Bird crap ate through clear coat

Hi all,

2018 Silverado, black, 5000 miles.

Noticed a perpetrating pooper took a dump down the side door of my new Silverado. No big deal, if I had to guess I found it within an hour of it happening. As I would with all my other vehicles I hand wash it real good and wax it. Unfortunately it seems that the crap has ate through multiple spots of my paint.

I know the paint on these trucks suck, but this is unacceptable. I've never had a vehicle do this. My daily driver/beater car which is also black has 200k on the odometer and only gets a bucket wash once a year and I have never had bird crap eat through the clear coat. 

Any suggestions? Think the dealership would do anything or just tell me to piss off? 

IMG_0873.JPG

just need to clean the hood, clay bar it and then polish the spots out. Then once done clean it again and put a good sealer on it. I dont use much wax these days, they dont last as long as a true sealers do.

I'm confident its NOT, stress NOT bird poop. Look up page 17 of your warranty book. It appears to be more like some sort of chemical paint spoting from some odd weather and atmospheric condition.

Unless you purchased the additional warrany for the paint. Read the fine print and present it from within the warranty not from the outside trying talk your way into the warranty.....

2018 Page 17 Limited Warranty and Owners Assistance Manual

"Chemical Paint Spotting:

Some weather and atmospheric conditions can create a chemical fallout. Airborne pollutants can fall upon and adhere to painted surfaces on your vehicle. This damage can take two forms: blotchy, ring-shaped discolorations, and/or small irregular dark spots etched into the paint surface. Although no defect in the factory applied paint causes this, Chevrolet will repair, at no charge to the owner, the painted surfaces of new vehicles damaged by this fallout condition within 12 months or 12,000miles of purchase, whichever comes first."

Register with chevrolet.com owners section and it will provide you exact dates for your miles and warranty status based on your VIN.

Edited by Timd32
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Timd32 makes a good argument in favour of the dealer repairing these marks. However, don't hesitate to tell them you suspect it was caused by bird poop.  If going to the dealership is inconvenient, then follow the other suggestions.  The same happened to me with my new shiny white travel trailer.  It is costly in time and gas to take the trailer to the dealer so  I discovered that with a little "elbow grease" the shine returns.

I tried rubbing compound as well as polishing compound and unfortunately neither worked. I did not try the clay bar however.
If all else fails give that stuff in my pic a shot. Ive used it to restore hevily oxidized paint over the years. Good luck.

Same thing happened to my black truck and it was indeed bird crap.  It ate through the clear and clay bar never did anything.  Had it polished out but can still see where it was.  This was on my 2016

17 hours ago, MarkusFATA said:

I tried rubbing compound as well as polishing compound and unfortunately neither worked. I did not try the clay bar however.

machine polish may be necessary then. Any good detailer in your area should be able to get that out in 5-10 mins. Or just take it to the dealer. 

Sorry for the late update everyone, after spending a weekend out of town with my family and digging through some forums I finally had a little luck.

All in all I had 3 etched spots, one on the plastic trim below the hood and two on the drivers side door. I used Meguiars Scratch X and completely removed the etch on the plastic trim and was able to remove about 95% of the etched spots on the drivers door. Since I am a perfectionist I may try to wet sand what little remains on the drivers door, or just take it to a local reputable detailer and see what they can do with it. Under direct light the small pinhole sized spots almost look pitted so I hope it isn't all the way through the clear coat. 

On 4/10/2019 at 12:16 PM, Snowcamo said:
On 4/10/2019 at 12:14 PM, MarkusFATA said:

If all else fails give that stuff in my pic a shot. Ive used it to restore hevily oxidized paint over the years. Good luck.

I've got three coats on mine, it's all I use.  Fantastic stuff