Towing Pics

On 2/8/2021 at 9:39 AM, 175vTrailbossLT said:

Hey guys. Does anyone have any real world examples of a 1/2ton truck towing another 1/2 Ton truck?

I have a 2019 trail boss LT 5.3L v8. Want to see if I can tow my 2011 silverado extended cab also with 5.3.

I ran some numbers and I am coming up with a technical “yea” I could do it. But I’m planning on a 6 hour drive over the grapevine in CA (big elevation changes). I used an online calculator and had to input a couple variables like - guessed that the trailer would have GVWR of 10,000lb (pj trailer buggy hauler model) and that the trailers “cargo weight” is simply the curb weight of the 2011 truck being towed which I put in as 5500 lbs.

Here is the trailer sticker from my truck.

I’m debating renting a 3/4 ton truck from enterprise instead.

f1b31a39560ef2b0bcdf9eec8c2db9fb.jpg
a1bacdbe4c8fc128c0d1de01eb4ae2b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say you’re fine

For the guys using WDHs, who is running a Blue Ox? My dealer is throwing one in with the new trailer we bought. From what I’ve read is a good option so figured what the hell. But I’d like to hear some feedback from you all on them

• 3 weeks later...

Picked a new weekend toy today, drove about 100 miles with empty trailer and 100 miles back loaded. Averaged 11.5 MPG for the whole trip. Towed like a dream, first time towing with this truck.

8AD2A889-E0F5-492F-BA4D-A3DA8D38CB60.jpeg

23 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

Sure, why not more.

EBAE2028-65D4-417C-B338-6C0615C84ADC.jpeg

Nice!   How did you like the U-Haul car trailer? I know they are relatively light and have surge brakes so no need for a brake controller. Asking cause I may need to use one in the future.

16 hours ago, garagerog said:

Nice!   How did you like the U-Haul car trailer? I know they are relatively light and have surge brakes so no need for a brake controller. Asking cause I may need to use one in the future.

Well it actually towed great, it appeared to be an older trailer but it had new tires on it. The surge brakes worked well and seemed to be very light. I had it up to 71 MPH loaded and it did just fine. I’d rent again if needed, and only cost me $60.00 for the day.

• Like 1

I listen to a program called car pro. It’s been on awhile. The personality used to own car dealerships. He gets to drive a different vehicle every week. He seems to lean Toyota for hybrid and cars. Ford for trucks for pulling and Ram for comfort. He has dealers nationwide that are on his website that offer hassle free car buying. I belonged for awhile. Among other perks were free carwashes and premium services. His opinion on part time towing is. Under 11K 1/2 ton properly equipped is the way to go. Being seemingly a Toyota guy his pick was a Ford 3.5 with the 373 gear. My only real experience is with gooseneck- fifth wheel I figure I pass this on. In sure any properly equipped 1/2 ton would be the same.

4 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I listen to a program called car pro. It’s been on awhile. The personality used to own car dealerships. He gets to drive a different vehicle every week. He seems to lean Toyota for hybrid and cars. Ford for trucks for pulling and Ram for comfort. He has dealers nationwide that are on his website that offer hassle free car buying. I belonged for awhile. Among other perks were free carwashes and premium services. His opinion on part time towing is. Under 11K 1/2 ton properly equipped is the way to go. Being seemingly a Toyota guy his pick was a Ford 3.5 with the 373 gear. My only real experience is with gooseneck- fifth wheel I figure I pass this on. In sure any properly equipped 1/2 ton would be the same.

That's interesting because I talked to one guy who owned both an F150 and a Tundra. He hated the Toyota with a passion but admitted that it towed better than the Ford.

That's interesting because I talked to one guy who owned both an F150 and a Tundra. He hated the Toyota with a passion but admitted that it towed better than the Ford.

If I was to buy a new truck right now. It would be a Toyota. A V-8 that’s not a Frankenstein. But I believe the 3.5 has more horsepower and TQ. For towing I’d only go fifth wheel. But that’s just my preference.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 8:39 PM, David Withrow said:

Went from Ohio to Tupper lake New York. 2 Atvs and lots of hunting gear. 

IMG_4205.jpg truck 1.jpg

Specs on this trailer, please? Truck specs and fuel mileage with trailer? Thanks

Edited by Jim165
More questions