Silverado RST Z71 Ride Quality Sucks

Pavement Princess! I've seen it on here before but nothing about solutions. My new Silverado Z71 feels like there is no suspension under it. Rough pavement/bumps/grade change at high speed.. it's all terrible. 

History:

07 Silverado Z71 with Bilstein 5100s all around

14 Ram Sport with front Bilstein 5100s

16 Ram Big Horn- Stock

18 Ram Night- Stock

Every other truck I've had was significantly better ride quality than my new Silverado.

I'm seriously considering Eibach Pro all around. I called last week and the ride height adjustable struts are set to ship mid August.

Anyone already make changes and felt improvement?

I'm in the same boat but I didn't care much about ride quality. It's the handling I'm having issues with since I drive on dirt road every day and it handles much worse, especially on dry dirt.

The Rams are unquestionably going to ride better, I’d love a set of Filthy Motorsport spec king shocks one day, they can custom valve shocks for street or off-road applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, nicksoco831 said:

The Rams are unquestionably going to ride better, I’d love a set of Filthy Motorsport spec king shocks one day, they can custom valve shocks for street or off-road applications.

I understand the rear leaf suspension difference I just didn't think it would be THIS different if that makes sense. Hoping new shocks and struts will prove worth it. Was wondering if I was missing possible other solutions.

15 minutes ago, KEB said:

I understand the rear leaf suspension difference I just didn't think it would be THIS different if that makes sense. Hoping new shocks and struts will prove worth it. Was wondering if I was missing possible other solutions.

How many miles do you have on her so far?

Also, seems like a lot may have changed after your test drive?

Honestly, with mine, if anything ride quality has gotten better since my test drive. 

Everyone that's rode in mine has loved it.

Mine is an LT Z71

I also believe a man can get a lemon too.

I hope you get her sorted out. 

Edited by MacLaren

Test rode one and I agree the '19 Silverado RST Z71 is a rough ride, and its no pavement princess either. Learned my lesson on my '16 Silverado Z71 which rode like crap on any surface......Bielstein makes good shocks, but not that bottom line garbage they stuck on my '16 and I was tired of prying rocks and pebbles out of the sipes of its Duelers.

That's why on my '19 Silverado RST I pi$$ed away another $2995 for the ride on the '22 Bridgestone Alenzas. Smooth, quiet and responsive..... in sport mode handling is incredible.

I also don’t have a Z71 so I don’t have the rancho shocks, and I have 18 inch wheels which helps. It might be worth playing around with the rear tire pressure and lowering it 2-3 psi for unloaded rides.

Play around with tire pressure a bit. It’s easy to have them over inflated in the summer heat.

Otherwise I think just about everyone here is waiting for Bilsteins. I feel like my 16 rode better than my 19, but both are better than my 07 Z71. That thing would bounce your fillings out and you could feel and see the whole structure wallowing around. The weight reduction on these new trucks is apparent in the ride. Your old Ram was not only on coils but could have been damn near 1000 pounds heavier.

Changing shocks on a vehicle will not void a warranty. Unless that is the part that caused the warranty claim.

I hope GM continues to read posts on this forum. They need to know how bad the ride quality is in these vehicles. I am in no way happy with how my 19 RST non Z71 rides and handles the road. It is sometimes dangerous the way the vehicle reacts to imperfections in the road surface. I have been monitoring my tire pressure, dropping it to 35 psi did make for a better, little less rough ride. It is not the solution. The Dealerships do need to stop sending trucks out with over 40 psi. That is stupid on their part.

• Like 1

Yep, another RST Z71 owner here awaiting the Bilstein option. 

Mine rides better with 3K now, but it’s still not good enough for a new truck, IMO. The handling is excellent, but the Ranchos are legitimately terrible shocks. 

12 minutes ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

I honestly don't think the ride is that bad and I have a trail boss with very knobby tires.

I came from a newer 4runner and the ride quality is about the same honestly and I'm very picky on ride quality. 

Your TB Z71 Ranchos are monotube, whereas the non TB Z71 are twin tube shocks. Monotubes perform better. 

Also, your 18” wheels and Duratracs will ride more softly than the 20’s on the RST. 

24 minutes ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

I honestly don't think the ride is that bad and I have a trail boss with very knobby tires.

I came from a newer 4runner and the ride quality is about the same honestly and I'm very picky on ride quality. 

You have a different suspension from the RST. Here is your system break down as listed from GM Authority. 

The defining feature of the 2019 Silverado Trail Boss equipment group is the Z7X Suspension Package. Standard on the two Trail Boss models – the Trail Boss Custom and Trail Boss LT – the Z7X package is assigned RPO Code Z7X, and includes the following features:

• Off-road suspension
  • 2-inch suspension lift and monotube shocks
  • Hill Descent Control (JHD)
  • Z82 Trailering Package
  • Eaton rear locking differential (G80)
  • Autotrac 2-speed electronic transfer case
  • Skid plates (NZZ)
  • High-capacity air filter (K47)
  • Z71 hard badge
  • High gloss black painted aluminum wheels sized 18″ x 8.5″
  • Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires

The RST does not get that package even with the Z71 option selected. 

Edited by bullet3z

It's strange to me the amount of posts on this website about how terrible and unbearable the ride is.  Of course Chevy isn't going to "read all these posts" and change things, because you all still test drove and purchased the truck.  Why would they care after that?

Anyways, the dealer had my truck and many others are very high tire pressures.  It sounds like most of you checked that already, but I have mine at 35 and it's good enough for me, being a truck and all.  It's a rougher ride than the F150s and Rams I've had previously, but I knew that going into this and I was okay with it.

Edited by SqueakyBoot