GREAT news! DFM disable coming soon

3 hours ago, JohnTz said:

Sorry for the ignorant question but why disable the DFM in the first place? It works perfectly from what I can tell and I can’t feel it or hear it at all? 

Based on my experience with the AFM disabler, you get better throttle response, better gas mileage, and some of the AFM engines had lifter problems associated with the AFM that the disabler solved. So far I don't think there's been many reports of lifter failure on a DFM engine, but people are probably still worried about it.

22 hours ago, johnnypayne66 said:

Oops I didn’t notice the transmission speed. I just ordered one and my transmission is the 10 speed.  Guess I will have to cancel order.  

I contacted them about compatibility with the 10 Speed and this was the response I got:

Frank,

We do not officially support the 10 speed vehicles yet. The update that we have will generally work for the 10 speed vehicles, but there are some minor kinks that still need to be worked out with them. Thanks.

Range Technology Support

1080 S. Depot Drive
Ogden, UT 84404
Toll-Free: 888-997-6515
Email: [email protected]
www.rangetechnology.com

Sent: Tuesday, May 5, 2020 10:16:17 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: DFM disabler for 10 speed?

Hello, I want to order the new DFM disable for my 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Crew Cab with the 5.3 engine and 10 speed transmission, but I noticed on the compatibility chart it only lists the 8L90 8 speed transmission. Will this product still work with my 10 speed or do I need to wait for the next version?

Thanks,
Frank 

5 minutes ago, No Coast Rider said:

I contacted them about compatibility with the 10 Speed and this was the response I got:

Frank,

We do not officially support the 10 speed vehicles yet. The update that we have will generally work for the 10 speed vehicles, but there are some minor kinks that still need to be worked out with them. Thanks.

Range Technology Support

1080 S. Depot Drive
Ogden, UT 84404
Toll-Free: 888-997-6515
Email: [email protected]
www.rangetechnology.com

Sent: Tuesday, May 5, 2020 10:16:17 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: DFM disabler for 10 speed?

Hello, I want to order the new DFM disable for my 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Crew Cab with the 5.3 engine and 10 speed transmission, but I noticed on the compatibility chart it only lists the 8L90 8 speed transmission. Will this product still work with my 10 speed or do I need to wait for the next version?

Thanks,
Frank 

I was told by email it would work for the 10 speed so I ordered. Last night the FB page said it won’t work I messaged them and they asked I call. Called this morning and they said I could get refund (send back as it already shipped) or I could keep and tryout. If it doesn’t work then send it back. I plan to try it on my 6.2/10speed it does t work will send back and they will update if needed

Ryan B.

3 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

I was told by email it would work for the 10 speed so I ordered. Last night the FB page said it won’t work I messaged them and they asked I call. Called this morning and they said I could get refund (send back as it already shipped) or I could keep and tryout. If it doesn’t work then send it back. I plan to try it on my 6.2/10speed it does t work will send back and they will update if needed

Ryan B.

Let us know if it works for you.  I have the 6.2 with 10 speed .

15 hours ago, No Coast Rider said:

Based on my experience with the AFM disabler, you get better throttle response, better gas mileage, and some of the AFM engines had lifter problems associated with the AFM that the disabler solved. So far I don't think there's been many reports of lifter failure on a DFM engine, but people are probably still worried about it.

I had a lifter go out at 3500 miles on my ‘19 LT Trail Boss 5.3 8-speed...  They had to replace the engine, which took almost a month and a million phone calls.  First thing the dealer told me was to find a disabler.  I had not known how widely spread the lifter problem was. Whether AFM or DFM, trust me it’s not worth the hassle if this device can help alleviate the issue.  At least until Chevy admits it’s a problem that warrants higher quality lifters and associated parts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TSchevy said:

I had a lifter go out at 3500 miles on my ‘19 LT Trail Boss 5.3 8-speed...  They had to replace the engine, which took almost a month and a million phone calls.  First thing the dealer told me was to find a disabler.  I had not known how widely spread the lifter problem was. Whether AFM or DFM, trust me it’s not worth the hassle if this device can help alleviate the issue.  At least until Chevy admits it’s a problem that warrants higher quality lifters and associated parts. 

Does your truck have AFM or DFM? I know some 2019s still have AFM

2 minutes ago, No Coast Rider said:

If it's an LT it should be DFM, I believe AFM is only still on the lowest trim levels.

Good to know. This was my fear from the beginning that the DFM engines would see lifter failures like the AFM engines. For me if the Range helps cut down on lifter failures its cheap insurance. 

Got my DFM disabler today. Have only used it for about 15 miles.  Initial impressions:

1. Throttle response is better all around. Never noticed the DFM before, but when you are cruising at a steady speed and go to accelerate, it’s much more responsive and smoother.

2. Transmission is noticeably smoother shifting. 

3. ASS appears to be disabled automatically, even though it is not listed as a feature with the DFM model.

2020 Sierra Premium Plus 5.3. 8L90  2wd

Edited by chadman
  • Like 1

So what issues have people had with the 19 speed. Got mine yesterday drove 15 miles or so. Seems ok? Auto start stop is disabled. No issues that I noticed but not due if DFM is turned off.

Ryan B.