GREAT news! DFM disable coming soon

On 5/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, TSchevy said:

Installed this morning before the drive to work.  Didn’t expect to notice the difference as much as I did.  Felt like the best part of the truck the entire ride. No stutters, no lag, instant throttle response. AND.....no ASS at every stop... Today happened to be the OnStar report day too. It came through without issue.  So far I would say this is the best investment I’ve made for this truck.  Ready to put some miles on it over the holiday. 
2019 Trail Boss LT 5.3 8sp

Quick update.....Put 450 miles on last night.  Averaged 19.2 mpg.  I’m still blown away by the new found throttle response. Leap frogging slow traffic on 2 lane highways has never been so fun. Truck ran great through the entire trip. 

I have 700 miles on my Range with my 2019 6.2 10 speed and have experienced none of the issues others are sharing so far. It’s been working like I expected it to. I have to admit I’m happy and it does what it claims. My mileage did drop about 1.5 mpg to 17 in sport mode( I don’t care , it’s worth the trade off) and the throttle response seems shorter or quicker than before. I still think I will get a throttle adjuster as the initial lag Is more than my older Tahoe and my wife’s Jeep.  Other than that, I Love my truck so far with 11k miles.

Like "No Coast Rider" said I am lucky to get 17 and that is taking it easy. I do live in east TN. Guess since there have been so many positive comments on this new range device I'll bite and give one a try.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you with a few miles under your belt with the 8-speed, does it help shifting and finding the right gear? I saw reports of improved throttle response which is great. My transmission was relatively flawless when I first got the truck and now the shifts are inconsistent and sloppy, throttle response isn’t great etc.

Second question is, do you have to take this unit out if you let your truck sit a while like you did the old one so it doesn’t drain the battery? Or can you leave it in? Covid and work from home now has me only driving it a few times a week.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

For those of you with a few miles under your belt with the 8-speed, does it help shifting and finding the right gear? I saw reports of improved throttle response which is great. My transmission was relatively flawless when I first got the truck and now the shifts are inconsistent and sloppy, throttle response isn’t great etc.

Second question is, do you have to take this unit out if you let your truck sit a while like you did the old one so it doesn’t drain the battery? Or can you leave it in? Covid and work from home now has me only driving it a few times a week.

Thanks!

I find shifting to me rougher all around. 

as far as plugging it in. I never take it out. The obdii port cuts power. I have left it in for weeks with no issue. 

• Like 1

I am not entirely sure it helps throttle response... maybe a tiny bit...

I think the biggest benefit is possibly negating lifter issues, but to be honest, we don't actually know if DFM has the same issues that AFM had.  We are assuming it does, and afraid that it might, but there isn't actually any evidence of it to my knowledge.

So I am torn on whether to keep the range box in or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SquireSCA said:

I am not entirely sure it helps throttle response... maybe a tiny bit...

I think the biggest benefit is possibly negating lifter issues, but to be honest, we don't actually know if DFM has the same issues that AFM had.  We are assuming it does, and afraid that it might, but there isn't actually any evidence of it to my knowledge.

So I am torn on whether to keep the range box in or not.

My DFM engine has already needed replacement within the first 4000 miles due to lifter failure.  It’s definitely still a problem. As to how wide spread it is...the jury’s out.   

GM took care of the problem, but it’s a hassle worth avoiding. Especially if a $189 plug is all it might take!

• Like 1

I’ve had mine for about a month and haven’t noticed any issues with shifting at all. It is definitely more responsive when accelerating but it’s not a huge difference. Noticeable, but not huge. I took my first trip with it this week, about 650 miles round trip. On the way there i got almost 21.8 mpg even with the cruise on 80 mph about half the time, and about an hour in very heavy rain. Pretty pleased with that. I was averaging 23 mpg until i got to the place where i could hit 80 and then dropped. On the way back, about the same with 80 mph half way and 70-75 the other half. Main difference was driving into a stiff head wind nearly all the way home so only 19.8 on the way home. Still not bad. The winds were strong enough it was pushing the truck around.
Mine is the DFM disabler from Range and I’m definitely keeping it until they come out with a tuner. Worth it in my opinion.

• Like 1

I don't think you can go wrong.  Win/win. Better fuel economy, smoother operation, and slightly more responsive.  The big win is no DFM.  I do not expect DFM to cause problems as quickly as AFM, but it will. 

2 hours ago, hotrodz37 said:

Thanks for the replies guys, I’ll probably go ahead and get one and see how it does.

Don't get one if you have the 10 speed trans. Range is still working on it. The current Range will kill the auto start/stop and shut of DFM most of the time, but it still gets activated.

Jay

Edited by Jay P
  • Like 1