No more 8spd transmissions?

I'm a long term K2 Silverado owner from this forum.  Just started looking at "potentially" swapping out my wife's Buick Enclave for a Tahoe or Yukon.  Primarily for me to drive on long family road trips, as I feel like a leprechaun folded up in the Enclave (left foot dead-pedal sticks way too far out).  Looking at an '18 or 19 Yukon/Tahoe, I see the 5.3L with he 6spd trans and the 6.2L with the 10spd.  My '14 truck has the 6spd.  I thought they quit using that thing years ago, like in '15.  I was expecting 8 and 10spd transmissions in a '19 Tahoe.  I swear the older Tahoe's had the 8spd's in them....    Either way, ideally I want the new Ford/GM 10-spd, and the 5.3L with the 2pd 4WD Case and the max tow pkg.  Just wondering what happened to the 8spd transmissions in the SUV's.  IIRC the trucks still have the 8spds.

On a side note, more differences between the trucks and SUV's than I expected.  I figured an LT Tahoe was like my '14 LT silverado.  Not really... the LT Tahoe is much more uptown. 

Edited by FL335i

K2s with AFM 5.3s have always been paired with the 6L80.  Too much of a good thing to mess up!  The 6.2 was paired with the 8-speed until 2017, then with the 10-speed from 2018 and this year thus far.

The 2019 5.3 DFM motor is paired up with the 8-speed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Havasubum said:

My Denali has the 8 speed.  It's horrible.  Harsh up and down shifting especially in stop and go traffic.  Don't buy one.  The 10 speed GM/Ford is supposed to be much better.

You obviously have a problem, take it in. My 2018 SLT is problem free.

6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

K2s with AFM 5.3s have always been paired with the 6L80.  Too much of a good thing to mess up!  The 6.2 was paired with the 8-speed until 2017, then with the 10-speed from 2018 and this year thus far.

The 2019 5.3 DFM motor is paired up with the 8-speed.

What could you get the 10 speed in (2018)?

43 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

yeah the 6 speed is very refined compared to the 8 or 10 speed, .

who wants close ratio gears on a truck anyway..  come repair time the 8-10 speeds will have so many parts , the tear down, clean and inspection will take days...

Interesting point.  Feeling and hearing gears shifting is part of the driving experience, imo. (A true heavy duty manual transmission would still be my choice in a Tahoe or pickup!)  The 6spd  makes for a smooth yet assertive feel when driving.  You know you're driving a truck yet the engine doesn't rev too high before moving to the next gear.  I know "we're" striving for a continuous feel in smoothness while driving.  Perhaps such experience will serve us well as we move on to our Shopriders...

• Haha 2

Well thanks for all the input everyone.  Makes sense now.  1- I am not buying anything with the 8spd.  They can keep it.  The 5.3L with the 6spd is the more "sure bet" combo.  I actually really like my 6spd.  My only complaint is in heavy city traffic trying to drive and keep up with some of the buzz boxes, it can feel like the transmission is on drugs the shifts take so long.  but 98% of the time I really like it.  I also noticed that it really like fresh fluid.  I really don't want to gamble on the 10spd this early, or have to buy the 6.2L/Denali.