Larger Fuel Tank?

On 4/13/2022 at 10:57 PM, todd308 said:

The mindset for these car companies is less fuel = less weight = higher MPG # on the window sticker, it's really all they care about these days.   

The level to which these car companies will go to gain tiny MPG amounts even on trucks, is insane.  

They are forced to do it because of CAFE standards.  Maybe we should elect people that will discard these stupid laws.

Something else to consider, it costs fuel to carry fuel.  I don't know how much but I wouldn't mind carrying around more fuel either, my 31 gallon tank seems small sometimes!   The Sierra's tiny 26 gallon tank, that truck gets filled every 2-3 days.

On 4/20/2022 at 3:29 AM, swathdiver said:

They are forced to do it because of CAFE standards.  Maybe we should elect people that will discard these stupid laws.

Something else to consider, it costs fuel to carry fuel.  I don't know how much but I wouldn't mind carrying around more fuel either, my 31 gallon tank seems small sometimes!   The Sierra's tiny 26 gallon tank, that truck gets filled every 2-3 days.

I don't disagree it's certainly the CAFE standards that drive striving for fuel efficiency for manufacturers.  That said Ford (36gal) , Ram (33gal) , Toyota (32.5 gal) all figured out a way to get more than 24 gallons in their vehicles, even if it's only as an option.   Last I checked they all have to deal with the same standards.  For GM this simply reeks of cutting corners to save cost. 

Edited by todd308
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I used to routinely add Transflow replacement tanks for my Silverado HD diesel crew cabs - they had a large capacity. For some reason Transflow no longer has replacement increased capacity tanks for the latest Silverado editions. Don't know why. Don't know anyone else who makes a quality underbody auxiliary or replacement tank.

• 8 months later...

I have a gas powered 1500 Sierra 1500 short bed.  The tank size sucks for someone driving mostly city miles so it goes fast.  Truck before this was electric ( a lemon so it is gone ) and the previous one was a Ford with the massive 34 gallon tank.  I don't see a gas larger option.  I don't want a tank in the bed.  I saw a secondary spout spot behind the fill door - didn't know if a secondary tank was an option.  There is an option for a larger diesel (after market) is the underneath that different?

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 9:49 AM, aseibel said:

I know what you are saying. But if you are really towing something and getting 10 mpg, you can still make it over 200 miles, that's about 3 hours on the interstate. So you can pass a few stations. I for one enjoy stretching my legs and hitting the john about every 3 hours anyway.

There are ways to add auxiliary tanks if you really want to. For those that serious about towing large, heavy TT's, the HD trucks are probably a much better looking option.

***my reasoning for wanting a bigger tank for long trips is for ethanol free 91 octane... not easy to find- this is the recommended fuel for the dealer installed magnuson supercharger *** 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heffneil said:

I have a gas powered 1500 Sierra 1500 short bed.  The tank size sucks for someone driving mostly city miles so it goes fast.  Truck before this was electric ( a lemon so it is gone ) and the previous one was a Ford with the massive 34 gallon tank.  I don't see a gas larger option.  I don't want a tank in the bed.  I saw a secondary spout spot behind the fill door - didn't know if a secondary tank was an option.  There is an option for a larger diesel (after market) is the underneath that different?

That secondary spout spot behind the filler door is for if you have a Diesel that is where the DEF fluid fill spout for the DEF tank would go. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 5:34 AM, heffneil said:

That's not a secondary spout for fuel.  If you had the 3.0 Duramax it's where you pour in the DEF.

• Sad 1

I believe the vehicle/manufacturing CARB/EPA rules/regulations make it much harder to produce an aftermarket replacement primary gasoline tank compared to diesel requiring a lot more certifications/testing.   That's why you see lots of aftermarket options for diesel, but basically nothing for gas unless it's an auxiliary tank.  No idea why, perhaps it's because gasoline is more flammable/explosive etc.   You can of course use external auxiliary tanks to transfer gasoline from into your vehicle, they just can't directly feed the vehicle, again no idea why they differentiate, but they do.   I think Transfer Flow just recently did a 58 gal gas tank for some of the big Ford Super Duty Gas pickups, evidently the first of it's kind to be approved, but it took almost 3 years, and I believe the cost of just the tank is pushing $3k.   Maybe it paves the way for more options, but at $3k how many 1/2 ton guys are going to drop that for 30-34 gallon option.   That's probably my entire fuel cost for a year,  but if it's your work truck or you do a ton of towing, overlanding I could see where it might be worth it.  GM should just pull their heads out and offer a larger tank option.

There's plenty of room under the truck for a larger tank, 30+gal should be easy.  The room from the Def tank alone is over 5 gallons. 

2 hours ago, todd308 said:

I believe the vehicle/manufacturing CARB/EPA rules/regulations make it much harder to produce an aftermarket replacement primary gasoline tank compared to diesel requiring a lot more certifications/testing.   That's why you see lots of aftermarket options for diesel, but basically nothing for gas unless it's an auxiliary tank.  No idea why, perhaps it's because gasoline is more flammable/explosive etc.   You can of course use external auxiliary tanks to transfer gasoline from into your vehicle, they just can't directly feed the vehicle, again no idea why they differentiate, but they do.   I think Transfer Flow just recently did a 58 gal gas tank for some of the big Ford Super Duty Gas pickups, evidently the first of it's kind to be approved, but it took almost 3 years, and I believe the cost of just the tank is pushing $3k.   Maybe it paves the way for more options, but at $3k how many 1/2 ton guys are going to drop that for 30-34 gallon option.   That's probably my entire fuel cost for a year,  but if it's your work truck or you do a ton of towing, overlanding I could see where it might be worth it.  GM should just pull their heads out and offer a larger tank option.

There's plenty of room under the truck for a larger tank, 30+gal should be easy.  The room from the Def tank alone is over 5 gallons. 

28 gallon diesel + 5 gallon DEF = more than 33 gallons for a gas tank. 

Love my in bed tank. Have no issues towing and filling up every 3 hours, my back and legs enjoy the break. My peace of mind knowing I'm good for ~1500 kms towing or 2500 empty is great so there's no fuel station anxiety on trip. Can now stay in the back country for a week of hunting etc. And...it's basically a yeti cooler that I cable lock/strap down in two seconds so it goes with me to the next truck, drive whatever brand I want and no modifications dollars lost when you switch vehicles. I have 215 liters in my cooler.

Little hand held d-cell battery powered fuel pump you can use for fuelling from 5 gallon gerry cans, and or, shaker style syphon tube to fill up from it. I have both on the truck. The little hand held electric works as a syphon as well and has a nozzle like a gas station nozzle so the trigger stops flow when you let go, then drain back into your big tank and I keep that in an archery arrow case from Plano I think. Much better than built in fuel tanks you lose when you sell truck and also not into the larger fuel pumps with cables you run to battery terminals or any exterior wiring. This is like having a 215 liter gerry can, super simple, can put it in any truck in a quick minute.

Edited by 4banger

On 3/28/2023 at 10:03 AM, 4banger said:

Love my in bed tank. Have no issues towing and filling up every 3 hours, my back and legs enjoy the break. My peace of mind knowing I'm good for ~1500 kms towing or 2500 empty is great so there's no fuel station anxiety on trip. Can now stay in the back country for a week of hunting etc. And...it's basically a yeti cooler that I cable lock/strap down in two seconds so it goes with me to the next truck, drive whatever brand I want and no modifications dollars lost when you switch vehicles. I have 215 liters in my cooler.

Little hand held d-cell battery powered fuel pump you can use for fuelling from 5 gallon gerry cans, and or, shaker style syphon tube to fill up from it. I have both on the truck. The little hand held electric works as a syphon as well and has a nozzle like a gas station nozzle so the trigger stops flow when you let go, then drain back into your big tank and I keep that in an archery arrow case from Plano I think. Much better than built in fuel tanks you lose when you sell truck and also not into the larger fuel pumps with cables you run to battery terminals or any exterior wiring. This is like having a 215 liter gerry can, super simple, can put it in any truck in a quick minute.

Do you have some photos of your aux tank and fuel pump?   I'm in Alberta as well (Edmonton).  Thanx.