurance just in case your truck gets into flood waters [emoji6] then you’ll be set, that is you won’t be out of pocket and you’ll do much more research and get whatever your heart desires. Good luck!

Sent from Above

55 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

So you didn't do your homework and you came on here to bash the brand.

Happy trails.

:)

So you didn't do your homework and you came on here to bash people with legitimate concerns by using your orange troll fingers.  Unless you were specifically looking for this exact problem you wouldn't find it in the research.

Keep your trails and your "intellect".  They're not wanted.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, DeputyHoneybadger said:

So you didn't do your homework and you came on here to bash people with legitimate concerns by using your orange troll fingers.  Unless you were specifically looking for this exact problem you wouldn't find it in the research.

Keep your trails and your "intellect".  They're not wanted.

Who would buy a personal use vehicle for professional use.   It should have been sent to an emergency vehicle equipment installer and properly outfitted.  Since you didn't do that, then the research falls on you and the vehicle failure is in reality your failure since it was never intended to be a emergency response vehicle.  If you did take it to a professional emergency vehicle outfitter, then it falls on them and not the truck/brand.  So did you take it to a professional emergency equipment installer?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mwbutcher said:

Who would buy a personal use vehicle for professional use.   It should have been sent to an emergency vehicle equipment installer and properly outfitted.  Since you didn't do that, then the research falls on you and the vehicle failure is in reality your failure since it was never intended to be a emergency response vehicle.  If you did take it to a professional emergency vehicle outfitter, then it falls on them and not the truck/brand.  So did you take it to a professional emergency equipment installer?  

Please do not pet the troll.

• Like 1

I’ve lost you there, “professional use” I use my truck when working and would run it over the pier if I had that crap happen to me. These new trucks rigged by the epa to create a nightmare for truck owners. Why can’t the truck just run the lights on for as long as you want? That BS!

Sent from Above
  • Like 1