Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd

1 hour ago, Wheelguy said:

Might want to check that date again...11/2019 hasn’t arrived yet.

If you want a build sheet with all RPO codes, you can email [email protected] & request the build sheet for your VIN. I did this on a weekday & had a reply in a few hours.

Truth. It was actually 11/2018.

i got the RPO list from the dealer. Took 5 min.

9 minutes ago, Z06JPB said:

i got the RPO list from the dealer. Took 5 min.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear after the date portion - that RPO part was intended for other folks who may not be at or near a dealership and wanting to know which axle they had.

• Like 1

The so called fix did not work for my truck. The dealership said the engineer came by to look at my truck and said the passenger side shaft is also rubbing on the center pin in the axle. He ordered me a new front differential to put in it. This will be the second differential they have put in my truck. I told the dealership I wanted the GM axle this time but who knows which differential I will get.  I hope this will be the fix for me, but I'm not to confident about it.

59 minutes ago, z71 man said:

The so called fix did not work for my truck. The dealership said the engineer came by to look at my truck and said the passenger side shaft is also rubbing on the center pin in the axle. He ordered me a new front differential to put in it. This will be the second differential they have put in my truck. I told the dealership I wanted the GM axle this time but who knows which differential I will get.  I hope this will be the fix for me, but I'm not to confident about it.

Was it the first fix or this second, new fix you had done?

I’m going to guess that the replacement axle you’ll get will be another AAM. GM is pretty inflexible when it comes to “modifying” their vehicles nowadays. If you VIN comes up with an SU4 then the only replacement they will approve is another SU4.

Common sense would say just put a GM SU5 in it and be done, but the phrase “common sense” and “GM” don’t go together.

• Like 2

So when they call me to install the axle, should I just not get it done and wait for a proper fix?

I am on the phone now with GM, and the customer service rep has a really bad accent and I can't understand WTF he saying... ?

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss

23 minutes ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

So when they call me to install the axle, should I just not get it done and wait for a proper fix?

I am on the phone now with GM, and the customer service rep has a really bad accent and I can't understand WTF he saying... ?

We are all still waiting to hear what the new fix is all about. Right now it’s a mystery but one forum member on this thread had the dealer place “it” on order. It could be a newly and properly manufactured AAM axle which would definitely solve the problem. As of now, no one has any part number(s).

Up until this point, all the replacement AAM axles have been flawed and have not solved the problem. Also, the old “fix” included replacing some seals and rings which has not solved the problem either.

42 minutes ago, Z06JPB said:

We are all still waiting to hear what the new fix is all about. Right now it’s a mystery but one forum member on this thread had the dealer place “it” on order. It could be a newly and properly manufactured AAM axle which would definitely solve the problem. As of now, no one has any part number(s).

Up until this point, all the replacement AAM axles have been flawed and have not solved the problem. Also, the old “fix” included replacing some seals and rings which has not solved the problem either.

Yup I understand all that Sir.

The dealership said they ordered a new axle and it's the same one. So I am wondering, when they call me back to say they have it in and are ready to install, should I just decline for now and wait it out for a permanent fix?

13 minutes ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

Yup I understand all that Sir.

The dealership said they ordered a new axle and it's the same one. So I am wondering, when they call me back to say they have it in and are ready to install, should I just decline for now and wait it out for a permanent fix?

The new axle your dealer ordered could be the new fix if it’s a newly manufactured model. So I wouldn’t dismiss the repair. 

It it could also be an old model axle that is flawed. Then I would not have the repair done. 

It’s a tough decision. If there were a way to tell what date the axle was made, that would help. As one member on here had a truck that was made in 6/2019 that still had a bad axle, I would say the production date of the new AAM axle would have to be July/August time frame for me to even consider that it might be manufactured correctly. 

Ill look at my axle to see if there is any indicator of a date code on the sticker. If not, the serial number of the axle would need to be recorded and a call to AAM might get that sorted out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Z06JPB said:

The new axle your dealer ordered could be the new fix if it’s a newly manufactured model. So I wouldn’t dismiss the repair. 

It it could also be an old model axle that is flawed. Then I would not have the repair done. 

It’s a tough decision. If there were a way to tell what date the axle was made, that would help. As one member on here had a truck that was made in 6/2019 that still had a bad axle, I would say the production date of the new AAM axle would have to be July/August time frame for me to even consider that it might be manufactured correctly. 

Ill look at my axle to see if there is any indicator of a date code on the sticker. If not, the serial number of the axle would need to be recorded and a call to AAM might get that sorted out.

My thoughts exactly on the new fix. It sounds like they (GM) finally figured it out and there having to manufacture and new axle which would explain why they can only order it. 

I guess time will tell. 

1 hour ago, atst2000 said:

My thoughts exactly on the new fix. It sounds like they (GM) finally figured it out and there having to manufacture and new axle which would explain why they can only order it. 

I guess time will tell. 

Yup. Also, if they have changed the design or modified the production of the AAM axle, there should be a new part number.

Here is the picture of the tag on my AAM axle. Could not decipher any date code but maybe one is a serial number. Either way, if you are having a new AAM axle installed, check the part number, it could be an indicator that you are not getting a new unit.

A3DD0AA3-0B20-4834-9AC0-16E63977C90D.jpeg

Edited by Z06JPB

5 minutes ago, Z06JPB said:

Yup. Also, if they have changed the design or modified the production of the AAM axle, there should be a new part number.

Here is the picture of the tag on my AAM axle. Could decipher any date code but maybe one is a serial number. Either way, if you are having a new AAM axle installed, check the part number, it could be an indicator that you are not getting a new unit.

A3DD0AA3-0B20-4834-9AC0-16E63977C90D.jpeg

I’ll check mine and take a picture. Where exactly is it located under the truck?

46 minutes ago, atst2000 said:

I’ll check mine and take a picture. Where exactly is it located under the truck?

Drivers side between the skid plate and the axle. Not that easy to see. Had to wedge the camera in there. You can just peek your eye up there though.

• Like 1

Yes its located under the Truck. From the drivers side crawl under your truck and look for the drivers side tire (D.S.T. / Red Arrow in picture) half shaft going into the front differential. The sticker is between the skid plate and bottom of the front differential (Red circle in picture)

Z06JPB posted a picture of the AAHD one. GM Part# 84557635

This is a picture of the AAJF one. GM Part# 84605752

The web site for the AAJF one GM Part# 84605752

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/New-Gm-Oemgmc-Sierra-1500-Denali-19-20-Silverado-1500-Front-Axle-Differential/755053294?goog_pla=1&gpid=341761184097&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o3&ad_type=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIke-O-o2u5AIVCIzICh2ozQ8pEAYYAyABEgJ4ofD_BwE

the website list this at the bottom and states that the AAJF one

"Fits 2019-2020 new body Sierra pick up and Sierra Denali pickup with electric shift, #84605752 only!!"

It goes on to state that they (GM) make 4 different axles... So maybe 2 of them are the American axle ones and the other 2 GM axles???

I'm assuming that the AAHD and AAJF ones are American Axles???

Anyone have a part # for the "GM" stamped axles?

Hopefully this helps.

They make 4 different axles so you MUST verify this info or it will not work! 
On the white sticker, the GM Part # is right there - if this matches, you got the right one: 84605752 - only! DO NOT GO BY VIN# ONLY - dealer did and got this wrong one!

Hopefully this helps...

AAJD_1PNG.PNG

Website.PNG

Description.PNG

Edited by Matty Patty
  • Like 1

Good find! 

I did not know there was another AAM produced one. My AAHD is from my Z71 LT  5.3L, 8-speed, Crew Cab.

It is possible the AAJF is for a 4cyl, or maybe it’s for the 6.2L, or maybe it’s for a 6-speed or 10-speed trans. 

If there are two AAM axles it is very likely there are two GM axles. As far as we know, there are only two RPO codes; SU4 for an AAM axle and SU5 for a GM axle. The RPO doesn’t distinguish any other differences.

Will be interesting to see what others have and what engine/trans combo they have.

edited: just noticed the description said for a Sierra or Denali. Maybe the AAJF is just for the GMC side.

Edited by Z06JPB
  • Like 1

So today I get a call from GM just 12 days before my arbitration date that they have good news they now have the fix in place for my Silverado. GM said they will call the dealer on Tuesday. Has anyone had this so called fix successfully completed yet?

Edited by ILSilverado