Aftermarket Shocks for AT4

Anyone swapped out these horrible Rancho shocks yet, I called Fox and they said it would be quite awhile.

Anyone know of anything better?

I hate the "boatiness" at highway speeds

Thanks in advance!

Edited by 21STCMC

19 hours ago, 21STCMC said:

Anyone swapped out these horrible Rancho shocks yet, I called Fox and they said it would be quite awhile.

Anyone know of anything better?

I hate the "battiness" at highway speeds

Thanks in advance!

Any good brand such as Bilstein 5100, Eibach or Pro Comp SS will be much better than the Rancho IMHO as debated in other topics!

I get beat up by a few here for suggesting that the Ranchos are Sub-Par in several categories.

You are absolutely correct. I pointed this Rancho issue out when the Trail Boss first debuted.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 21STCMC said:

Oh it’s not the pressures, already tried that and even swapped the tires.

The shocks are not acceptable for a $64,000 truck

The AT4 and Trail Boss are no means Raptor fighters but the trucks should have came with something nicer shock wise rolling off the factory line.

If Ford can do it so can GM. We are only talking peanuts more when you have a truck of that price.

What do you mean in terms of "Battiness" ?  Do you get a pogo stick like ride on certain pavements or feel like the truck is shaking apart at railroad crossings?

35 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

The AT4 and Trail Boss are no means Raptor fighters but the trucks should have came with something nicer shock wise rolling off the factory line.

If Ford can do it so can GM. We are only talking peanuts more when you have a truck of that price.

What do you mean in terms of "Battiness" ?  Do you get a pogo stick like ride on certain pavements or feel like the truck is shaking apart at railroad crossings?

Sorry, "boatiness" Rides like a boat going over small waves on the highway and crazy if you hit bumps in freeway at 70+ mph

I just don't get this high end shock business. I have another vehicle that I use for hunting, camping, fishing etc.. Its been down the harshest forestry roads, no roads, you name it. Its on the OE shocks. 

I have pulled up next to guys on trails with built rigs that have $6k into their stage 26 IKON suspension and I'm on the same trail as them. 

Highway ride is going to come down to the tire, the coils the leafs AND the shocks, but I just can't see these Rancho's being that bad. I think somewhere in the early 2000's someone sold the idea that a truck should drive like a car. 

I bought a truck. I work it. I really don't pay any attention to the Rancho's they really seem to be fine. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Roddy8 said:

I just don't get this high end shock business. I have another vehicle that I use for hunting, camping, fishing etc.. Its been down the harshest forestry roads, no roads, you name it. Its on the OE shocks. 

I have pulled up next to guys on trails with built rigs that have $6k into their stage 26 IKON suspension and I'm on the same trail as them. 

Highway ride is going to come down to the tire, the coils the leafs AND the shocks, but I just can't see these Rancho's being that bad. I think somewhere in the early 2000's someone sold the idea that a truck should drive like a car. 

I bought a truck. I work it. I really don't pay any attention to the Rancho's they really seem to be fine. 

I do agree with what you're saying here but I will tell you from personal experience, if you take off the Rancho's on a brand new truck and replace them with something like a Bilstein 5100 you will see a big ride difference. I did that to my last 2 Tahoes and it was a night and day difference. While the OEM shocks worked just fine once you change to a quality shock you'll see the difference. 

Just my experience, others may vary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roddy8 said:

That's cool but I think they are very subpar in ride quality and bump absorption, I don't get using a $40 shock on a 64k truck

20 minutes ago, 21STCMC said:

That's cool but I think they are very subpar in ride quality and bump absorption, I don't get using a $40 shock on a 64k truck

I don't get how a (I am ball parking here at OE purchase prices) $60 shock ($90 retail) 5100 can be such a massive change some try to say they are. They weren't a night and day difference when I put mine on and that was on 60k worn out ranchos. 

People forget these trucks need to also hit certain ride characteristics qualities and have equipment reading the harshness levels. The 5100's ride rougher in many cases (especially broken pavement and smaller bumps) and wouldn't have accomplished their set goals. I know trucks should ride rougher and I don't mind it but blame all the new truck owners coming from cuv's and luxury sedans that complain about the ride in their loaded truck not matching what they came from, with all these new voices and opinions GM (all manufacturers) need to adjust their characteristic levels. 

Tyler

58 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

I don't get how a (I am ball parking here at OE purchase prices) $60 shock ($90 retail) 5100 can be such a massive change some try to say they are. They weren't a night and day difference when I put mine on and that was on 60k worn out ranchos. 

People forget these trucks need to also hit certain ride characteristics qualities and have equipment reading the harshness levels. The 5100's ride rougher in many cases (especially broken pavement and smaller bumps) and wouldn't have accomplished their set goals. I know trucks should ride rougher and I don't mind it but blame all the new truck owners coming from cuv's and luxury sedans that complain about the ride in their loaded truck not matching what they came from, with all these new voices and opinions GM (all manufacturers) need to adjust their characteristic levels. 

Tyler

the 5100s do not ride rougher (read:unpleasant) - I have two sets of them on both of my lifted trucks (an 84 k20 and a 15 2500hd). "Firmer" and "more planted" I feel are better adjectives to describe the Bilsteins. The truck became much more pleasant to drive going with the 5100 vs the stock shocks and the crappy lift kit shocks on all roads at all speeds

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Blk99cobra said:

I bought a at4 yesterday and i do agree how the truck feels like its floating i have been looking all over trying to find different shocks but really havent had any luck im wondering if the 5100s for the 14 thru 18s would fit 

I called Bilstein and Fox and neither one had anything available yet.

King is the only brand I found with direct replacements.