My search for the best Mother effin Hitch so we can avoid Tailgate damage

As i'm sure you guys are aware of, if you swing down that Tailgate all the way, your going to nail your hitch.

Had high hopes for the B&W Tow and Stow model.  Its a good $260-300 depending on drop.

Unfortunately, even with the hitch reversed and "stowed", the tail gate slams into the back.  No paint damage, the plastic shroud that houses the back-up lense and buttons hit.

not sure if anyone else had any luck

Haven't tried it but seems to me if they had moved the receiver part parallel with the body it would have fixed this problem. Yeah, it would be harder to remove or install the hitch but if it's not in the way you don't have to remove it.

why can't you take the hitch out when its not in use?

Or if you use the hitch daily, just don't drop the inner step on the tailgate. Step on the tongue of the trailer that is attached. You shouldn't need to use both the trailer hitch and tailgate step at the same time.

• Like 4

This is a sharp looking hitch.  The adjustability is handy for when towing different trailers.  I currently switch between two trailers.  It would be three but I recently sold my box trailer.  I have a receiver for each trailer and remove the receiver as part of the routine of disconnecting the trailer.  

Just remove the receiver when you want to fold the gate all the way down. There probably will not be a lower profile design than the one you have. Also, double check your owner's manual... 

gate.JPG

Edited by Jglew82

41 minutes ago, newdude said:

Take the hitch out.  Problem solved.  Many states its technically illegal to leave it in the receiver anyway. 

Not to mention, if you live in the snow belt, leaving the hitch in all year is the fastest way to make the tubes rust together. 

“Just Take the hitch out”

I’m a talking to the dealer?  Obviously, I’m trying to find a solution to keep the hitch in place, and still have function of the fat man ramp.  Maybe I was not clear.  

B&W hitches are powder coated and have stainless steel pins.  It does not rust, I have 3 of these and run year round in northern UP.

I’ll keep researching and update folks that are interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Take the hitch out.  Problem solved.  Many states its technically illegal to leave it in the receiver anyway. 

That solves nothing, that creates an added step, an inconvenience, you must not tow much?

Edited by PabloK

23 minutes ago, PabloK said:

That solves nothing, that creates an added step, an inconvenience, you must not tow much?

Actually it does solve the problem with the receiver hitting your tailgate.  I agree it will take longer and be a PIA to do so, but it does solve your problem.

• Like 1

Isn't flipping the ball around on your hitch also "creating an added step?" To me it would be faster to remove and install it when you need to fold the gate down, but that's just what I would do - we remove and reinstall hitch stingers all day long at work with Tommy Gates and it's not a big deal. 

Sorry if you aren't satisfied with mine and the other member's responses, but due to design constraints, there isn't really much that can be done to give you what you are looking for without extensive modifications of the frame mounted hitch assembly or the tailgate. If you do find a solution, I'm sure others would love to hear it.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PabloK said:

I tow quite often.  I never feel inconvenienced and its added safety for my hitches. 

• Like 3

Isn't flipping the ball around on your hitch also "creating an added step?" To me it would be faster to remove and install it when you need to fold the gate down, but that's just what I would do - we remove and reinstall hitch stingers all day long at work with Tommy Gates and it's not a big deal. 

Sorry if you aren't satisfied with mine and the other member's responses, but due to design constraints, there isn't really much that can be done to give you what you are looking for without extensive modifications of the frame mounted hitch assembly or the tailgate. If you do find a solution, I'm sure others would love to hear it.

That’s why I’m on here.

To share; learn, optimize the truck to my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1