Roadmaster Active Suspension 1990

Hello everyone,

First, I'm not experiencing any handling problems with my truck. 

As a Pro preventative maintenance guy, PLUS we pull a 29' TT RV,  I am looking at two areas of upgrades.  At 67K miles I'm replacing the rear OEM shocks with Bilstein 5100.  Also this truck runs a daily GVW of 6700 lbs. with Leer cap, cargoglide, & tools.  So I am also considering adding Roadmaster Active Suspension.

I like the ability of adjusting the Active suspension for ride control, PLUS it has a 30 Day MBG!  Any thoughts or suggestions about the Roadmaster?

If I am being honest, this sounds like an opportunity to upgrade to a 2500HD.  After upgrading the shocks and suspension, then you will likely want more power and then you will be on the slippery slope of drowning a good down payment for a new truck into upgrades for your current one.

More specific to your concern, going with air bags are the best option.

Thanks btj_z71,

Understand your comment!  I use my truck in my job daily 90% use, 1/2 platform works extremely well, economical at avg. 17+mpg.  I pull our RV 5-10% pleasure.  Of course I don't expect nor receive staggering towing results BUT for a well balanced TT with a quality Anderson Load leveling Hitch I can keep with this rig until lifestyle changes dictate the immediate need for a more capable tow platform. 

No question a 2500 would pull RV better.  I'd like my next truck to be diesel as soon as they work the bugs out from the DEF, EGR, sensors and host of other issues.  (Another topic post sometime.)

However, since I am changing OEM rear shocks due to age/mileage for Bilstein 5100, I wanted to know if others use or have installed the Roadmaster Suspension?  And if they were satisfied.

Regards

i have it, we pull a 4500 to 5000 Travel trailer, it works good in IMHO, little stiff if you set it with the black disk, that one is the stiffest, if you are not a fan of the Chevy "rake " be prepared if you set it with the black disk it will raise the rear end about 1 1/2 inches. overall it appears to be a good product i had mine about a year with no issues. i still have the crappy Rancho shocks, when i replace them I will get the 5100's had them on my 2014 and i really liked them  

Edited by RP53

• 1 year later...
On 2/17/2019 at 12:12 PM, CyaDwnthaRd said:

Thanks,

I expect a good result with an (in between) setting & new shocks.  My trailer is #6400.  I just wanted try this Roadmaster support as an alternative to air bag potential fails 1000 miles from home.

Did you end up getting the RAS system? Looking into myself. More for its function as a traction device and quasi sway bar though!

Yes, I opted for the RAS.  I was very well pleased with the upgrade of Bilsteins 5100 & RAS.  It provided a noticeable support feel.

I've since upgraded to a 2019 2500 LTZ Duramax platform.  Someone got a very supreme ride with my trade.