Larger Fuel Tank?

One thing I wanted GM to do badly was add a LARGER fuel tank with the new trucks.  Somehow they ended up making them even smaller.  24 gallons... really?  In years past, I've not seen any aftermarket fuel tanks for GM half ton trucks that were larger.  They do offer larger ones for the Diesel trucks though.

Ford you can get 36 gallon tanks, and Ram 33 gallon tanks.  That is a huge difference.  This is one huge reason that I am hesitant to buy one of the new trucks.  Does anyone know if there is a larger fuel tank option in the makes from GM?  I shouldn't have to shop the aftermarket for something like that when it could be a factory GM option.  

The HD trucks have bigger fuel tanks and I think the only 1500 with bigger tank is long bed regular cab.   It’s been that way forever with GM I believe.

I imagine even with Ford it’s hard to find trucks on dealer lots with the bigger half ton tank.  I looked forever for a Tundra with the bigger tank and it’s a crapshoot.   Sort of like trying to find a Chevy 1500 crew cab with a standard sized bed!

just letting you know it’s not easy, but certainly a guarantee when you move up to the HD line

• Like 1

Yeah, it sucks, but there's just not that much room for more tank under the CC.

On the plus side, my current truck gets the same amount of miles out of 24 gallons that my old truck got out of 30 gallons!

• Like 1

Plenty of room on the passenger side to add a second or saddle tank...  even if its not a full size but add another 15 + gal

Just looked under my double cab and there is an easy 15" of usable space in front of the current tank just vacant... Yes it crosses the cab / bed plane but its all the same frame... 

Edited by NHAT4

The competition has a huge edge over GM in this category.  I don't know what they were thinking, trying to get a best in class tow rating, with the smallest fuel tank in the class. 

Not too many people want to tow 13,000 lb with a half ton truck, and not too many people want to stop for gas at every station they pass when towing their travel trailer. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

The competition has a huge edge over GM in this category.  I don't know what they were thinking, trying to get a best in class tow rating, with the smallest fuel tank in the class. 

Not too many people want to tow 13,000 lb with a half ton truck, and not too many people want to stop for gas at every station they pass when towing their travel trailer. 

I know what you are saying. But if you are really towing something and getting 10 mpg, you can still make it over 200 miles, that's about 3 hours on the interstate. So you can pass a few stations. I for one enjoy stretching my legs and hitting the john about every 3 hours anyway.

There are ways to add auxiliary tanks if you really want to. For those that serious about towing large, heavy TT's, the HD trucks are probably a much better looking option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

I know what you are saying. But if you are really towing something and getting 10 mpg, you can still make it over 200 miles, that's about 3 hours on the interstate. So you can pass a few stations. I for one enjoy stretching my legs and hitting the john about every 3 hours anyway.

There are ways to add auxiliary tanks if you really want to. For those that serious about towing large, heavy TT's, the HD trucks are probably a much better looking option.

In rural areas, fuel stations can be very far apart.  Also, if you do any driving late at night, stations that do actually exist, are closed anyway.  For those more extreme situations, some extra fuel cans in the bed can get you trough, but it's just nicer to not have to pack 'em. 

• Like 4

With a 24 gallon tank towing and averaging 15 mpg that will get you 360 miles or approximately 5.14 hours of drive time at 70 mph. I don't know about you, but somewhere during that 5 hours you will surely pass a station that is open. Not to mention most people need to stretch and hit the bathroom. If nothing else other than for safety or from the fatigue of driving for long periods of time.

• 4 months later...

This is ridiculous. Some of you are justifying the 24 gallon tank and that total bs. Driving west from mn with a sled deck alone will make the drive painful. There needs to ba at least another 4-5 gallons minimum. Preferably a 30 gallon tank with the “max trailer package”.  I was litterally going to buy a new LTZ. Tomorrow but will not if I can’t find a solution. Complete hors#@t GM! 

Yeah.  I just did a road trip today for Thanksgiving.  5.5 Hours straight thru on 95 South from PA to NC averaging 72 MPH, I got 396 miles out of the tank before I hit the station.  The low fuel light came on with 60 miles left on the tank, about 15 minutes before I stopped.  I put 22.5 gallons back in it.  Not bad 17.6MPG. 

If I was pulling a trailer, I would have had to stop at least once to make it that far, justifying the need for a larger fuel tank option in my opinion.  

• 10 months later...

I too am looking for a bigger tank or aux tank I can replace/add to my 2019 Silverado.  Someone said 15 mpg towing a travel trailer, I almost croaked.  I just returned from a round trip to Cali from south Texas and the BEST I got towing a 5000 lb travel trailer was 10.5 mpg on flat road with no wind.  For the entire trip I averaged 9 mpg, 90% at 60-65 mph.  On last leg coming home with a 10-12 mph headwind I got 7.7 mpg at 65-70 mph.   I have a wind deflector on the cab of the truck too!  For now I carry 5 gals on a carrier behind my trailer, just in case but it is a real pain getting it into the tank due to the flap at the inlet.

Would be nice if there was an option. I mean there is extra space as they made gas crew cabs have the same layout as diesels with a def tank. My 2019 ram had a 124 litre tank.  Was able to get 1100kms of range. Took my truck on a long trip to the next province over to do a track day with my motorbike. The gas prices in the other province are through the roof so i had to top up at the provincial border and bring a 25L, 20L and 10L jerry can with me (10L was for the bike) to avoid filling up in that province. A larger tank would avoid that hassle. 

Edited by Snakes709