2019 AT4, tomorrow

Hey, I'm taking a final drive of the 2019 AT4 tomorrow morning. 56k after loyalty incentives, and they're giving me 13k for my 2008 Tundra with 168k miles. I'd rather wait for the new tundra, but will that ever come? Not soon enough. The RAM is much nicer inside, but everyone says it'll be in the shop all the time, and I don't know, RAMS have always seemed like hillbilly trucks to me . So here's my worry: I like the AT4, love the 6.2, like a lot of the tech, but the interior is so uninspired. Very disappointed in what's basically a retread of last year's model. And because they're getting so much criticism over that, I could easily see them changing that for the 2020. Would they do that? That would give me serious buyer's remorse if they tricked it out the very next year. I know it's my decision. I guess I'm just verbalizing my trepidation. :-)

• Like 2

I have exact same problem. My 2016 lease is up and I’m looking at buying an AT4 6.2 but I usually never get cars with dark interiors and that color scheme is weird. I’m hesitant on making a decision thinking they’ll make changes for 2020. 

1 hour ago, gavriel1973 said:

Hey, I'm taking a final drive of the 2019 AT4 tomorrow morning. 56k after loyalty incentives, and they're giving me 13k for my 2008 Tundra with 168k miles. I'd rather wait for the new tundra, but will that ever come? Not soon enough. The RAM is much nicer inside, but everyone says it'll be in the shop all the time, and I don't know, RAMS have always seemed like hillbilly trucks to me . So here's my worry: I like the AT4, love the 6.2, like a lot of the tech, but the interior is so uninspired. Very disappointed in what's basically a retread of last year's model. And because they're getting so much criticism over that, I could easily see them changing that for the 2020. Would they do that? That would give me serious buyer's remorse if they tricked it out the very next year. I know it's my decision. I guess I'm just verbalizing my trepidation. :-)

I wouldn’t expect any major changes. The 2020 HD trucks have been revealed and the interior is basically identical to the 19 half tons. If they were going to do some improvements, I’d imagine they would have shown up there first. Not saying they won’t add a thing or two over the years, but is it worth waiting for something that may never come? Up to you.

Everyone liked the last interior so they didn’t need to totally re-invent the wheel. The people complaining the loudest about it are the dumb automotive journalists who don’t actually use trucks in their own lives. They are too enthralled with the over the top filigree stitching all over the Ram to actually view it from a functionality and / or long term durability standpoint.

• Like 2

The Good Ol'e 2019 Gm vs. 2019 RAM interior debate.

Yes, no doubt in fact 2019 GM T1 trucks took a step back in the interior dept.

Definitely NOT what you would expect from a next Generation brand new "from the ground up" truck, let alone car or even SUV.

Especially at these outrageous second mortgage prices.

That being said, Loyal GM brand followers and buyers are probably not as disappointed as those who are potential new GM customers coming from a different brand or looking at all new brands.

Honestly.... I would not buy a new vehicle just for the interior alone.

And I can guarantee you one thing.....  the 2019 GM truck interiors are going to be far more reliable than the 2019 RAM interiors down the road.

So you do not want to wait for a new Toyota redesign, and you think that in 2020 GM might redesign the Sierra's interior.

I would not hold my breathe on either. Follow your gut and let your conscious be your guide! :thumbs:

Bro, get over the interior thing?  Get the Ram and complain in 1-2 years why all that crap is not working let alone the other nonsense with their builds......I was sickened myself with the 2014 GM interiors.  Years later I have found they are the easiest to operate and most durable hands down.  

• Like 1

I’d hold off another couple years, wait till all the loose screws are screwed down tight and then look at your options. Dodge is a pc of junk, always has been and always will be, stay away from Dodge. GMC AT4 is a much better choice out of all the trucks on the road but because you seem a bit unsure, I’d hold off at least a couple more years. Pay attention now that people have little things they’re complaining about with the new GM’s, may be something you’re not going to like as well. The Tundra May be reborn but have issues of its own too.

Sent from above

Update:

Onyx black AT4 with tech package is now in my garage.  Sticker 62,500, got a 3500 loyalty rebate, and 2700 off, so rolled out of there at about 56k.  I drove there to drive it without even cleaning out my Tundra, because I didn't think there was any chance they'd give me what I needed on my trade.  But they did, and I loved the way it drove, again, and the weird seats grew on me, and I realized the differences in the interior were really skin deep, and none of the crap they added to the RAM was going to wow me in 6 months or a year, and they're all just more parts to break.  My heart will probably still break if this summer sees a new Tundra, but I'm very happy with my new truck.  It's pretty great.  Thanks for your advice guys.

image.png.0831210e115b482324214339c0992d0d.png

• Like 4

Wonder what the insurance on those is these days? Lol....I wouldn't even check with having 2 on my record in the last 3 years.

Nice Truck by the way. I'm still rocking my 04 Chevy Tahoe Base Model purchased new on Jan 15, 2005 . It's had it good and bad days but properly maintained they last a long time excluding the rust in the wheel wheels. Wish I could cut them out, prime, paint with heavy duty bedliner coating and adhere and bolt a new wheel well on but I don't think I could do that regardless.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GM is shuttering many car plants as GM loses money on cars as we all probably find it hard to believe but having a friend who's sold cars for 15+ yrs and moved into other aspects of a very large dealership in the upper Midwest he basically said that GM makes their money on the pickups and is aggressively going after that market as there's more profit to be made there. I can definitely see what he's saying with the prices.

I personally don't see how one is able to afford these prices anymore for cars let alone trucks when if you finance you can pay more than a mortgage depending on what size of house you buy. Prices are ridiculous anymore.

In 05 with my 04 Tahoe 4.8 L engine base model for 32k before trade qgucd was less than msrp and now these days they're way more than that.

This is getting out of whack anymore as when you take inflation, vehicle pricing increases vs jobs pay increases in general in various industries people are becoming less and less likely to afford these anymore.

Being that I have the time I think I'll get a cheap used vehicle to drive during repair and strip my cab down completely, clean, protect and seal all the rust out then use something such as a bedliner spray with multiple coats along the bottom half of the vehicle and sand and spray the top.

I and upgrade the engine to a different one or even diesel when putting back together or at a later date and do the reprogramming myself using my J-Box with a laptop and a few days access to the OEM site. I figure with the time I can do the labor myself and save the money that I don't have for a new vehicle. Maybe if I take my time and do it right, pictures, video and all then I may be able to sell it at a higher profit and do it a few more times and eventually work myself towards something 1-3 yrs old for me to drive for awhile. It's something that could keep me busy for awhile.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was one of the ones that was upset with the new interior until I drove one.  I currently have a 14 Sierra AT and the interior has held up well for 190k miles.  The interior still looks nice and all controls work perfectly.  Biggest complaints on 14-18 interiors has always been:

headlight/ 4WD knob are awkwardly similar in location and position

new design solved this

no a/c vents in console for rear seats

new design solved this

trailer brake control location 

new design solved this

offset steering wheel 

new design solved this

The new interior is definitely an evolution type design.  I went from a 05 to a 14 last time and it was definitely night and day... this time it will not be a huge change and I’m thankful.  Every complaint I had with the K2 was covered and new tech was added.  

I love the the look of the new Tesla type screen in the Dodge but buttons and knobs are so much easier to navigate.  Heck the first time I drove my friends Platinum F150 I couldn’t believe that it didn’t have a button for the heated steering wheel. It is in the climate control screen on the touch screen.  The Chevy/GMC interior is well designed and very intuitive.  You are able to operate and change settings without even looking.  Touch screens look cool but living with a Tesla type screen can be a pain...

• Like 3

My wife drives a 2018 Tahoe RST. The interior in that truck is half a decade past the 2019 twins. Its ridiculously nice and it lets me know GM can build an amazing interior if, when and where they want to.

The only thing I can think of is that they built the interior of the new trucks for the percentage of the population that actually uses them as work trucks. I think it was a huge mistake because many of us use the truck as a vehicle first and a truck on the weekends.

I dont want a truck interior for the 5% of the time Im carrying ATVs, moving furniture or buying plywood for a project..I want an SUV interior for the 95% of the time I'm going to work or taking my kid to horse riding lessons. 

Edited by Chris walker
  • Like 1

My wife drives a 2018 Tahoe RST. The interior in that truck is half a decade past the 2019 twins. Its ridiculously nice and it lets me know GM can build an amazing interior if, when and where they want to.

The only thing I can think of is that they built the interior of the new trucks for the percentage of the population that actually uses them as work trucks. I think it was a huge mistake because many of us use the truck as a vehicle first and a truck on the weekends.

I dont want a truck interior for the 5% of the time Im carrying ATVs, moving furniture or buying plywood for a project..I want an SUV interior for the 95% of the time I'm going to work or taking my kid to horse riding lessons. 
My mother in law has a 18 Yukon Denali and that interior is not much different than the 19 Silverado. No way there is a 5 year difference. Go sit in a new navigator or Volvo and I would agree but not in the Tahoe's or yukons.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Don't get so bent up on the interior.

If you ask me the GM interoirs are  pretty nice. For a truck. You didn't buy a Cadillac.  Sure the Dodge is nice but the truck itself is a piece of junk.

They will be falling apart after a few years. All the electronic crap won't work either. Ford's are okay too. But it's a Ford. 

Sure I'm a Chevy guy but I call them like I see them.

If you really want a nice interior get a Bentley with a trailer hitch.?

• Like 1