AC crapped out, Transmission shudder UPDATE_4

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement on this fiasco. I'm going to be working on a PowerPoint with timeline and will be contacting customer support to start working on getting this one taken back and a new one ordered.

This is going to be like pushing a rope uphill through a brier patch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blanz said:

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement on this fiasco. I'm going to be working on a PowerPoint with timeline and will be contacting customer support to start working on getting this one taken back and a new one ordered.

This is going to be like pushing a rope uphill through a brier patch. 

Keep us posted!

UPDATE_3:

Dealership service manager called and said the evaporator coil is back ordered and there is no ETA at this time.

They have finally given me another Silverado to use while they wait on the coil.

I can’t make this shit up!

I continue to update my letter that will go through an attorney before sending to GM requesting a replacement vehicle.

I’d have better luck in a used Yugo for Christ sakes.

15 minutes ago, Blanz said:

UPDATE_3:

Dealership service manager called and said the evaporator coil is back ordered and there is no ETA at this time.

They have finally given me another Silverado to use while they wait on the coil.

I continue to update my letter that will go through an attorney before sending to GM requesting a replacement vehicle.

SMH... Awful. By the time the coil comes in the tech will have forgotten how to put all the interior back together.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, Blanz said:

UPDATE_3:

Have you talked to your dealer about getting a new truck, before you get an attorney try that first. You never know it might work. Like I said mistake happens on the assembly line but to be fair to you they should compensate you with a new truck and once they fix this one they can sell it. My opinion work with your dealer to get GM to compensate you for their mistake. All what you did is gave them your hard earned money. The least they can do is give you what you paid for.

Good luck!

THere will definately be some extra screws left over when your dash is put back. That is unbelievable that has to be done to repair. What will that cost out of pocket down the road with no warranty. It would have to be a couple grand.

UPDATE_4:

Dealership completed the evaporator replacement and did a relearn on the transmission.

The mechanic actually did a bang-up job reconstructing the cab and everything is working fine, especially the AC. 

I'm sure the 8-speed transmission will be the same, as they did not do the flush since the transmission already had the new Mobil 1 ATF fluid from the factory.

I have crafted a letter requesting a repurchase or replacement of the truck and sent it off to GM this afternoon. 

I'll keep you guys posted once I hear back from them.

The attached image was at the final tear-down when they were waiting for the replacement evaporator.

Remember, no matter what issues you may be having with your truck, it could always be worse!

Bill.

.5d38d8c7079b2_2019-07-1909_26_53.jpg.30c370fabf96236ea22b041bd7e62a15.jpg 

18 hours ago, Blanz said:

UPDATE_4:

Dealership completed the evaporator replacement and did a relearn on the transmission.

The mechanic actually did a bang-up job reconstructing the cab and everything is working fine, especially the AC. 

I'm sure the 8-speed transmission will be the same, as they did not do the flush since the transmission already had the new Mobil 1 ATF fluid from the factory.

I have crafted a letter requesting a repurchase or replacement of the truck and sent it off to GM this afternoon. 

The attached image was at the final tear-down when they were waiting for the replacement evaporator.

Remember, no matter what issues you may be having with your truck, it could always be worse!

Bill.

Whoa.  And THIS is why I buy an extended warranty and won't own these new trucks outside of one.  I can't imagine what this would cost.

That's shitty to hear, I can't believe how these newer vehicles are engineered to where you have to disassemble almost the entire cab to change an evaporator or something similar.  I have had to pull almost a whole front end to change an alternator in a car I worked on for a friend it just boggles the mind what engineers come up with sometimes.

Edited by Jricharc

4 minutes ago, Jricharc said:

That's shitty to hear, I can't believe how these newer vehicles are engineered to where you have to disassemble almost the entire cab to change an evaporator or something similar.  I have had to pull almost a whole front end to change an alternator in a car I worked on for a friend it just boggles the mind what engineers come up with sometimes.

To be fair, lots of cars for a long time have required a dash pull for various HVAC repairs.  Difference being there is SO much more to the dash and interiors in general on these new vehicles.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jricharc said:

The vehicle is engineered to be modular. The whole dash is no doubt an assembly that's placed in the vehicle in one piece. So when a component in that assembly is bad, you have to tear the entire thing apart to get access to it.

17 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

The vehicle is engineered to be modular. The whole dash is no doubt an assembly that's placed in the vehicle in one piece. So when a component in that assembly is bad, you have to tear the entire thing apart to get access to it.

Very true, there are very few vehicles out there that don't require the dash to come out to do an evaporator or heater core. And its due to the assembly line, they slide that dash assembly in on the line with no doors or seats in the car. Anywho, the new Camero require the windshield to be removed to get the dash out. Good reason to not work for Chevy.lol

4 minutes ago, Bikeman said:

Very true, there are very few vehicles out there that don't require the dash to come out to do an evaporator or heater core. And its due to the assembly line, they slide that dash assembly in on the line with no doors or seats in the car. Anywho, the new Camero require the windshield to be removed to get the dash out. Good reason to not work for Chevy.lol

Agree, most vehicles require the dash to come out for an evaporator change and GM knows this and designed it this way. I wish Bill luck and feel for him but a mfg. won't give everyone a new vehicle every time an evaporator goes out. Can you imagine if they would? 

• 10 months later...
On 7/24/2019 at 5:19 PM, Blanz said:

UPDATE_4:

Bill.

Any update?  Just curious.  Everything going good?  No news on buyback/replacement?