Terrible Feature - Truck Shuts Off On It's Own?!?!

rikhek

It's supposed to... Sorry, didn't read all the comments but, the engine is supposed to shut down when you come to a stop, under certain conditions. See page 210 of the owners manual it will tell you all about it...  It can also be inhibited  by pressing the engine function button  on the dash. Ha .... that was the first thing my dealer showed me when he gave me the Pre Delivery Show.

Sorry.....didn't see your original

posting date of Jan 2019....

Edited by Darry Pastula

5 hours ago, Darry Pastula said:

It's supposed to... Sorry, didn't read all the comments but, the engine is supposed to shut down when you come to a stop, under certain conditions. See page 210 of the owners manual it will tell you all about it...  It can also be inhibited  by pressing the engine function button  on the dash. Ha .... that was the first thing my dealer showed me when he gave me the Pre Delivery Show.

Sorry.....didn't see your original

posting date of Jan 2019....

not what the thread is about.  it's about leaving the truck running when it's parked, not about when you stop at a light while driving...

On 12/21/2020 at 2:03 PM, fsuboy75 said:

It did not work for me...at least the three ways I just did it.

1.  Press brake, press and held start button for 15 seconds....probably more like 20.  Shut off at 30 min.

2.  Press brake, press button, kept button pressed but took foot off brake for like another 20 seconds just to be sure.  Shut off at 30 min.

Both times no indications, beeps or messages popped up.

3.  Press brake, press start, released.  Pressed button again quick, obviously shut off.

Was the remote inside the truck while you were testing it?

Didnt read about the 15 second thing until now, but yesterday I had the dealer Update or reflash my truck with the UF3 Fast Idle Feature (my 3500 didnt come with it)  Was about $150 to "rewrite" the computer from GM. 

I tested it and it ran for over 3 hours without shutting down.  Remote left inside the cab (just like if it had a key, it would need to be inside)

You can test if you already have the fast idle feature in your truck by 

start truck, 

parking brake on

turn cruise control on

press "set"

(make sure youre not pressing on the brake)

If your idle goes up, then you have it, if it doesnt you dont.

to disengage the fast idle press on the brake or turn off cruise control, to engage it again just "set" your cruise again without pressing on the brake. 

hope this helps, it definitely worked for me yesterday tested it for almost 3.5 hours.  Not sure how long itll stay on but at least I can sleep at cold rest stops longer than one hour now.  

• Like 1

Didnt read about the 15 second thing until now, but yesterday I had the dealer Update or reflash my truck with the UF3 Fast Idle Feature (my 3500 didnt come with it)  Was about $150 to "rewrite" the computer from GM. 
I tested it and it ran for over 3 hours without shutting down.  Remote left inside the cab (just like if it had a key, it would need to be inside)
You can test if you already have the fast idle feature in your truck by 
start truck, 
parking brake on
turn cruise control on
press "set"
(make sure youre not pressing on the brake)
If your idle goes up, then you have it, if it doesnt you dont.
to disengage the fast idle press on the brake or turn off cruise control, to engage it again just "set" your cruise again without pressing on the brake. 
hope this helps, it definitely worked for me yesterday tested it for almost 3.5 hours.  Not sure how long itll stay on but at least I can sleep at cold rest stops longer than one hour now.  

Interesting. Although I think most of us have 1500’s. I haven’t heard of fast idle for the half tons.

1 hour ago, bamorris2 said:

Interesting. Although I think most of us have 1500’s. I haven’t heard of fast idle for the half tons.

Correct.

UF3         High idle switch

is a 2500/3500 thing.

On 1/11/2021 at 6:17 PM, RhinoGuy said:

Pressing and holding down the start button for 10-15 seconds disables this in my 21 Yukon.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Are you leaving a FOB inside, or does that not matter?

Foot on the brake, press and hold, engine starts, keep holding for 10 to 15 seconds?    

Any indicators that tell you this engages?   

Are you leaving a FOB inside, or does that not matter?

Foot on the brake, press and hold, engine starts, keep holding for 10 to 15 seconds?    

Any indicators that tell you this engages?   

Remote inside of the vehicle, hold down the brake, press and hold start button for 10-15 seconds.

ETA: just tried without holding the brake the whole time. It still works. And to clarify, the engine does start just like normal during the process. You just dont stop pressing the button like you normally would starting the vehicle.

075d42f71768cd59f28d7fd8b5bd0ed0.jpg

Just started the vehicle doing the 15 second trick. Took a the fob out of the vehicle, locked the door using the fob, and brought the fob into my house. I'll update you guys in a hour to see if it's still running.

Still running!

• Like 1