Help with decision, 16 5.3 AT to 19 5.3 AT4 to 19 6.2 AT4

Ok guys help me out with decision,

Currently own a 16 Sierra All Terrain 5.3 3.42. I tow 9500 pounds and honestly struck handles it great, plenty of power. I am very happy with truck except for the transmission shudder thats well documented, ive had every update to date and its still there, however currently at 34500 miles so warranty is about up. Plus the AT4 looks bad azz,

The replacement will be a 19 AT4, im having a hard time making one fit my budget with the 6.2, but id like to get one,

My concerns

The 5.3 so far has been fine for power but with the new model they seem only come with 3.23's and im worried thats not gonna cut it.

Has anyone gone between these 2 and noticed a major drop off in towing? The tow rating is within 100 pounds on paper.

My other concern is that some are complaining about rear end sag, my 16 does drop but not that much, just enough to take out the rake.

Any input appreciated..

Thanks

I’d wait for 2020 models. They are expanding the 6.2 with 10 speed trans to lower trims.  Think TraIl Boss Custom 6.2 w/ 10 speed! They are also expanding the 10 speed to 5.3s in certain trims. I’d run from that 8 speed. They still have problems in 2019 and they will continue to have problems. Check out the 20’ Powertrain options;

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/may/0522-silverado.html

• Like 1

If the truck is rated to pull/carry the load, you will be fine.  (Of course this is assuming aftermarket modifications don't reduce these limits)   The idea that a larger engine won't work as hard while towing and therefore get better mpg''s is reasonable. The downside to this is that you are receiving poorer mpg's during the 95%+ of the time you are not towing.  The 6.2 is a great choice for the fun factor.  It is much harder to justify as a need, imo.

5.3 is all I'd need to suit my needs but that would be with the max tow package and 3.42 rear end and obviously everyone is different. I don't believe the statement that 6.2 is cheaper to run given that it is rated as having slightly worse fuel economy and burns premium. 

I currently have a 19 trailboss with the 5.3 8 speed, shifts and runs great so far, just towed a 27.5 foot travel trailer and it worked very nice.  only down shifted once climbing a larger hill.  Doesn't sag at all with sway bar hitch unit.

19 hours ago, Darcy said:

I don't have a problem my truck doesn't sag down with a leveling kit in it it so whatever way you go in a at4 sock or leveling kit

20190615_141722.jpg

how much did you raise the front end

10 hours ago, mikelevitt said:

I've owned both the 6.2 and 5.3.  The 6.2 has much more power, better drivability, and gets better gas mileage.  If you are towing 9500 pounds without a weight leveling hitch, then you probably have 1000 pounds on the hitch ball.  Which is a lot...

Tongue weight should be between 950 and 1425.  I tow a 6K trailer that has an 800lb tongue weight.  The rear will sag, but I can get it nearly level with the WDH. 

I originally was going to go 5.3 with max tow.  Ended up 6.2 max tow, because I didn't want to be left lacking.  My opinion is that the 6.2 and the 10sp make a world of towing difference over the 5.3 8sp.  

I had numerous test drives in the 5.3 and the 6.2. The 6.2 with the 10 speed is a game changer in terms of drive quality...There is something "buttery" about the 6.2/10. It drives like a luxury vehicle...

It will be very interesting to see what the 5.3 drives like with the 10 speed. To be completely honest Im not sure if its the 6.2 or the 10 speed that makes so much difference.

I would definitely wait for the 5.3/10 speed or just go with the 6.2/10 speed.

Edited by Chris walker
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Devil's advocate: 2500HD gasser

Ya i hear ya, 90% of my towing is within 2 miles, (boat ramp) 2 maybe 3 trips a year which are 200 roundtrip, so hard to go that route because of fuel mileage, not that i havent considered it, but there are literally no gasers around here, except for a few chevy dbl cabs with alaskan stickers on them, btw the guy that came up with that should honestly be punched in the mouth

Edited by jamin87ss