Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd

I just spoke with the shop foreman on the phone.

I basically told him I didn't want to come in and get the fix until he knew for sure I am getting the latest fix and parts.

He said the bulletin he pulled up was just revised on the 5th of August, and the bulletin has apparently been revised 3 times now. 

He stated he would reach out to GM and get more information about the part he ordered and to determine if it is indeed the latest part.

He didn't have an ETA on when the part would arrive however. 

Will keep you guys posted.

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

I just spoke with the shop foreman on the phone.

I basically told him I didn't want to come in and get the fix until he knew for sure I am getting the latest fix and parts.

He said the bulletin he pulled up was just revised on the 5th of August, and the bulletin has apparently been revised 3 times now. 

He stated he would reach out to GM and get more information about the part he ordered and to determine if it is indeed the latest part.

He didn't have an ETA on when the part would arrive however. 

Will keep you guys posted.

I love how these dealers are ordering the parts but don’t know what they are getting. 

Every time I want my dealer to order something they first always ask me if I have the part number, you know, because they can’t order anything without a part number. 

How are are they ordering these fix kits without part numbers then? ?

Edited by Z06JPB

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:41 PM, LTZGTR said:

Thanks for the reply, great to know and good points. I will see if I can identify the part numbers when I see it again next week. 

Okay. Everyone get ready to have your mind blown...Did a little dealer checking this evening and discovered some interesting things about the GM and AAM front axles.

On the dealer lot I checked a LT Z71 Trail boss which had a an AAM front axle (SU4) with the AAJF tag and part number 84605752. This axle displayed the same movement and play as the video by Limelight on page 1. Mind you, I did not drive the truck so no way to say if it makes noise while driving.

I MESSED UP! I did not find a GM axle on that Custom Trail boss. What I found was an AAM, AAL8 marked axle.

The AAL8 axle IS a GM axle! I found this axle on a Custom Z71 Trail boss 5.3L 6-speed.

The tag for the AAL8 axle is not in the same place as the AAJF and AAHD. It is on top of the axle. The "GM" symbol is cast on the driver's side just ahead of the drive shaft. The AAL8 is shaped very different from the AAM AAHD and AAJF axles. The passenger side axle extension is round shaped where as with the AAM it is square shaped.

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/New-Gm-Oem-Gmc-Sierra-1500-Denali-19-20-Silverado-Front-Axle-Differential-Locker/755810401

Also note, the part number for the AAL8 axle is 84659680. This part number is too new to come up in a search. The AAL8 axle still had the same play and movement as all the AAM axles I have tested including my own like Limelight's video shows on page 1. Seems like maybe that movement is unrelated to the noisy jingle or clicking that some are experiencing as the SU5 GM axle is unaffected.

In my truck, I have the AAM axle that is denoted as AAHD on the tag and my axle is super-quiet. Of the forum members having problems with the noise in their AAM axles, how many are AAHD and how many are AAJF?

Pictures are attached. First pic is the tag from my LT Z71 5.3L 8-speed with the AAM AAHD axle. Second picture is from the LT Z71 Trail Boss 5.3L 8-speed with the AAM AAJF axle. Third picture is axle tag from the Custom Z71 Trail boss 5.3L 6-speed with the GM AAL8 axle. The fourth picture shows the underbody of the AAL8 axle and how it is different from the AAM axles.

IMG_2485 (1).jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

Edited by Z06JPB

My shop manager said the tip of the axle shaft or whatever is bouncing and hitting something. Sorry, I really didn’t catch all of what he said but it made sense. He said if it was embedded with some type of plastic there would be no noise. My question to him was if that’s the case, why doesn’t it immediately happen and not after so many miles and when warmed up. I could understand when warm because metal expands but why does it take time before symptoms started in our trucks? Some experienced it right away while others it took hundreds to thousands of miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Z06JPB said:

Okay. Everyone get ready to have your mind blown...Did a little dealer checking this evening and discovered some interesting things about the GM and AAM front axles.

On the dealer lot I checked a LT Z71 Trail boss which had a an AAM front axle (SU4) with the AAJF tag and part number 84605752. This axle displayed the same movement and play as the video by Limelight on page 1. Mind you, I did not drive the truck so no way to say if it makes noise while driving.

I MESSED UP! I did not find a GM axle on that Custom Trail boss. What I found was an AAM, AAL8 marked axle.

The AAL8 axle IS a GM axle! I found this axle on a Custom Z71 Trail boss 5.3L 6-speed.

The tag for the AAL8 axle is not in the same place as the AAJF and AAHD. It is on top of the axle. The "GM" symbol is cast on the driver's side just ahead of the drive shaft. The AAL8 is shaped very different from the AAM AAHD and AAJF axles. The passenger side axle extension is round shaped where as with the AAM it is square shaped.

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/New-Gm-Oem-Gmc-Sierra-1500-Denali-19-20-Silverado-Front-Axle-Differential-Locker/755810401

Also note, the part number for the AAL8 axle is 84659680. This part number is too new to come up in a search. The AAL8 axle still had the same play and movement as all the AAM axles I have tested including my own like Limelight's video shows on page 1. Seems like maybe that movement is unrelated to the noisy jingle or clicking that some are experiencing as the SU5 GM axle is unaffected.

In my truck, I have the AAM axle that is denoted as AAHD on the tag and my axle is super-quiet. Of the forum members having problems with the noise in their AAM axles, how many are AAHD and how many are AAJF?

I don't know how many times I had to edit this post.

The AAL8 axle IS a GM axle. Read my edited post above. I checked the axle and CV shafts on the GM axle and it has all the same play and movement as the AAM axles. Since the GM SU5 axle is not affected, something else is causing the AAM axles to jingle/click.

Edited by Z06JPB
  • Like 1

What’s all this then?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10149050-9999.pdf

There seemed to be a problem with SU5 and SU8 GM axles? The original date was was from August 2018. As of June 24, 2019, the restriction had been lifted so dealers can work on the axles:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162153-9999.pdf

The whole time I was under the impression the SU4 was the only axle with problems. 

Edited by Z06JPB

So just got a call from the dealer and they are stating “the part is in”. I was like what is “the part?” lol

He said it’s a ring, seal and a sling?  He said those are the parts for the updated bulletin and is the supposed fix. So it sounds like they don’t want to swap the axle but more or less “fix” the axle so it doesn’t make the annoying noise I guess?  What do you guys think? 

51 minutes ago, atst2000 said:

So just got a call from the dealer and they are stating “the part is in”. I was like what is “the part?” lol

He said it’s a ring, seal and a sling?  He said those are the parts for the updated bulletin and is the supposed fix. So it sounds like they don’t want to swap the axle but more or less “fix” the axle so it doesn’t make the annoying noise I guess?  What do you guys think? 

I was under the impression that this is the old fix. A forum member posted these pages, see pics below. Unless the part numbers changed, it looks like you are getting the old fix, or maybe, there was never really a new fix to begin with.

I suppose let them try the fix but if it doesn’t work, you have more ammo in your pocket to make the case of getting a new axle.

F692473D-E983-4430-B140-798494DEA095.jpeg

F4A8F005-994B-4F79-9AA3-BD25AF10CE63.jpeg

Edited by Z06JPB
  • Thanks 1