TURN OFF AUTO REAR DEFOG?

8 hours ago, rah7777777 said:

I'm in Texas... In the past 10 years I can't think of a single time with my old truck where I thought I sure wish I had a rear defroster. 

I'll never use it, so I don't care if its plugged in at all. and I really don't want my glass shattering for a feature I don't even need.

I just hope it doesn't throw some kind of error light when I disconnect it.

Funny because I live in Dallas and my rear window has been frosted over every morning so far this week. Sure glad I had my auto defrost

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Funny because I live in Dallas and my rear window has been frosted over every morning so far this week. Sure glad I had my auto defrost

Yes, Texas is a big state and I'm sure there are areas that need the window/mirror defrost feature more than others.  Use it or not, there is no reason to disable this option.  I have adjustable pedals which are never used.  I could disable this option to prevent it from breaking but this feature could prove useful in the future.  This may be my last truck, but I won't be its last owner!   I remember my father telling me I'm wasting money buying 4 wheel drive in our mild climate.  I will go long periods of time without needing 4X4 but I'm sure glad I have this option.  We're currently experiencing a period of heavy snowfall and 4 wheel drive vehicles were the only ones making it off our street for days!

• Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, ajensen383 said:

I have the same problem with mine, its frustrating, I don't want the rear defroster on every time the temp is below a certain temp... I also cant get my heated seats to come on automatically either even though I have the setting switched to "on" ...

When heated seats are enabled at remote start, the seats will heat up but there will be no light on the switch telling you that they're on. Once the key is inserted you'll have to manually turn the heated seats back on if so desired.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

When heated seats are enabled at remote start, the seats will heat up but there will be no light on the switch telling you that they're on. Once the key is inserted you'll have to manually turn the heated seats back on if so desired.

Thanks.. I didn't know that. I never felt the seat being warm when I sit in it after I remote start.. Though I do not let my truck warm up for 10 minutes either...at most 2 or 3 minutes

In my wifes traverse, remote starting doesn't turn the light for the seats either, but when you get in a push the start button, the seat indicators light lights up automatically... I didn't know the trucks shut off when inserting the key

Thanks.. I didn't know that. I never felt the seat being warm when I sit in it after I remote start.. Though I do not let my truck warm up for 10 minutes either...at most 2 or 3 minutes

In my wifes traverse, remote starting doesn't turn the light for the seats either, but when you get in a push the start button, the seat indicators light lights up automatically... I didn't know the trucks shut off when inserting the key

Yes.. they describe it in the manual.
3171c438c30d2d03e5e5437d55039c57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

I really wish the rear window defroster worked the same way.  I do not like it when I look down and realize it's been on for a long time because I didn't notice it when I started the truck.  It would be especially annoying to have it cause my window to blow out.

• 2 months later...
On 13/02/2019 at 8:51 AM, Donstar said:

There are several examples of exploding rear windows found on the internet.  I am confident that the number of broken rear windows caused by rear-window defrost failure is miniscule next to the number of vehicles with this feature.  If there is an identified risk inherent with '14-'18 GM 1500's then why not check for a fix rather than disable this option? 

There are unreported cases for sure. Minuscule maybe but deadly. I had mine almost got burned by the sparks, sparks hit my child seat burning it! ist, smokes & when there is smoke, there is fire. 2nd, sparks then shattering of glass. I was able to put the fire out and my children away from harm. 

On 2/12/2019 at 5:56 PM, rah7777777 said:

I plan on disconnecting my wires to the rear defroster. I’ll never use it in Texas and I don’t want my window to blow out as I use remote start all the time

There's a thread or two about the guys disconnecting their rear-defrost and attaching the wires in the glass to use that as their AM/FM Antenna.