Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd

1 hour ago, Thejet07 said:

The stub shaft is what’s the problem. My shop manager went through this same process, got the part, same issues. He said he thought maybe the splines might be different or something like plastic embedded at the end. Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had heard that the replacement stub shaft is about 1/8" shorter... Can't verify that, but my understanding is that the original is slightly too long causing it to rub under certain conditions.

Ok so have a small update for you guys.  Finally got a hold of the SA who called me Friday morning about the "parts" being in.  He jumped the gun when he called me not realizing they ALSO ordered

the replacement Stub-Shaft.  Now the next question is "Is it the new stub-shaft, and what is the part number?"  He replied "I'm not sure because our ordering system with GM won't tell us with special order parts."

So yeah, definitely was hoping they could at least tell me so I could report back, but he said they are still waiting for the Stub-Shaft and no idea when it's coming but could take up to a month.  So hopefully this is an "updated" part and not the one Jet got or anyone else.

11 minutes ago, atst2000 said:

Ok so have a small update for you guys.  Finally got a hold of the SA who called me Friday morning about the "parts" being in.  He jumped the gun when he called me not realizing they ALSO ordered

the replacement Stub-Shaft.  Now the next question is "Is it the new stub-shaft, and what is the part number?"  He replied "I'm not sure because our ordering system with GM won't tell us with special order parts."

So yeah, definitely was hoping they could at least tell me so I could report back, but he said they are still waiting for the Stub-Shaft and no idea when it's coming but could take up to a month.  So hopefully this is an "updated" part and not the one Jet got or anyone else.

I am also working with my foreman on trying to get more details.

I told him I do not want to get anything replaced until I know FOR SURE it's the right part.

I am also waiting on a call back from GM case manager and I will be asking them to step in and check.

On 9/4/2019 at 6:25 PM, Z06JPB said:

Okay. Everyone get ready to have your mind blown...Did a little dealer checking this evening and discovered some interesting things about the GM and AAM front axles.

On the dealer lot I checked a LT Z71 Trail boss which had a an AAM front axle (SU4) with the AAJF tag and part number 84605752. This axle displayed the same movement and play as the video by Limelight on page 1. Mind you, I did not drive the truck so no way to say if it makes noise while driving.

I MESSED UP! I did not find a GM axle on that Custom Trail boss. What I found was an AAM, AAL8 marked axle.

The AAL8 axle IS a GM axle! I found this axle on a Custom Z71 Trail boss 5.3L 6-speed.

The tag for the AAL8 axle is not in the same place as the AAJF and AAHD. It is on top of the axle. The "GM" symbol is cast on the driver's side just ahead of the drive shaft. The AAL8 is shaped very different from the AAM AAHD and AAJF axles. The passenger side axle extension is round shaped where as with the AAM it is square shaped.

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/New-Gm-Oem-Gmc-Sierra-1500-Denali-19-20-Silverado-Front-Axle-Differential-Locker/755810401

Also note, the part number for the AAL8 axle is 84659680. This part number is too new to come up in a search. The AAL8 axle still had the same play and movement as all the AAM axles I have tested including my own like Limelight's video shows on page 1. Seems like maybe that movement is unrelated to the noisy jingle or clicking that some are experiencing as the SU5 GM axle is unaffected.

In my truck, I have the AAM axle that is denoted as AAHD on the tag and my axle is super-quiet. Of the forum members having problems with the noise in their AAM axles, how many are AAHD and how many are AAJF?

Pictures are attached. First pic is the tag from my LT Z71 5.3L 8-speed with the AAM AAHD axle. Second picture is from the LT Z71 Trail Boss 5.3L 8-speed with the AAM AAJF axle. Third picture is axle tag from the Custom Z71 Trail boss 5.3L 6-speed with the GM AAL8 axle. The fourth picture shows the underbody of the AAL8 axle and how it is different from the AAM axles.

IMG_2485 (1).jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

I appreciate your response here- very informative.  I actually ended up passing on the Silverado as I was just too worried about this issue , and still have a bit of a sour taste left from my lemon 2017 ltz. Ended up trying a Chrysler product and picked up a Jeep trackhawk. I wish all the best to the T1 owners , beautiful trucks for sure. 

065C9B8F-E4EE-493B-85DD-2CB62B1376CD.jpeg

• Like 2

The new fix did not work on my truck, new shaft seals etc. still had the jingle. The engineer came by the dealership and told them to put a new differential in it.  This is my second new one.  The first differential they put in it had the jingle in it by the time I got the truck home about 20 miles. The new one has a little over 200 miles on it and so far no jingle!      This may be the fix for me, only time will tell.

Get this...

I call the dealership and ask about this bulletin and they tell me they have a fix and the parts have to be ordered.  The parts come in and my appointment (August 30th) is all set.  I bring the truck in and was told the axle was not part of the order and had to be special ordered.  OK stuff happens.  The axle finally comes in 3-4 days later.  They change out all the parts and button everything up.  Tech takes the truck for the road test, hears knocking noise coming from the front end.  The replacement axle that we were waiting for is bad and has play in it.  it is now 9/12/2019 and 2nd axle is still not at the dealer.  WTF last GM I buy.  

59 minutes ago, dho238 said:

Get this...

I call the dealership and ask about this bulletin and they tell me they have a fix and the parts have to be ordered.  The parts come in and my appointment (August 30th) is all set.  I bring the truck in and was told the axle was not part of the order and had to be special ordered.  OK stuff happens.  The axle finally comes in 3-4 days later.  They change out all the parts and button everything up.  Tech takes the truck for the road test, hears knocking noise coming from the front end.  The replacement axle that we were waiting for is bad and has play in it.  it is now 9/12/2019 and 2nd axle is still not at the dealer.  WTF last GM I buy.  

That’s disappointing.

When they did the new fix, did they also replace the stub shaft? This is the part that seems to be the culprit of the noise issue.

If they only replaced the seals and slinger that certainly would not fix anything.

As new, replacement front axle assemblies potentially have out of spec stub shafts installed, it is hit or miss as to if replacing the axle actually accomplishes anything.

9 minutes ago, Z06JPB said:

That’s disappointing.

When they did the new fix, did they also replace the stub shaft? This is the part that seems to be the culprit of the noise issue.

If they only replaced the seals and slinger that certainly would not fix anything.

As new, replacement front axle assemblies potentially have out of spec stub shafts installed, it is hit or miss as to if replacing the axle actually accomplishes anything.

I have no idea what is going to be replaced.  The truck is still at the dealership waiting for parts.  I'll have to wait and see.  Did you also have this same issue? 

1 hour ago, dho238 said:

Get this...

I know it's frustrating, and I'm going through it with my front diff jingle too, but problems happen to all manufacturers. We had a Ford Crown Vic Police car. It had a problem with losing power...(and a Ford can't afford to lose any power lol)...we had it to the dealer about 4 times, and finally after about $5k in repairs they finally fixed it.

So it can and does happen to all manufacturers.

• Like 1

So I have the clicking sound on mine that's related to this. I get the jingle sound but VERY rarely.

Dealership ordered the parts for me to have mine fixed, but it seems like from what you guys are saying, this ain't going to fix it.

I really don't want my truck taken apart, just to have to go back and do it again.

I think I will wait it out until an ACTUAL TSB is out.

As far as I know, this is an annoyance thing for than anything right? No damage is being done by leaving as is?

1 hour ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

So I have the clicking sound on mine that's related to this. I get the jingle sound but VERY rarely.

Dealership ordered the parts for me to have mine fixed, but it seems like from what you guys are saying, this ain't going to fix it.

I really don't want my truck taken apart, just to have to go back and do it again.

I think I will wait it out until an ACTUAL TSB is out.

As far as I know, this is an annoyance thing for than anything right? No damage is being done by leaving as is?

The more complaints they receive, the quicker they'll come up with a "Final Fix".

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RAYS B4U said:

The more complaints they receive, the quicker they'll come up with a "Final Fix".

I called GM Tuesday to inquire if they were making any progress on a actual fix for this axle issue. I was assigned a reference number and told a advisor would be calling me from GM on Thursday. I have not heard anything at this time and will call  again on Monday if I do not hear from them. I will keep you posted.

• Like 1

Taking my truck in on Monday hopefully to be repaired. When I asked questions Service Mgr didn't have much info. Sunday will be making a list of other issues that need attention - like SD nav card not found error,  trailer system issues, electrical connector for trailer wiring hookup very loose, won't charge phone when plugged in, brake wear indicator shows less than 30% remaining life on front brakes(~8,800 miles).  I've owned quite a few Tahoes and Silverados and this truck has more issues than all of those combined. 

• Like 1