Cooled Seats Fault 150 Miles Outside of Warranty

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2016 Silverado which as of today has 36157 miles on the clock and just yesterday developed a problem with the left side cooled seat. When the cooled seat function is turned on, the blower motor is particularly loud (far louder than the drivers seat) and makes a whirring/grinding sound.

I took into my local dealer today and they rang me back 5 hours later to say that it was a fault with the blower motor in the seat and that they would not fix it under warranty, they would however do it at a discounted price of $525 plus tax. Now I understand that technically the bumper to bumper warranty has expired however, as a first time chevy customer, I am very disappointed that the fault will not be fixed as a gesture of goodwill noting that the vehicle is only 150 miles over warranty.

Please, does anyone have any advice on how to (a) pursue this further with Chevrolet or (b) provide guidance on how I may resolve the problem myself.

Thank you so much!

54 minutes ago, Rupes1990 said:

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2016 Silverado which as of today has 36157 miles on the clock and just yesterday developed a problem with the left side cooled seat. When the cooled seat function is turned on, the blower motor is particularly loud (far louder than the drivers seat) and makes a whirring/grinding sound.

I took into my local dealer today and they rang me back 5 hours later to say that it was a fault with the blower motor in the seat and that they would not fix it under warranty, they would however do it at a discounted price of $525 plus tax. Now I understand that technically the bumper to bumper warranty has expired however, as a first time chevy customer, I am very disappointed that the fault will not be fixed as a gesture of goodwill noting that the vehicle is only 150 miles over warranty.

Please, does anyone have any advice on how to (a) pursue this further with Chevrolet or (b) provide guidance on how I may resolve the problem myself.

Thank you so much!

Relax..Be cool...no Pun intended.  Your truck could have 300+ miles on it and Be sold BRAND NEW?  You as the driver have not put 36K miles on it.  Tell GM how fare that is when a cooled seat should last FAR PAST 36K.  If you talk to the correct people they should cover it especially if you bring other issues that needed attention and your not feeling the CHEVY VIBE or customer satisfaction at all.  GOOD LUCK....I think your going to come out OK

5 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Your truck could have 300+ miles on it and Be sold BRAND NEW?  You as the driver have not put 36K miles on it. 

I was going to say, check your paperwork to see what mileage was recorded at purchase. My yellow paper lists mileage at time of signed contract. Were you the first person to drive your truck, or take a test drive? Mine had 7 miles on it when I first got in, I'm guessing that was done immediately after building, but maybe 1 test drive. Either way, be nice and maybe they'll give you some wiggle room.

1 hour ago, Rupes1990 said:

Hi All,

Thank you so much!

Welcome to the site!

Did your truck happen to be CPO? If it was your warranty is extended past the normal 36/36.

Call GM, they will repair it.

I had 43000 on mine and they repaired my ventilated seat, covered everything. 

The service manager took care of it all, I didn't even have to call GM, he has discretion up to 48 months or 48k miles to offer "goodwill" repair.

Unfortunately the truck was not CPO otherwise I would definitely claim on the extended warranty.

I went to pick up the truck from the dealership's service center last night and explained how disappointed I was that they wouldn't cover the repair. They're answer was that there was nothing they could do and when I asked to speak to the customer service manager, the guy I was refereed to simply suggested that I go and quickly purchase an extended warranty. Way to have confidence in your brand Chevy!

I have spoken to GM's customer service center who said they would elevate it to a senior advisor and that I should be contacted within 3 business days. Unsure of whether I should try my luck at another dealer in the meantime?

1 hour ago, Rupes1990 said:

Unfortunately the truck was not CPO otherwise I would definitely claim on the extended warranty.

I went to pick up the truck from the dealership's service center last night and explained how disappointed I was that they wouldn't cover the repair. They're answer was that there was nothing they could do and when I asked to speak to the customer service manager, the guy I was refereed to simply suggested that I go and quickly purchase an extended warranty. Way to have confidence in your brand Chevy!

I have spoken to GM's customer service center who said they would elevate it to a senior advisor and that I should be contacted within 3 business days. Unsure of whether I should try my luck at another dealer in the meantime?

My dealer wouldn't even  question this nonsense~!  It would have already been fixed!  Play the game...be cool...You could have been on a "Family Vacation" and driving around on your "New" truck when the Blower died.  This is where you ended up for miles?  FIX THE GOD DAMB thing before I drive it through your vestibule!!!  Yes, I have made scenes at Dealerships where your "JAW" would drop!  I don't recommend it because now everybody has cell phones and start dialing immediately.....Anyway...you will get to a resolution because this is BS!

Edited by mookdoc6

On ‎2019‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 9:08 AM, Rupes1990 said:

Welcome to this forum!  Please keep us informed on how you're making out with this issue.  I think it would be difficult for another dealer to treat your claim differently now that it is on record.  However, I am optimistic that GM customer service will probably improve on the price you were originally quoted. You may wish to take your business elsewhere in the future.  I am guessing you didn't purchase your truck from this particular dealer.  

When my '15 got totaled, over 52,000 miles, the cooled seats in it were still working.  Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, I would either find a junked or parted out compatible truck to yours, and swap seats, or get a new blower (if that's the issue) and replace it myself.