Adding A/C to a non A/C truck

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. But I came here because I know I can get good info from this site. So let's get to it. I have a 1990 Chevy C1500. It didn't come with A/C. It's getting hot out. I know it's possible to add A/C. I just don't know where to start. I also know that there are under dash units that will not fit my truck. I also know that auto A/C shops can get kits for specific vehicles, however I can't find one for my exact year, make, and model anywhere. Would anyone be able to put me in the right direction for one of these kits or help me with my problem? Thanks so much, everyone. 

Screenshot_20190529-185243.png

Trying to do it myself. Called a local shop and they were going to charge me 3 Grand. I can't afford that. That's more than I paid for the truck. The only thing I don't understand is that the shop said that they had a kit for that model year 1990 but I can't find it, or a website for the kit anywhere. I looked on LMC and they just sell individual components. Not kits. If I go with LMC, I'd have to know what all components I'd need. 

Doing a quick search l would go to a salvage yard and buy the under hood brackets. I would go online buy an under dash unit. Parts store for a replacement AC compressor. I would check the prices between doing my own lines or getting them made. It looks the easiest and be done for about a grand. If you do the installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+KARNUT 

That's what I was going to do at first. But I scanned underneath there just for kicks and from what I saw the under dash unit wouldn't work unless I rip the heater parts and the floor position air vents out (the vents that point diagonally towards your feet / \). Also I'd have to cut up the middle of my dash to make it fit. Another thing is, I have a stick shift so it might make it harder and/or even get in the way. I was moreso thinking on going to scrap yard, getting some brackets and in-dash parts that control the position modes and everything and then for everything else, going brand new to ensure proper operation and reliability. 

I don't know if you have to find a '90 or if any 88-94 will have parts that will work, but I would think you could find a junk truck with A/C for $500 or less and get all the parts you needed and swap them on to your truck.  Yeah, you might have to get a new compressor or evaporator but you would be much, much less than $3000.  Or maybe you can find a junkyard that will sell you all the stuff real cheap and not try to ask high prices for something stupid they will just scrap for 50 cents anyway.

• 1 year later...

Hi Jacob!

I know it's been a while, but have you made any progress with getting ac into your truck?

I have an 89 gmc k1500 that I need to do the same thing with. A few shops I have visited all guided me to doing the work myself. First find the correct mounting brackets for all the under-hood items, get the compressor, condensor, dryer/evaporator mounted. Then pull the dash and drop the heater box, add the condensor to the vacant spot, drill the holes in the firewall. Make sure the venting controls work of course, whether they are cable-actuated or electronic (mine are cable), so you can route the air away from the heater core and on to the condensor, and  of course so you can direct your air where you want it to go. Then just wire a toggle/on/off switch to place/mount somewhere on/under the dash to turn on the compressor/activate the clutch. At that point I would take it to a shop to have them plumb it and charge the system. 

It's a huge job, but doable. I hope to hear that you have done so, or something similar, with good results.

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 12:39 PM, Yoajusto said:

Hi Jacob!

I know it's been a while, but have you made any progress with getting ac into your truck?

I have an 89 gmc k1500 that I need to do the same thing with. A few shops I have visited all guided me to doing the work myself. First find the correct mounting brackets for all the under-hood items, get the compressor, condensor, dryer/evaporator mounted. Then pull the dash and drop the heater box, add the condensor to the vacant spot, drill the holes in the firewall. Make sure the venting controls work of course, whether they are cable-actuated or electronic (mine are cable), so you can route the air away from the heater core and on to the condensor, and  of course so you can direct your air where you want it to go. Then just wire a toggle/on/off switch to place/mount somewhere on/under the dash to turn on the compressor/activate the clutch. At that point I would take it to a shop to have them plumb it and charge the system. 

It's a huge job, but doable. I hope to hear that you have done so, or something similar, with good results.

Hey! Thanks for your input. I had the same idea myself. The thing I can’t wrap my head around is that the compressor should be switching on and off intermittently. If I wired in a switch to turn the compressor on/off when I wanted AC, wouldn’t there be no way for the compressor to turn itself on/off as it should? Or does the compressor have a sensor that activates/deactivates by pressure? I’m not sure how it works, but that is my big question. As for my progress, I haven’t made any progress on the AC system yet. Im about to start getting into it again though because I want to see it done. However, this is what the truck looks like now. It was dirty in this pic but I recently gave it a comet wash to get it ready for sanding and painting here in the future. 

23F864BC-3E81-40ED-B339-07C028786479.jpeg