Transmission Temps - how hot is too hot?

Grumpy Bear,

I'm going to ask if I can do that bypass during the replacement (and stock cooler omit) as long as it doesn't effect the warranty.

If they shay away from that, then its their dime, if it goes south. Heck, I see this replacement as a challenge to work that transmission now ?

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 2:59 PM, migizi said:

Well the jury has convened and its bad news.

How many miles on the truck?  You said the fluid had 60K on it, but not total mileage and how many times the fluid had been changed.  Just curious to know.  I read that many 6L80s give up the ghost around 160K while others go on forever.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 2:21 PM, swathdiver said:

... and how many times the fluid had been changed...

Sorry swath diver, I didn't see this part of the question until now...

To answer that question, I purchased this Suburban with roughly 72k miles and had ALL the fluids serviced that same week (except wiper and blinker). I have not had the transmission fluid serviced since then. I cannot confirm, but I sincerely doubt the previous owner had the transmission fluid serviced in the first 70k.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:10 AM, migizi said:

Grumpy Bear,

I'm going to ask if I can do that bypass during the replacement (and stock cooler omit) as long as it doesn't effect the warranty.

If they shay away from that, then its their dime, if it goes south. Heck, I see this replacement as a challenge to work that transmission now ?

Your not thinking of running no cooler are you? Bypass is as simple as flipping the 'pill' in the stock thermostat upside down. 

17 minutes ago, migizi said:

To answer that question, I purchased this Suburban with roughly 72k miles and had ALL the fluids serviced that same week (except wiper and blinker). I have not had the transmission fluid serviced since then. I cannot confirm, but I sincerely doubt the previous owner had the transmission fluid serviced in the first 70k.

So....what did you learn from this experience? 

by cooler omit - I meant just using the add on cooler in front of the Engine Radiator and omiting the stock trans cooler 

what did I learn? I should have left it alone and drove it into the ground - it would have been cheeper. 

seriously though, the trans missed a service 30k ago,  (change, not flush)  and this one should have been a change and not flush as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did the "flip the pill" mod a few weeks back and my temps dropped to about 146* average on a 90* day with the AC on. It is very simple to do and you can reverse it back if you want to but I bet you will love the low temps and wish you had done it sooner.

I know this is a transmission thread. The first thing I would have considered was the gear ratio. 342 is the sweet spot for pulling with the six speed. Some would say 373. Depending on how often you pull the camper you transmission life isn’t all that unusual. That also depends on where you pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have left it alone and drove it into the ground - it would have been cheeper. 

I'm not bashing you, trying to help from my experience.

Disagree with this thinking.

IMO

If you do your own maintenance to save money or if you paid to have it done  you might not be in this situation.

When you got it had trans filter done with fluid replaced. About $200 $225 I think at Jiffy lube.

Filter and fluid every 25 K miles. 

You would have had 3 services on this trans for lets say $700 if you had them done. I believe the trans would still be good.

I buy used vehicles only. I do regular transmissions services and mine last over 200 K miles.

:)

9 hours ago, migizi said:

Did they tell you EXACTLY what failed?  Saying the transmission is bad or the torque converter is bad is no different than saying the engine is bad and in need of total replacement when it might be just a particular component and not the whole thing.  

Forgive me if this has been stated, was the previous work done at a GM dealership?

3 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Did they tell you EXACTLY what failed?  Saying the transmission is bad or the torque converter is bad is no different than saying the engine is bad and in need of total replacement when it might be just a particular component and not the whole thing.  

Forgive me if this has been stated, was the previous work done at a GM dealership?

All work has beeb done at a GM Dealership and as far as what failed, they said it was the torque converter.

5 hours ago, diyer2 said:

...If you do your own maintenance to save money or if you paid to have it done  you might not be in this situation...

huh?

5 hours ago, diyer2 said:

When you got it had trans filter done with fluid replaced. About $200 $225 I think at Jiffy lube.

Filter and fluid every 25 K miles. 

You would have had 3 services on this trans for lets say $700 if you had them done. I believe the trans would still be good.

I buy used vehicles only. I do regular transmissions services and mine last over 200 K miles.

I know I should have had another service done in the middle there, but it dod not.  Im usually better about my maintenance scheduling. My Last Suburban had 285k miles when I traded it on and no trans issues, so I agree good maintenance helps.

BUT...

~~~Jiffy Lube???? - sorry, I almost threw up in my mouth~~~

7 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I know this is a transmission thread. The first thing I would have considered was the gear ratio. 342 is the sweet spot for pulling with the six speed. Some would say 373. Depending on how often you pull the camper you transmission life isn’t all that unusual. That also depends on where you pull.

Yes, we all agree that 3.08 is not the optimal choice for towing and there are better options, but frustrating as it may be, this is what I was dealt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, migizi said:

...as far as what failed, they said it was the torque converter.

There are many parts to a torque converter.  I just curious as to exactly what failed and how that precipitated an entire transmission rebuild.  

I've had front pumps fail and just replaced parts in them to get back up and running.  Had clutches and sprags let go in torque converters and had them fixed and or replaced.  Had input clutch pistons go bang and replaced them too without replacing good parts with new parts before.  I've got a 4T65E with a busted forward apply band ($43) but no way to get the transmission out of the van as I'm too weak to do the work anymore.  Get the tranny on my work bench, that I can handle!  

Anyhow, I'm at 144K on my Yukon XL and have almost 950 hours and 27K miles since changing the transmission fluid.  What interval are you guys running, Grumpy?

While I understand your dislike of Jiffy Lube the person doing the work is the key not the company name.

I have done a lot of wrenching over the years without a mechanics education.

I mentioned Jiffy Lube because they are nation wide, prices aren't outrageous. 

• Like 1