Larger Fuel Tank?

On 7/2/2019 at 1:03 PM, rkj__ said:

In rural areas, fuel stations can be very far apart.  Also, if you do any driving late at night, stations that do actually exist, are closed anyway.  For those more extreme situations, some extra fuel cans in the bed can get you trough, but it's just nicer to not have to pack 'em. 

This is a very valid point for Canada. I bought a 2021 2500HD Duramax High Country last week and returned it to the dealer this week.  Consumption was such that on the standard tank I would hardly get 500km. I do regular trips of 650km starting after work on Friday at 5pm and going to Northern Manitoba. By the time I reach the remote areas, all local gas stations are closed. I could take a detour (adding 45 minutes to my trip) to fill up at a rural town along the way (that has 24/7 fuel), but that does not suite me. I've been doing this trip for 3.5 years with my 2017 2500HD Duramax and had nearly half a tank left by the time I reached my destination - every time. Having the same engine, I was shocked at the poor consumption of the 2021 L5P. It has been back at the dealer for 3 days but as yet there is no word on why the consumption is 4 times that of my 2017 L5P. I did look into fitting a larger fuel tank but blowing another 2 - 3k on a brand spanking new truck just to allow me to take a long trip, is not worth it. Guess I'll be taking back my 2017 truck and leaving the dealer to sell the 2021 guzzler to someone else. But your comment is very valid for Canadian drivers. And that is what I explained to the dealer when I returned the truck - it is not usable because it does not fulfill me needs.

While I will agree that I would like a larger fuel tank, this one is bigger than my first new Chevy. I had a ‘80 K10 regular cab, short bed. If I recall it had a 16 gallon tank. About 200 miles was all I could get before refueling. 

At least GM gave the option of ordering dual tanks, but money was tight. 

• 1 year later...

Not that it changes matters much but I found that the tank from a Suburban is 31 gallons. It's the same frame so it should be a bolt in. I can only see the pickup being different in that application. It would be 24 gallons for sure but it doesn't help me much as my tank is 28 gallons. Best case would be 60 extra miles fo a thousand or so dollars...

22 minutes ago, Sierra White said:

Not that it changes matters much but I found that the tank from a Suburban is 31 gallons. It's the same frame so it should be a bolt in. I can only see the pickup being different in that application. It would be 24 gallons for sure but it doesn't help me much as my tank is 28 gallons. Best case would be 60 extra miles fo a thousand or so dollars...

Suburban frame and 1500 pickup frame are NOT the same. 

And the 2500's has a significantly heavier frame than the 1500's

On 3/11/2022 at 2:05 PM, SierraKid said:

Theres two companies out of australia that make them off the shelf. I emailed them asking if I could buy one but have it shipped here to the U.S.

Company 1

Company 2

Company 1 - I wonder if it would work with a borla cat back

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 8:57 AM, greatmizzou said:

The HD trucks have bigger fuel tanks and I think the only 1500 with bigger tank is long bed regular cab.   It’s been that way forever with GM I believe.

I imagine even with Ford it’s hard to find trucks on dealer lots with the bigger half ton tank.  I looked forever for a Tundra with the bigger tank and it’s a crapshoot.   Sort of like trying to find a Chevy 1500 crew cab with a standard sized bed!

just letting you know it’s not easy, but certainly a guarantee when you move up to the HD line

I have the std cab 8’ bed and it’s only 24 gallons, but I’m looking as well

On 4/3/2022 at 8:45 PM, lemkerailroad said:

I have the std cab 8’ bed and it’s only 24 gallons, but I’m looking as well

2020 1500 reg cab 8ft bed is spec'd at 28...

Wonder if a group-buy of sorts could entice a company to produce one. 

example: get a # of people to commit an amount of dollars upfront paying some sort of balance when items are ready for shipment.

but unsure if one tank design would work for a for short/standard and long bed 1500 (gas or diesel) 

• Like 1

I’ve gotten in contact with the brown Davis tank and they stated they are unsure if it would fit on the us models, not to sure what they ment by that as I think all the aus models are imported and converted to right hand drive

The mindset for these car companies is less fuel = less weight = higher MPG # on the window sticker, it's really all they care about these days.    Now that sounds insane, but there's a video out there from the head guy talking about the 2022 Tundra, that used to have the largest fuel tank 38gal.  He was saying their goal was they wanted someone to be able to drive 4 hours towing max weight.  Because they went to the new hybrid, it got better mileage, so they shrank the gas tank 6 gallons so you could still drive 4 hours, and the reason they did it was to save fuel weight and increase gas mileage. 

Think about that a bit,  a "truck" designer, heck a whole team of them, felt it was better to get rid of ~50lbs of fuel weight on a 5500lb truck, for the MPG increase, than give the driver 20% more driving range. 

The level to which these car companies will go to gain tiny MPG amounts even on trucks, is insane.  It's why we have a 24gal fuel tank in a truck that gets 8mpg towing. It's why engines are eating lifters with DFM, it's why the front valance can barely clear a curb, and it's why the autostop comes on every time you start the truck and who knows how many other things. 

• Like 1