GREAT news! DFM disable coming soon

Found another weird thing today. Going on about 2 months of testing the disabler and this is the 1st time I've noticed that the onstar diagnostics no longer work.

Not that it's a big deal because I can see there are no lights on the dash but I assume this means gm can see something is plugged in. 

Screenshot_20200509-230105_Gmail.jpg

7 minutes ago, Zach-91 said:

Found another weird thing today. Going on about 2 months of testing the disabler and this is the 1st time I've noticed that the onstar diagnostics no longer work.

Not that it's a big deal because I can see there are no lights on the dash but I assume this means gm can see something is plugged in. 

Screenshot_20200509-230105_Gmail.jpg

That is strange. I have had mine plugged in for about 3 months straight and my on star diagnostics come through just fine. 

Edited by Bob Ross

41 minutes ago, Bob Ross said:

That is strange. I have had mine plugged in for about 3 months straight and my on star diagnostics come through just fine. 

Yea. I am pretty sure it worked last month. Today I did get the pop up asking me to agree to the terms again which seems to happen every few weeks so maybe there was some sort of onstar update that made it happen? I'm completely guessing but just wanted to share.

I was told this week that I no longer needed to send updates on the beta testing since it has been released. I also asked if there were any updates to the releases version compared to the beta and was told they are the same. So I'm curious if others will experience similar things as they become more popular 

Question
Why do I get a notice that OnStar Diagnostics Report didn't run?
Answer
The quick answer is - the OnStar report occurs once a month and it does not like ANYTHING (Progressive SnapShot, Range Module, DashHawk, DashBoss, etc.) plugged into the OBD2 port when it runs.
HOWEVER, the latest firmware (8.6+) has a more "stealthy" mode and is invisible, so it DOES NOT affect the OnStar report for most vehicles most of the time. HOWEVER, there may be a case where the Onstar hits the vehicle when running or driving, and at those times it MAY give an error.
The longer answer - OnStar runs diagnostics on the CAN bus at the same "address" as a diagnostic tool plugged into the OBD2 port (makes sense, right?) If something else is plugged into the port, it's like the address slot is already filled, so it can't run its diagnostics. (Same thing happens with the dealer Tech II and any other device).
This doesn't hurt anything, but it will complain that it can't run diagnostics ... it usually occurs the same time every month and if you want, you can just update your module to the latest firmware and it should be transparent from then on.

"Looks like the stealthy approach is not to stealthy"

2 hours ago, Lee Roy said:
Question
Why do I get a notice that OnStar Diagnostics Report didn't run?
Answer
The quick answer is - the OnStar report occurs once a month and it does not like ANYTHING (Progressive SnapShot, Range Module, DashHawk, DashBoss, etc.) plugged into the OBD2 port when it runs.
HOWEVER, the latest firmware (8.6+) has a more "stealthy" mode and is invisible, so it DOES NOT affect the OnStar report for most vehicles most of the time. HOWEVER, there may be a case where the Onstar hits the vehicle when running or driving, and at those times it MAY give an error.
The longer answer - OnStar runs diagnostics on the CAN bus at the same "address" as a diagnostic tool plugged into the OBD2 port (makes sense, right?) If something else is plugged into the port, it's like the address slot is already filled, so it can't run its diagnostics. (Same thing happens with the dealer Tech II and any other device).
This doesn't hurt anything, but it will complain that it can't run diagnostics ... it usually occurs the same time every month and if you want, you can just update your module to the latest firmware and it should be transparent from then on.

"Looks like the stealthy approach is not to stealthy"

Is the update for the onstar system or the range?

18 minutes ago, Lee Roy said:

From the way it reads I believe it is the range.

That came from the Range website

Gotcha. I mean it makes sense but its odd that it just started happening. Granted its probably only been plugged in for 2-3 reports so its a very small number of chances. Guess we'll see how it does going forward 

On 5/9/2020 at 10:48 AM, RyanbabZ71 said:

So what issues have people had with the 19 speed. Got mine yesterday drove 15 miles or so. Seems ok? Auto start stop is disabled. No issues that I noticed but not due if DFM is turned off.

Ryan B.

I also have a 6.2/10spd combo, and have been putting off buying the range until confirmed working. Did you notice DFM beforehand? When my truck was brand new I couldn't, have about 10k now. Within prob the last 2k I can watch my RPMs bounce up and down on hills as DFM does its thing. Getting annoyed. 

7 minutes ago, Car Dude said:

Not that fuel mileage is a deal breaker but I am curious on how much mileage is effected with dfm turned off

I noticed about 1 mpg or so loss on the highway. Much more around town but thats due to my right foot and wanting to hear my exhaust.