Hopefully I didn't miss this being posted already, if so, I'm sorry.

I have a 2004 Tahoe, 2WD, 4.8L, 4L60E.
Transmission went out, I have a 1999 Silverado 5.3L, 4L60E 4x4 with transfer case.

The only thing I noticed different besides having the transfer case and extra plugs on the 99 harness for said transfer case, is the neutral safety switch on the 99 4x4 trans has a 2 plug harness vs my 2004 Tahoe trans with a single harness plug.

Am I able to use this 4x4 trans in my 2WD Tahoe? I'm assuming I could swap the safety switch, and leave the front driveshaft off? Also finding a rear driveshaft off of a 4x4 Tahoe since mine and the donor truck's driveshaft would be too long, I'd assume?

I've been told I could and I've been told I couldn't. I've swapped transmissions before, but never done anything like this, so I'd just like some insight if someone could help me on this topic I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Hopefully I didn't miss this being posted already, if so, I'm sorry.

I have a 2004 Tahoe, 2WD, 4.8L, 4L60E.
Transmission went out, I have a 1999 Silverado 5.3L, 4L60E 4x4 with transfer case.

The only thing I noticed different besides having the transfer case and extra plugs on the 99 harness for said transfer case, is the neutral safety switch on the 99 4x4 trans has a 2 plug harness vs my 2004 Tahoe trans with a single harness plug.

Am I able to use this 4x4 trans in my 2WD Tahoe? I'm assuming I could swap the safety switch, and leave the front driveshaft off? Also finding a rear driveshaft off of a 4x4 Tahoe since mine and the donor truck's driveshaft would be too long, I'd assume?

I've been told I could and I've been told I couldn't. I've swapped transmissions before, but never done anything like this, so I'd just like some insight if someone could help me on this topic I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Don't get me wrong but I thought in place of the 4x4 gearbox I thought you put the longer tailshaft from your old transmission on the new one and remove the transfer case assembly and bracket if I recollect properly.

I'm a hands on person so explaining stuff isn't my forte. Hope that helps some.

I Do have the 4L60 Book and Tech guide as well they use for rebuilding them.

I could scan and email some pages later if needed if you need something specific.

I'm not posting online out of respect for the content creators. Sharing a few pages or specs don't hurt anything but when people make copies of books and send them then that crosses the line. Just as I have shopkey pro but that's expensive and ip address monitored so I don't share login info as that would violate my contract and I'd still have to pay per the contract terms of service. Snap On gets protective of that and rightfully so.

Mitchell DIY has a single or multi year subscription you can get for about $45 for 5yrs. I have that but only because a few years ago I didn't know I'd have a business license and be subscribing to shopkey which is well worth the money if you fix stuff but they will want to see a business license if you do that. Business licenses are easy to get as it's just a tax license number from your state and if you feel you make at least $150 per month in revenue then it's worth it as you'll speed up on jobs and make more money.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, dtnel78 said:

Don't get me wrong but I thought in place of the 4x4 gearbox I thought you put the longer tailshaft from your old transmission on the new one and remove the transfer case assembly and bracket if I recollect properly.

I'm a hands on person so explaining stuff isn't my forte. Hope that helps some.

I Do have the 4L60 Book and Tech guide as well they use for rebuilding them.

I could scan and email some pages later if needed if you need something specific.

I'm not posting online out of respect for the content creators. Sharing a few pages or specs don't hurt anything but when people make copies of books and send them then that crosses the line. Just as I have shopkey pro but that's expensive and ip address monitored so I don't share login info as that would violate my contract and I'd still have to pay per the contract terms of service. Snap On gets protective of that and rightfully so.

Mitchell DIY has a single or multi year subscription you can get for about $45 for 5yrs. I have that but only because a few years ago I didn't know I'd have a business license and be subscribing to shopkey which is well worth the money if you fix stuff but they will want to see a business license if you do that. Business licenses are easy to get as it's just a tax license number from your state and if you feel you make at least $150 per month in revenue then it's worth it as you'll speed up on jobs and make more money.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well I was told it wouldn't work, but someone else also mentioned removing the t-case and putting my old tailshaft on.  I didn't know if I had to change the output shafts out via removing internal transmission parts or if it was as simple as swapping housings as long as the splines were the same.

You will have to change tailshafts because the 4x2 is longer, that also means you will need the longer output shaft which requires you to disassemble the tranny. 

You can swap in the older transmission, but you will need the driveshaft and have to adapt the wiring harness, which is pretty simple. 

Here is your problem though unless you have a transfer case without a front slip yoke (most newer ones have a slip yoke) you will need a driveshaft to seal the hole. You can find a SYE kit for a lot of transfer cases, but by the time you get involved you are spending a lot of time and some money. Then add in that you will need to make sure the crossmember matches up, as well as the exhaust doesn't get in the way. You might as well just have the transmission rebuilt or depending on other factors rebuild it yourself. You wouldn't be the first person to do it at home without any experience.