How to leave truck running without it shutting off

I have a 2019 AT4 like all the new GM Trucks with a fob instead of a key after about 10 minutes of running it shuts itself off. This is by design due to people driving  other GM’s home and parking in the garage and leaving the car running by accident. GM did this to all the fob vehicles. I have a service dog, I don’t always want the hassle with people of taking him in places so I need to leave him in the truck with the AC on. If you take the fob with you you get about 10 minutes before it shuts down. If you leave the fob in the truck it will continue to run for about an hour, which is more than I ever need. I would rather not leave the fob in the car even though I can lock it with the remote but not the door buttons, even if I didn’t my 80 lb dog would scare most people off. I have been told that this can be disabled with the Tech II but I needed more info before going to ask the dealer, I don’t expect them to know how to do it. (By the way I don’t have a garage so no safety issue there).

It does not work very well it shuts down after 10 minutes too no matter what they sayI have tried it. It will restart if I remember or am close enough like not in the back of a grocery store. I don’t want to screw around with remote start, I want to be able to leave my truck running If I want to. I did it all the time with my 2014. I know the solution hoping someone has an idea on the settings in the Tech II.

You can get 15 minutes each time but not 30 minutes, it will shut off after 15 and you need to restart. I’d contact a company like Viper, you can program their remote starts to run longer and they also have a fob that you can see that your truck is running. 

Just my.02

I have the same issue. Leaving dog in the car with out the AC running is not a good thing. My old tech 2001 wasn't a problem but the new ones that shut off every (10 minutes on a 2015 Buick) is an issue.

Got to be some work around as police K9 units need them to keep running.

Would be nice to hear of something that can be done.

Also didn't know if you left fob in car that it would run longer. Good info.

A buddy of mine just showed me a trick the other day. If you repeat the remote start procedure within 30 seconds you will get 2 start cycles without it shutting off. It should give you 30 minutes of run time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, BringTheRain403 said:

I've tested mine several times. I get 15 minutes from each remote start. Do you use the OnStar app? You can remote start from anywhere with a data connection.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You are correct, but why should I have to turn off my truck get out and use remote start that’s stupid. I don’t want a work around I want a fix. I just leave my second fob in the truck that’s a work around and it works for an hour.

19 hours ago, eppieguy said:

You can get 15 minutes each time but not 30 minutes, it will shut off after 15 and you need to restart. I’d contact a company like Viper, you can program their remote starts to run longer and they also have a fob that you can see that your truck is running. 

Just my.02

Not sure how it would work on our trucks with the fob but I know police units used to have a switch they could flip, turn the key to off, pull the key and get out and it would keep the unit running indefinitely. Might call around to some shops that work on emergency vehicles. 

If your looking for a solution through factory GM hardware I'm sorry but your probably not going to find it. I haven't tried it but I do not think the truck will lock with a fob still inside. 

GM sells a wireless keypad to lock and unlock the truck. Its 125 bucks and has 2 way tape on the back.

Mount it inside the fuel door- too bulky to stick on a door. Lock truck with fab inside.. use keypad to unlock when coming back.

Outside of 3rd party work arounds, that would be the cleanest fix i can think of.

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/electronics/2019-silverado-1500-remote-keyless-entry-system-keypad-433-mhz/23473341-p-92300642.html

• 1 year later...

I had the same issue with my dog recently traveling cross country. We rented the 2021 suburban. We were told and it did work, to when you first start the vehicle to hold the start button till message came up on the DIC. cant remember what it said but something about auto shutoff disabled. I hit ok and that doubled the time to 30 minutes. We set the timer on our iPhones and would just come out of the restaurant to reset if needed. I dont have my new 2021 Sierra here to check but this did work on the suburban. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I have at Trail Boss Custom with Key.  I too would like to just press my remote start function on the key fob before I shut the vehicle off to keep the vehicle running instead of turning off then remote starting.  My last 2 vehicles were able to do this and it is great for just running into the store quick.  It is a function that has purpose.  I don't really need longer than 15 minutes.  Is there any way to do this or any hack to get this function?