Terrible Feature - Truck Shuts Off On It's Own?!?!

rikhek

Truck is a 2019 Sierra AT4 and I'm really surprised to find it shuts itself off on it's own after idling for somewhere around 10 - 15 minutes.  I'll admit I have not had time to read the manual yet but this was not an "option or setting" in any of the settings menus.

Really sucks for me as I'll leave the truck idling for several hours at a time if headlights are needed to provide jobsite lighting.  I'll be elbow deep in "work" and the damn thing just goes off.  I need to go over to truck and restart every 10 - 15 minutes which is a pain in the ass.  I won't even get into how bad it is when I have to sleep in the truck while on a remote jobsite.  It gets cold very quickly when it shuts off....

Rick

Interesting.  I wonder why they designed this into it.  This is what I found in the owners manual.  "If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter outside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to half an hour."

No mention of how to turn this feature off.

30 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

There is a switch in which turns off the Auto Shut off on your dash.

You might also read my post.  My issue VERY CLEARLY describes the issue and it has NOTHING to do with the Auto Start/Stop feature.

Edited by rikhek
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rikhek said:

You might want to read my post prior to commenting...  I don't want the damn thing off!?!?!?!?!?

So your auto start/stop is off and the truck shuts off? Is the FOB inside the truck?

Edited by O Town Denali

Found this relative to the subject.  Article states that it will shut down after 1 hour with FOB outside of vehicle and 2 hours if left in vehicle.

I've always had the FOB in my pocket but guarantee I'm not getting 1 hour prior to shut off.  If I left FOB in vehicle it says I'll get 2 hours.  Stupid decision to not offer a way to disable...

https://www.kidsandcars.org/2018/03/02/general-motors-quietly-installs-keyless-engine-shutoff/

13 minutes ago, O Town Denali said:

So your auto start/stop is off and the truck shuts off? Is the FOB inside the truck?

I don't believe I've had the auto start/stop disabled anytime it's happened and the FOB has always been outside truck in my pocket with truck in Park.

I pulled up the owners manual and it clearly defines the feature.  I think it's a terrible feature and should include an override or disable switch....

Extended Parking It is best not to park with the vehicle running. If the vehicle is left running, be sure it will not move and there is adequate ventilation. See Shifting Into Park 0 223 and Engine Exhaust 0 226. If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter outside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to half an hour. Chevrolet Silverado Owner Manual (GMNA-Localizing-U.S./Canada/Mexico1500-11698642) - 2019 - crc - 5/15/18 226 Driving and Operating If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter inside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to an hour. The vehicle could turn off sooner if it is parked on a hill, due to lack of available fuel. The timer will reset if the vehicle is taken out of P (Park) while it is running.

Edited by rikhek
  • Like 1

Somebody is a bit sensitive, People are trying to help and maybe didn't fully understand what you were trying to say, no need to jump down their throats, doesn't get people to help you that way. Have a great day!  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

Somebody is a bit sensitive, People are trying to help and maybe didn't fully understand what you were trying to say, no need to jump down their throats, doesn't get people to help you that way. Have a great day!  

Maybe people should read what they're commenting on before posting useless AND incorrect info.  People shouldn't "guess" at answers to technical questions or questions to which they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Edited by rikhek
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, sethro274 said:

Its a safety feature so you dont pull up in your garage and kill yourself. 

Leave the key in the car and it wont quit. 

Yes it will shut off -- after 2 hours, according to the 2019 manual (page 228 in sierra version) , under extended parking. 

"If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter outside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to half an hour.

If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter inside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to an hour.

The vehicle could turn off sooner if it is parked on a hill, due to lack of available fuel.

The timer will reset if the vehicle is taken out of P (Park) while it is running.'

Edited by redwngr