Factory 5th wheel prep

4 hours ago, MrGraff said:

I did my hitch at the normal straight up position on the B&W, since the default positioning of the puck holes and gooseneck is adjusted to the rear by around 2 inches.  

That being said I just measured from center of jaws to inside of bed and then added the distance to the cab itself.  Jaws to inside of front of bed is 41 inches, add in distance to cab and your looking at around 44.5 to 45 inches due to the way the aerodynamic piece is on top of cab.  I guarantee I could "hit" my cab with my fifth wheel, but that would be a very tight turn and is usually never needed to turn that tight.  Previously I used a manual sliding Reese 20K hitch, had that hitch for the last 5 years and never once did I use the sliding feature.  

Please look at and confirm or correct  me. But looking at my 2020 oem puck configuration I can see the gooseneck ball placement is the 2 inches back but using the pucks placed my center of B&W puck non slider two inches ahead of it. I don’t believe they moved the pucks back like the ball. I will probably set my hitch in the back position but in normal position it is in front of ball. 

2 hours ago, dlockwood26 said:

Please look at and confirm or correct  me. But looking at my 2020 oem puck configuration I can see the gooseneck ball placement is the 2 inches back but using the pucks placed my center of B&W puck non slider two inches ahead of it. I don’t believe they moved the pucks back like the ball. I will probably set my hitch in the back position but in normal position it is in front of ball. 

The entire assembly was moved, so fifth wheel pucks and gooseneck were moved back slightly. My B&W center sits behind the axle and its in the straight up position.

Had a chance to use my Reese Goose Box on my 5er this weekend. Worked great with the factory puck system and I seemed to have a good clearance when turning or making maneuvers. Didn't push it to the limits in the turning area, but was close enough to do what I needed. I have the Reese 16k Goosebox and it performed well with my 14.5k 5er.

On 10/18/2019 at 6:37 PM, joelabq said:

I am about to order my 2020 Standard box truck (moving from a LBZ with an 8' box), and I was wondering if you could measure from the center of the jaws where the king pin sits to the cab of the truck? I think this would help many of us greatly with our respective setups to verify a slider is not required.  

Joel

Back window to ball center on my PullRite SuperLite is 47.25", which is about 2" ahead of the gooseneck ball hole.

Obviously I decided to not use a slider.

• Like 1

Im not necessarily concerned with where the pucks are in relation to the gooseneck, im concerned where the hitch is in relation to the axle.  In the straight up position at least on the B&W companion RVK3710 model, the hitch point is slightly rear of the axle.  Attached photos to sorta show, its very minimal probably less than 1.5 inches.

hitchplacement1.jpg

hitchplacement2.jpg

The kingpin mounts are relatively the same as before, the goose neck mount is 2" behind where it was in previous gen trucks. This was said to be due to the added bed length and also provided a better tow experience, since it is still centered over the bed. Someone stated it was designed this way as to spread evenly over the leafspings and axles for better weight distribution.

Has anyone found a sliding hitch to fit into the GMC 2020HD? I have a Pullrite superslide in my current 2015 2500HD and am getting the 2020HD this week. I did see that Pullrite show a new superslide for the 2020 HD as "coming soon". Anyone know the release date?

Has anyone found a sliding hitch to fit into the GMC 2020HD? I have a Pullrite superslide in my current 2015 2500HD and am getting the 2020HD this week. I did see that Pullrite show a new superslide for the 2020 HD as "coming soon". Anyone know the release date?

6 hours ago, MrGraff said:

Your better off just getting a rail adapter plate and using an older rail style hitch, essentially the samething but works with factory prep.

Something like this ….

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Demco/DM6206.html

Just an FYI... that particular rail adapter works with the 2019 and earlier configurations, not the new 2020 layout.

I chose not to go the Demco 6333 route as I was unsure if I would be able to adjust my pinbox height to compensate for the additional height from the rail adapter. I can only go up one more and my new truck is already taller. Not sure if that is a valid concern, but that was one decision point to try the B&W non-sliding.

2 hours ago, joelabq said:

I chose not to go the Demco 6333 route as I was unsure if I would be able to adjust my pinbox height to compensate for the additional height from the rail adapter. I can only go up one more and my new truck is already taller. Not sure if that is a valid concern, but that was one decision point to try the B&W non-sliding.

Generally speaking those adapters don't add any height over a normal rail kit install.  Pretty sure the ideal clearance is around 6 inches minimum, and the 2020 bed heights didn't change much.