Help! Door knob/latch...?

I've spent the last 30 minutes and I'm fed up with trying to figure this out. This morning I get up to change the window regulator in my truck (I'm no mechanic, just a diy guy). Finally get everything installed and dealing with the pain of popping pins back into clips and I realize the door knob/latch/whatever the f its called popped out and is laying on the ground instead of hanging in the actuator for it. I looked at the end and I assumed it did not snap off because the ends still look machined and uniformed. I tried wiggling it around in the actuator before giving up on getting that "feeling" that its secured. Put the door back on and the door locks of course but the knob moves slightly down (no more than 1 cm) but does not retract into the door. Any ideas? Wanna try to get my bearings straight on figuring it out before I go popping the door panel off again. Also if anyone has a link to the part for the clips on the raceway/trim underneath the power window/power lock control unit that would be great. Lost a couple of them and it doesn't want to sit right inside the door.