Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd

The weird thing with mine is that it stopped doing it all together now. 

When the GM case manager calls me next week, I want to ask if he could double check which repair exactly I am getting. I want to see if he knows anything about the new fix.

The last thing I want is my truck get taken apart and a "fix" applied, only to have return again for another fix.

Question, if this doesn't get fixed at all, is there any damage done in the long wrong? Mine is so minor I'm even thinking letting it be instead of having these morons taken apart my truck.

57 minutes ago, Z06JPB said:

Okay here’s the deal. You can go back and read my posts on this thread for the last couple pages to read some history.

My SU4 has axle play, yes. I can move the axle in and out just like Limelight’s video on page 1, yes. 

However... I have determined that I do not have any noise coming from anywhere that I can hear while driving. By doing the physical inspection, I feared the worst and thought maybe I had not been listening closely enough.

Today I drove more than 70 miles and on the smoothest quietest newly paved asphalt roads with the radio and climate control off, I heard nothing. I ranged sustained speeds from 35 to 80 mph and heard nothing. I even switched on the Auto 4WD and 4HI to see if something changed or made a different noise but I couldn’t hear anything new. I even drove on some bumpy roads and potholes and listened for some axle clunk but still nothing.

The other thought I have is in regards to ambient temperature. GM describes the problem can get worse at higher temperatures. While I have drove a lot this summer during the hottest 90 degF days, today’s test was done in only 70 degF, cloudy weather. The road temperature had no sun load so it was relatively cool. I’m going to try and do another sustained driving period during a hotter, sunny day.

So, my SU4, while it exhibits the tell-tales that it should have a problem, is quiet as can be on the road. My truck now has a little over 3,100 miles on it so the jingle or clicking could still develop. My next experiment will be to go to the dealer and test trucks on the lot to see if the play is the same with other AAM axles. I really want to find an SU5 and test that as that may paint a better picture of what exactly is going on.

LTZGTR, your truck is such a late 2019 model that it is almost a 2020. I wouldn’t worry too much about the axle issue as your truck may already have an improved SU4 axle. Any chance you could get the part number off it? If it’s different from my AAHD and the AAJF axle part numbers, good chance it’s a fixed unit. 

The only way to ensure you get a truck with an SU5 is to take the VIN number to a GM dealer and have them print off the Vehicle Build Information Sheet off GlobalConnect. That will display all the RPO codes.

Thanks for the reply, great to know and good points. I will see if I can identify the part numbers when I see it again next week. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

When the GM case manager calls me next week, I want to ask if he could double check which repair exactly I am getting. I want to see if he knows anything about the new fix.

Based on my experience with GM case managers, they won't know squat about specific repairs, vehicles, TSB's, etc.

They are nothing more than a  liaison between you and GM.

• Thanks 1

UPDATE... My truck is going in Friday for the new axle squeak fix. They also offered a 72/100,000 mile warranty free of charge on the whole truck. The BBB has suspended the arbitration for now until the truck is repaired. If the fix does not work the arbitration case will re open.

Edited by txab
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ILSilverado said:

UPDATE... My truck is going in Friday for the new axle squeak fix. They also offered a 72/100,000 mile warranty free of charge on the whole truck. The BBB has suspended the arbitration for now until the truck is repaired. If the fix does not work the arbitration case will re open.

How did you get the warranty? Was it because of a BBB complaint?

45 minutes ago, ILSilverado said:

Please keep us updated on the fix. I brought my truck in today and they said they will replace the axle. I asked if this is the actual fix and they said they did know. I told them to hold off on the fix until I heard more about other people actually being satisfied with the new axle. They had no idea about this bulletin and said they had no other complaints like mine. 2019 Silverado RST Z71. Build date 4/27/19 Fort Wayne SU4 axle.

Got a call from the dealership today saying they have an engineer coming to take a look at my truck soon. They asked me to come by before hand if I’m in the neighborhood to hear all the issues I have complained about and to hear the jingle that returned. Low and behold, on my way home from work I went straight to the dealership(it’s my halfway point) and I had the shop manager jump in with me. The planets must have been aligned because every issue I have I was able to replicate. My brake issues, steering noise, etc. Shop manager said he has his work cut out. It’s soo sad all I could do was laugh. I reached out to gm and I’m waiting to hear back. As much as I’m annoyed and want another truck I would actually take the 72/100000 warranty. After discussing the jingle fix with the shop manager, he couldn’t believe that’s what gm came up as a fix. He figured I would be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got GM to send me the build sheet for my truck and sure enough SU4 for the front axle so mine definitely has the issue and the build date was 06/03/2019. 

How did did you get GM’s attention for the free extended warranty?  Did you have to go through the BBB?

6 minutes ago, atst2000 said:

Got GM to send me the build sheet for my truck and sure enough SU4 for the front axle so mine definitely has the issue and the build date was 06/03/2019. 

How did did you get GM’s attention for the free extended warranty?  Did you have to go through the BBB?

You may not have to.

I once got Toyota to do the same for me after I had multiple dealership visits on my 4runner. I just told my case manager that after that many visits I deserved some reassurance from them.

I may do the same with GM

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss

5 minutes ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

Weird thing is that mine stopped clicking all together. So now I don't know if I should have them mess with it or wait a few months until a solid fix is out.

This issue isn't doing any damage that you guys know of?

Mine stops for days sometimes.  Then it’s back. Yay. 

8 minutes ago, Limelight said:

Mine stops for days sometimes.  Then it’s back. Yay. 

I just wonder if it's doing any damage? Mine honestly doesn't bother me that much.

I don't mind waiting a few months for a solid fix. They're supposed to call me when the axle comes in, but who knows if that's the new axle or same old crap.

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss

7 hours ago, ILSilverado said:

If you’re able, please be sure to see what part(s) numbers are involved in the new fix and share with us. 

Thanks

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, atst2000 said:

Yes do a BBB claim