Terrible Feature - Truck Shuts Off On It's Own?!?!

rikhek

Well.  I'm here because I too need a way to disable this "feature".  I traded in my 2018 Denali for the 2020 AT4 2500 Duramax.  I use these trucks to haul trained military working dogs to their final locations.  The trailers we transport these dogs in rely on vehicles running to power airflow controls (heat/bringing in fresh air), lighting and water pump.  Today, after thirty minutes of being in a meeting I walk out and my truck is off -- and the dogs have no heat (it's 22 degrees out).  I instantly freak out thinking I made the mistake of shutting the truck off.  (Why would I ever assume the truck turns off on it's own?). So I restart the truck, we begin the process of unloading dogs, as we are the truck shuts off again.  Our trucks (companies) sometimes run for hours - this is just nature of the business.  The fact we can not disable this feature is an issue.  I have already spoken with the dealership to return the vehicle as I have less than 100 miles on it.  The truck does not work for me because of this one simple "feature". Yes, I'm sure there are work arounds as some of you posted in here -- "restart the truck when it goes off".  This does not scale.  I'm in disbelief that they did not provide an option to turn this off..... so there is no fix ... this is confirmed... as they are taking my truck back because of it.

I would have a generator on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I would have a generator on the trailer.

This makes a lot of sense in many ways because the generator would then always be where the power is needed and probably a lot more efficient for the job as well.

• Like 2

I work for a professional emergency vehicle upfitter. Over 40 years experience doing police equipment installs. I just finished a 2020 Silverado 1500 SSV. It still has an ignition key. Answers an earlier question about the police package vehicles shutting off if left idling for extended period of time.  Maybe the Deputy Fire Chief's department may need to look at replacing the 2019 GMC's with a 2020 Chevy 1500 police package. 

Edited by James S
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Researched also and stumbled on this thread 

it’s 15 min if key is in vehicle, up to one hour if the key outside vehicle and the doors locked. 

pop the hood I believe will disable it. The ecm will think it’s in service and stay running. Still looking for a ecm setting work around. 

Edited by JonD

• 2 months later...

I have been buying (2) 1500 silverado's every year for the past 11 years with the awsome 6.2L. They are used as business trucks for  work in the field in remote locations. The people that are using these trucks are using them as mobile offices. This feature of shutting off when ever it wants is for the birds. I realize that this was installed as a safety feature but it is a big pain in the butt! If their are that many dumb people out there that they can't tell when their vehicle is running or not, maybe the push button is to advanced for them and we need to return to a key system. I hate that I am being forced to look for other options for trucks and as of this morning a Dodge 1500 Limited got the nod. Im going to miss the awsome trucks chevrolet makes but as the cold is coming and I can't have people in freezing conditions with trucks that dictate to them when they will work! If your looking for a daily commuter and not a work truck look at Chevrolet!!! Such a shame!!!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 2:40 PM, rikhek said:

Truck is a 2019 Sierra AT4 and I'm really surprised to find it shuts itself off on it's own after idling for somewhere around 10 - 15 minutes.  I'll admit I have not had time to read the manual yet but this was not an "option or setting" in any of the settings menus.

Really sucks for me as I'll leave the truck idling for several hours at a time if headlights are needed to provide jobsite lighting.  I'll be elbow deep in "work" and the damn thing just goes off.  I need to go over to truck and restart every 10 - 15 minutes which is a pain in the ass.  I won't even get into how bad it is when I have to sleep in the truck while on a remote jobsite.  It gets cold very quickly when it shuts off....

Rick

I guess you should have researched the truck better first.

2020 OM:

If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter inside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to an hour.

The timer will reset if the vehicle is taken out of P (Park) while it is running.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 1:40 PM, rikhek said:

Truck is a 2019 Sierra AT4 and I'm really surprised to find it shuts itself off on it's own after idling for somewhere around 10 - 15 minutes.  I'll admit I have not had time to read the manual yet but this was not an "option or setting" in any of the settings menus.

Really sucks for me as I'll leave the truck idling for several hours at a time if headlights are needed to provide jobsite lighting.  I'll be elbow deep in "work" and the damn thing just goes off.  I need to go over to truck and restart every 10 - 15 minutes which is a pain in the ass.  I won't even get into how bad it is when I have to sleep in the truck while on a remote jobsite.  It gets cold very quickly when it shuts off....

Rick

Were you able to ever figure this out?

I think my truck is broken. The auto-off feature has not happened since the first week I bought my truck, back in July 2020.

I did have a brake ECM light, drove it in and they said they just had to flash it. Never shut off again after that. 

should I complain?

kidding, of course I’m not going to complain! It was annoying the first week.

Edited by Cjanik

Guys I guess I never noticed this thread, this product will fix this issue and a ton of other cool features [emoji4]

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/t1-pickup-wams-spec-bcm-programming/

WAMS - In addition to programming it so that the truck doesn’t automatically turn off while idling in park, can you also make it so that accessory mode stays on indefinitely (or lengthen the timer)? I’m talking about the mode when you press the start button without your foot on the brake pedal).

On 12/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, GTPprix said:

Guys I guess I never noticed this thread, this product will fix this issue and a ton of other cool features :)

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/t1-pickup-wams-spec-bcm-programming/

Is there a full list of changes that can be made?

ETA.... I guess I should have asked is there a list of how long the timer is change for? As in hrs or eliminated?

Edited by gemarsh

6 hours ago, gemarsh said:

Is there a full list of changes that can be made?

ETA.... I guess I should have asked is there a list of how long the timer is change for? As in hrs or eliminated?

The maximum value for fob in/out of vehicle time is 99999.0 Seconds... should be enough right? ?