Air conditioner

Leaking hose 45,000 miles outside warranty. ANyone else have a/cissues? My hose from condensor to the hose. The hose had a leak. It took two visits to the dealership. 1st was diagnostic 300.00 for them to tell me no leak, put dye and freon in system. less than 12 hours later ...no air freon leaked out AND they charged me another 50.00 to fill it (two days in a row)/ Total charges 885.00. I am not happy this should not happen at 45,000 miles

Edited by Scurranrn
more info

• 3 weeks later...

I assume you're talking about the condenser? Replace it yourself or have an independent shop do it. Any shop that does ac work has done more than a few Tahoe/Suburban/Silverado/Sierra/etc. GM will offer to pay half of a 1200 repair, that's the extent of their out of warranty assistance. 

1 hour ago, Scurranrn said:

Thank you for this assistance. But is was not the condenser but the leaking hose to the condenser. The total repair was 900.00 or so. Do I go straight to GMC to complain and perhaps then get 1/2 back? Thanks again. 

If you have a '14 or '15 model look at your condenser. Upper driver side. look thru grille.

If you see shiny darker spots at any of the weld points where the 3 capillaries dump into the round tube vertical dryer then you might as well replace it.

Condensers were junk on '14 and '15 models.

• Like 1

My 14 is at the dealer now getting a new evap core, weird thing is the service writer stated my truck has two of them and the one in the back went. Not sure he is mistaken or not but in any case that gmpp i bought just paid for itself with nearly one repair as i'm sure the evap core to replace is a good grand if not more. Still have 3 years to go, gm is not going to make any money off me regarding this gmpp purchase that is for sure. Sad part is the truck only has 31k on it, to anyone looking to buy new GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY IF YOU ARE NOT LEASING!

Thanks for the breakout Dan, looks like the service writer was mistaken and turns out i had the same exact issue as the OP and a leaking hose that went to the evap core, fixed it recharged the system and seems to be all well again, also replaced some bracket which i think might be the update for the condenser?? They also changed out the brake vacuum pump and belt under that new recall.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:58 AM, BIGDOGx said:

Thanks for the breakout Dan, looks like the service writer was mistaken and turns out i had the same exact issue as the OP and a leaking hose that went to the evap core, fixed it recharged the system and seems to be all well again, also replaced some bracket which i think might be the update for the condenser?? They also changed out the brake vacuum pump and belt under that new recall.

Has this problem been sorted out in later models?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CSI-WALLEYE said:

Has this problem been sorted out in later models?

I think there is always the chance for failure these days, especially with the lowest bidder usually winning the contract to supply parts. Quality seems to have taken a back seat to most car manufactures these days, sure the interiors look nicer and have more tech gadgets but the steel is almost as thin as a piece of paper, the paint is even thinner, the parts come as cheap as possible and they simply do not make things last anymore. I remember you use to be able to take a part off and sometimes clean and reuse it again or rebuild it, lol today it's just replace broke part with a part that will do the same in 20k miles.

If you have a '14 or '15 model look at your condenser. Upper driver side. look thru grille.
If you see shiny darker spots at any of the weld points where the 3 capillaries dump into the round tube vertical dryer then you might as well replace it.
Condensers were junk on '14 and '15 models.
My '14 kept breaking them, most times out of warranty.

My '17 has been far more solid for AC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk