Terrible Feature - Truck Shuts Off On It's Own?!?!

rikhek

I just read the actual bulletin.  It may have more to do with the laptop module being hooked up to it too, on that way of thinking.   

I’m having a hard time pulling it back up on my phone. Doesn’t it say before hooking up the laptop, pop the hood and push the button for 15 sec and a message pops on the dash? If I’m remembering correct that was before hooking up the laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Mercracing said:

I’m having a hard time pulling it back up on my phone. Doesn’t it say before hooking up the laptop, pop the hood and push the button for 15 sec and a message pops on the dash? If I’m remembering correct that was before hooking up the laptop.

I was just going to mention that, because I kept wondering if it was something that had to be enabled by a dealer tool. The procedure does indicate the shutdown disable is activated before the computer is even hooked up. who knows!

14 minutes ago, Mercracing said:

You are correct....it says open the hood, start the vehicle, hold the button.   

Then plug in the laptop.....after plugging in the laptop you idle the engine up by using a function on it.

What im implying is that the truck may sense the laptop hooked up and not shut down.  

BUT later in the bulletin it does say if the engine does shut down, to simply restart it and continue with the test.   

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2019 at 4:49 PM, redwngr said:

Yes it will shut off -- after 2 hours, according to the 2019 manual (page 228 in sierra version) , under extended parking. 

"If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter outside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to half an hour.

If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter inside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to an hour.

So I just did a run time test to figure a few things out.

Key fob left in vehicle.....runs for 1 hour.

If you lock the key fob in the vehicle the passive unlock on the door handle does NOT unlock the truck!!   I don't know if the fob in the center console was not close enough to the door or it actually sensed it was in the vehicle.  I had to get the other fob from the house, when that fob was present and close enough to the door the passive unlock button worked.   

So there's that.  Good thing I knew this prior....or my truck would be locked, shut off in the middle of the road with no lighting.    So I'm taking both fobs with me from now on.   

Anyone know if leaving a fob inside the console hidden would be a problem?  If I disable the passive lock system no one can get in when the vehicle is not in use, and unless they know a fob is in the console they wouldn't think to start it if they did break out a window to get inside. 

I read somewhere, and now I can't find it, that GM will disable it for first responders with documentation and a fee?  Like $250.

Anyone know?

Edited by fsuboy75

So I just did a run time test to figure a few things out.

Key fob left in vehicle.....runs for 1 hour.
If you lock the key fob in the vehicle the passive unlock on the door handle does NOT unlock the truck!!   I don't know if the fob in the center console was not close enough to the door or it actually sensed it was in the vehicle.  I had to get the other fob from the house, when that fob was present and close enough to the door the passive unlock button worked.   
So there's that.  Good thing I knew this prior....or my truck would be locked, shut off in the middle of the road with no lighting.    So I'm taking both fobs with me from now on.   

Anyone know if leaving a fob inside the console hidden would be a problem?  If I disable the passive lock system no one can get in when the vehicle is not in use, and unless they know a fob is in the console they wouldn't think to start it if they did break out a window to get inside. 

I read somewhere, and now I can't find it, that GM will disable it for first responders with documentation and a fee?  Like $250.

Anyone know?

Judging by the amount of feedback we are getting about just this feature I don’t think dealers can do it although we do allow you to set it to 27 hours if you think that may be enough hahah
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, GTPprix said:

Yup!

I'm very interested in this product, but I'd like more information, I've read over all the details on the product page and I still have a bunch of questions about how the programming actually works. the page has a listing of what things it can change but it doesn't explain by how much it can change them.

Its a very exciting product and looks like it can fix many of the annoyances GM built into the truck. hungry for more info!

Edited by kodiakdenali

I'm very interested in this product, but I'd like more information, I've read over all the details on the product page and I still have a bunch of questions about how the programming actually works. the page has a listing of what things it can change but it doesn't explain by how much it can change them.
Its a very exciting product and looks like it can fix many of the annoyances GM built into the truck. hungry for more info!

It can change those features as much as possible think of it as HP tuners for your bcm. If you have specific parameter questions drop us a line from the website and we can pull the exact ranges if necessary.

3 minutes ago, GTPprix said:

It can change those features as much as possible think of it as HP tuners for your bcm. If you have specific parameter questions drop us a line from the website and we can pull the exact ranges if necessary.

excited ?

I actually did send a message through the web site with a bunch of questions asking for specifics and technical details of what it can do. it was right around when you were changing how you actually deliver the product from a rental to a purchase so you can make additional changes in the future (that was one of my questions) I didn't actually get the specifics and range details I was after though. I'm probably over thinking things, but I'm an engineer...its what we do! Could I resend that list of questions and get some of the technical details?

You also showed a demo of a new ability to implement automatic control of the seat heaters in another post recently, is that part of the BCM reprogram or another product altogether? Depending on the details of how that works I'd be interested in that also. I'm surprised this truck doesn't turn the seat heaters on automatically on startup in cold weather.

10 minutes ago, kodiakdenali said:

excited ?

I actually did send a message through the web site with a bunch of questions asking for specifics and technical details of what it can do. it was right around when you were changing how you actually deliver the product from a rental to a purchase so you can make additional changes in the future (that was one of my questions) I didn't actually get the specifics and range details I was after though. I'm probably over thinking things, but I'm an engineer...its what we do! Could I resend that list of questions and get some of the technical details?

You also showed a demo of a new ability to implement automatic control of the seat heaters in another post recently, is that part of the BCM reprogram or another product altogether? Depending on the details of how that works I'd be interested in that also. I'm surprised this truck doesn't turn the seat heaters on automatically on startup in cold weather.

Don't they turn on the seats by the RKE remote start??

1 minute ago, fsuboy75 said:

Don't they turn on the seats by the RKE remote start??

yes, and its definitely nice! but once you actually start the truck (whether you remote started it or not) the heaters turn off and have to be turned on manual. big deal? no not at all. but having owned a couple of FCA products both would turn the heaters on automatically on startup if it was cold outside, and they'd turn on the vents automatically when its hot. it was just a nice feature to have.

although they also did turn the heated wheel on automatically as well, that I would prefer not to have. I don't like the heated wheel so much, only when its really cold. heated seats sure, anything below 50 or so I like them. the heated wheel I don't care for until its in the single digits. so even with those cars that did turn the heaters on automatically, it was really nice, but I'd always have to turn the wheel off manually right away. so I like the idea, I just want more options. I want the wheel to stay manual, but I would really like the seats to turn on for heat or vent based on ambient temp on startup, remote started or not. just my preference!

one nice thing about the T1's auto heaters with remote start is it will turn the wheel on when you remote start, but it doesn't stay on, it turns off automatically when you push the start button so when you start driving the wheel is warm, but no longer getting hotter so it never gets to the point where it starts making your hand sweat. I actually do like that.

The heaters on by remote start (in pickups) has been a thing for years. 

No lights on the dash if you look in the window, and when unlocked and ignition enabled to drive, it will be necessary to turn on the seat/wheel/window heaters again. 

GM does the automatic seat heaters thing on some of their models -- but not on full size pickups. 

2020 Acadia owners manual:

Auto Heated and Ventilated Seats

If the vehicle is equipped with auto heated or ventilated seats, and the engine is running, this feature will
automatically activate the heated or ventilated seats at the level required by the vehicle's interior temperature.

The active high, medium, low, or off heated or ventilated seat level will be indicated by the manual heated
and ventilated seat buttons on the center stack.

Use the manual heated and ventilated seat buttons on the center stack to turn auto heated or ventilated seats off. If the passenger seat is unoccupied, the auto heated or ventilated seats feature will not activate that seat.

The auto heated and ventilated seats feature can be programmed to always be enabled when the vehicle
is on. If equipped with a heated steering wheel, the auto heated steering wheel activation will follow the heated seat auto activation and
the heated wheel indicator will follow the state of the steering wheel heat.

• 2 weeks later...