I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 LTZ that came with factory LED tail lights.  I recently bought a set of Morimoto XB LED tail lights that are not intended for factory LED trucks.  

I also purchased a set of tail light harness for a non-LTZ Silverado (GM Part #’s 23295977 and 23295978) so it would be a plug and play installation.

Everything works (running lights, brake lights, reverse) but I have hyper flash on the turn signals.  I have more pics and video of the issue on my instagram - @pgsulins 

Here is a list of the things I unsuccessfully tired to correct the issue:

1.  Using the non-LTZ wiring harness, I installed 50w 6 ohm resistors with no luck

2.  Using the non-LTZ wiring harness, I disconnected the Morimoto resistors that came on the tail lights and installed 50w 6 ohm resistors with no luck

3.  I hacked into the LTZ wiring harness with and without added resistors keeping the Morimoto resistors plugged in with no luck

4.  I hacked into the LTZ wiring harness with and without added resistors disconnecting the Morimoto resistors with no luck

5.  I disconnected the Morimoto tail lights and installed incandescent bulbs into the non-LTZ harness and still get hyper flash

6.  I tried wiring the Morimoto tail lights directly to the trailer hook up and still get the hyper flash 

7.  I connected the factory LED tail lights using the correct harness and then wired the Mormimoto tail lights to the trailer hook up and the hyper flash stopped

8.  I called Morimoto and they were not helpful

9.  I called two Chevy dealerships and asked if they could eliminate the error code but they were unwilling to touch it

Attempts #5 and #7 lead me to believe there are some electronics in the actual factory LED tail lights that the computer needs to read in order to avoid the hyper flash.  

I say this because there should be no hyper flash with attempt #5 because I am using a stock set up and attempt #7 eliminates the hyper flash but requires the stock LED tail lights to be hooked up.

I realize my issue is self-inflicted due to these lights not be intended for my truck but I love the look of these tail lights and was willing to give it a try.

I know Recon sells tail lights that are intended for trucks that came equipped with factory LED tails so someone has been able to get working equipment on this truck but I’m out of ideas.

Does anyone have any info that could help?  Thank you!

Paul

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

Your BCM is set to read “X” number of amps on each circuit. Your factory LEDs were say 1amp. Your BCM was looking for 1amp plus or minus a little bit. 

The new XB tail lights are made for the non LED trucks to work right so they have resistors added so they are within a non LED vehicles BCM specs. Say 5amps +/- 10%

so now your BCM is seeing 5 amps and thats out of its 1amp range, so it throws an error. 

Im in exact opposite situation.  

I wish I knew if we could swap BCMs and that would fix both our issues :-)

42 minutes ago, pgsulins said:

I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 LTZ that came with factory LED tail lights.  I recently bought a set of Morimoto XB LED tail lights that are not intended for factory LED trucks.  

I also purchased a set of tail light harness for a non-LTZ Silverado (GM Part #’s 23295977 and 23295978) so it would be a plug and play installation.

Everything works (running lights, brake lights, reverse) but I have hyper flash on the turn signals.  I have more pics and video of the issue on my instagram - @pgsulins 

Here is a list of the things I unsuccessfully tired to correct the issue:

1.  Using the non-LTZ wiring harness, I installed 50w 6 ohm resistors with no luck

2.  Using the non-LTZ wiring harness, I disconnected the Morimoto resistors that came on the tail lights and installed 50w 6 ohm resistors with no luck

3.  I hacked into the LTZ wiring harness with and without added resistors keeping the Morimoto resistors plugged in with no luck

4.  I hacked into the LTZ wiring harness with and without added resistors disconnecting the Morimoto resistors with no luck

5.  I disconnected the Morimoto tail lights and installed incandescent bulbs into the non-LTZ harness and still get hyper flash

6.  I tried wiring the Morimoto tail lights directly to the trailer hook up and still get the hyper flash 

7.  I connected the factory LED tail lights using the correct harness and then wired the Mormimoto tail lights to the trailer hook up and the hyper flash stopped

8.  I called Morimoto and they were not helpful

9.  I called two Chevy dealerships and asked if they could eliminate the error code but they were unwilling to touch it

Attempts #5 and #7 lead me to believe there are some electronics in the actual factory LED tail lights that the computer needs to read in order to avoid the hyper flash.  

I say this because there should be no hyper flash with attempt #5 because I am using a stock set up and attempt #7 eliminates the hyper flash but requires the stock LED tail lights to be hooked up.

I realize my issue is self-inflicted due to these lights not be intended for my truck but I love the look of these tail lights and was willing to give it a try.

I know Recon sells tail lights that are intended for trucks that came equipped with factory LED tails so someone has been able to get working equipment on this truck but I’m out of ideas.

Does anyone have any info that could help?  Thank you!

Paul

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

If you add 1 ohm resistors in paralllel it should work. Resistance in parallel adds such that 1 ohm resistors will keep the numerator the same but keep adding one to the denominator. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EpicLT said:

If you add 1 ohm resistors in paralllel it should work. Resistance in parallel adds such that 1 ohm resistors will keep the numerator the same but keep adding one to the denominator. 

I really appreciate the info!  Are these what I need? https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Mounted-Aluminum-Wirewound-Resistors/dp/B008IDAD76/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2DMLCLB01AYXA&keywords=1+ohm+resistor&qid=1551666831&s=gateway&sprefix=1+ohm+rei%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-5

5 minutes ago, pgsulins said:

It would be helpful to know if @rah7777777 numbers are accurate. If those are indeed the correct numbers, we can calculate the number required

I was quoted $175 for dealer to flash my BCM to eliminate the bulb out indicator feature. This would most likely solve your case as well. 

The bcm is looking for the correct amperage and if it’s not within its specs it goes into hyperflash to warn you. Disabling that warming feature should solve the problem. 

Or send me your BCM and if it works in my truck, I’ll send you line. HAHA

On 3/3/2019 at 10:03 PM, rah7777777 said:

I don’t see how adding resistance in his case would help at all. In my head, he has too much resistance to begin with. 

This if fully assuming the new tail lights have built in resistors already (in preparations for a non LED truck)

The important distinction is you are adding in parallel, and only 1 ohm. If you could find resistors that we’re even less than 1 ohm it would be better even. 

@pgsulins

The Veq is equivalent resistance of the entire system. Multiplication by 1 on the top keeps the numerator the same, while adding 1 each time to the bottom increases the denominator. Thereby decreasing overall number. If you had resistors less than 1 ohm, you would actually DECREASE the top while still increasing the bottom - lowering it much faster with fewer resistors. Hope this makes sense :) 

image.jpg

Edited by EpicLT
  • Thanks 1

The important distinction is you are adding in parallel, and only 1 ohm. If you could find resistors that we’re even less than 1 ohm it would be better even. 

[mention=198338]pgsulins[/mention]

The Veq is equivalent resistance of the entire system. Multiplication by 1 on the top keeps the numerator the same, while adding 1 each time to the bottom increases the denominator. Thereby decreasing overall number. If you had resistors less than 1 ohm, you would actually DECREASE the top while still increasing the bottom - lowering it much faster with fewer resistors. Hope this makes sense [emoji4] 
image.thumb.jpg.2c7e735397b31afad87e28112b1435ab.jpg

This reminds my of circuits class (and the smell of burnt resistors)....

Waterfowler 41’s Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/brittmork
  • Haha 1

I don't know how to do the math you pictured, but I do understand how resistance works haha.

2 resistors (loads) in parallel will have a lower resistance reading than the lowest resistors (or loads) value. 

2 ohm and 2 ohm in series is 4 ohm total circuit

2 ohm and 2 ohm in parallel is 1 ohm total circuit

So here, you are just adding another load (parallel) as close to zero ohms to help bring down the total load on the circuit and hopefully hit that special threshold in the BCM to work correctly. 

I gotta say, I wouldn't have thought of that! Smooth thinking!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rah7777777 said:

I don't know how to do the math you pictured, but I do understand how resistance works haha.

2 resistors (loads) in parallel will have a lower resistance reading than the lowest resistors (or loads) value. 

2 ohm and 2 ohm in series is 4 ohm total circuit

2 ohm and 2 ohm in parallel is 1 ohm total circuit

So here, you are just adding another load (parallel) as close to zero ohms to help bring down the total load on the circuit and hopefully hit that special threshold in the BCM to work correctly. 

I gotta say, I wouldn't have thought of that! Smooth thinking!

Thanks! ??

Thank you all for the help. I have tried 3 ohm resistors,  1 ohm resistors and .5 ohm resistors with no luck. The only change when adding these were reduced brightness in the hyperflashing blinkers.  I am out of options and am probably going to end up selling the morimotos and getting some recon tail lights painted to get the look I want.  Again, thank you all for the suggestions .