GREAT news! DFM disable coming soon

Does it stop the automatic idling shut down?  

On cold winter nights and long road trips to pull over for safety to rest a couple or few hours its hard to rest much with the engine shutting down every hour.

Won't be much fun in the hot summer either.

1st full day.  As far as I can tell, this thing is working flawlessly.  Cautiously VERY optimistic.  Auto stop/start is disabled, but light remains on on the switch in the center.  

Wondered something this morning that someone in here with much more knowledge than me on these things might be able to answer.  I know with some vehicles I've had in the past, the transmission "learns" for a period of time by your driving style/habits and makes slight adjustments to I guess try to improve efficiency?  Anyway, if I remember right you could "reset" that learning and have it start over by disconnecting the neg batt terminal for a period of time or something.  Anyone think this might still be relevant and could benefit this new driving on all 8 all the time modification we now have?

I hope that made sense.  It did in my head, but going back and reading it I'm not so sure.  If not, sorry

I signed up for the beta yesterday and received my Range unit today (I'm about 75 miles from them). I'll tell you this is a game changer! Today I drove about 50 miles combined flat and canyon driving. As @Robwcormackmentioned the auto stop/start light stays on in the switch but it never engages.

The DFM disable is the best part. The main muffler on my 2020 AT4 6.2 CarbonPro is removed (leaving the two small rear mufflers) and when the DFM would kick in the sound was horrible. Now that the DFM never kicks in the truck sounds great all of the time, and in Sport mode when decelerating the truck will actually downshift. Driving down the canyon it will hold gear better and provide more engine braking (and better sound) than I noticed before when DFM was active. I'll have to go drive the same section with the unit unplugged for comparison.

Remote start still works fine

At one point today the truck actually felt like it was slightly surging and trying to activate the DFM but never did. I'll have to see if I can replicate it again to provide my feedback to Powerteq.

• Like 1

I just wanted to give you an update on the Beta test. I have about 500 miles on the truck now with the Range for DFM. So far I have not noticed any issues to speak of. I did get a little scare yesterday with a check engine light but that was due to me forgetting to plug in my MAF sensor wire after changing my air filter. I had to take out the Range to use my scanner and reset the CEL. But I was glad that it was my failure to plug in a wire and not the Range product. 

Last Sunday I took it on a 300 mile drive which I have done many times. Before the Range I was averaging 20.7 mpg with a best ever over 25 miles of 29.6 mpg keeping in mind that was on 89 octane gas and a colder ambient temp. After the range I averaged 20.8 mpg with a best average of 27.2 mpg. Now the best average was lowered due to 87 octane gas and a warmer ambient temp, but the average for the entire tank was actually up by 0.1 mpg. I will be making this trip again in a few weeks and will use 89 octane gas to even things out on another run.

Now while I have not had any issues with the range I have noticed that the truck does seem to want to go into DFM at times. I do not hear my exhaust change sound like its dropping into DFM but I do notice a little vibration like the engine wants too. I am not sure if that is DFM wanting to kick in and the Range saying NO, or if it is just vibration from engine breaking when letting off the gas? Like I said though the exhaust sound tells me that I am in V8 as I do not hear the tell tale sound of DFM.

A1D499D3-3D51-479A-9D7F-80F8BFBBC4DF.jpeg

Mine will be here Friday but I will be out of the country until Tuesday night and not able to test till next week.  I don't care about gas mileage...  I didn't buy a big V8 truck to worry about 1mpg.  It's irrelevant to me, the cost is equally irrelevant...

What I will be focusing on is deactivation of DFM, and drivability, and disabling the stupid auto-start-stop crap...  If it does that, I will be happy.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jhall124jr said:

Any one testing these had any like idle surge when your going a steady speed? I have put a few miles since I have received mine. I keep getting a idle surge when going a steady speed, weather its 35 or 75. Other than that it works great.

I asked about the feeling im getting from the vibration to Range and this is what I got back. I have noticed that with all 8 cylinders the transmission is shifting more. It does not bother me but just something I have noticed. I told them that I feel the trucks transmission vibrate and shift more and they said "The vibration you are feeling but not hearing may be your Torque converter locking. These new transmissions have an aggressive PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) torque converter that is designed so you don’t fell the firm LOCK like you used to when the Torque converter locks. It gradually locks it but when it does the truck will have a slight shudder. If it happens around 45+ MPH or so. See if that makes sense or not and let me know." 

Seems reasonable to me that the trans would shift or maybe surge more since we are now in V8 all the time and it was programmed to use DFM. IM hoping it will relearn with the Range in. If it does not I won't mind that much since I am enjoying the benefits from the Range more than a little feeling from the trans. IM not sure if this is related or not. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jhall124jr said:

Any one testing these had any like idle surge when your going a steady speed? I have put a few miles since I have received mine. I keep getting a idle surge when going a steady speed, weather its 35 or 75. Other than that it works great.

I'm experiencing this as well. Feels like the truck is trying to go into DFM mode but just doesn't quite get there.