Five of the Top-Ten Most Driven Vehicles Are From GM - Can You Guess Why?

Gorehamj

2019-Chevrolet-Suburban-RST-001.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-31-2019

A new study by our friends at iSeeCars.com lists out the most driven vehicles in the U.S. market. Five of the top ten are built by GM. The list includes the Suburban at number one, the Yukon XL at number two, Tahoe at number five, the Yukon at 7, and the Cadillac Escalade ESV at number ten. All exceed the annual average of just under 12,000 miles by a substantial percentage. With 14,862 miles per year, the Suburban is 4% higher than average. 

iseecars most driven.jpg

“Full-size SUVs are built on truck platforms so they have the durability of a truck and the cargo space for up to eight passengers, which makes them popular family vehicles,” said iSeeCars.com CEO Phong Ly. He went on to add, “The vehicles with the highest annual mileage tend to also be the vehicles that last the longest. People who drive their cars the most are likely to prolong the lives of their vehicles with regular service and maintenance because these vehicles may be a large part of their livelihood, and in the case of large SUVs, they are expensive to replace.”

We think Mr. Ly nails it win his last statement. Our suspicion is that the full-size SUVs from GM are being driven in large part by ride-share services such as Uber, Lyft and private livery companies making airport runs. Why do you think the GM vehicles top this list? 

Family trips. When I was young my family purchased a Suburban because we had a long road trip planned, we owned 3 burbs before my brothers and I were off to school. Then my mother started to buy smaller vehicles, still likes the SUV style, she's in a Buick Enclave right now, dad always had Ford trucks. We would make trips to see family in Alberta, go down south Skiing in Minnesota, and a tour through the northern US. If I am not mistaken, the Suburban is the longest running nameplate in North America, take 4 boys and their hockey equipment to tournaments in neighboring cities. They are vacation rigs, which is why you see so many miles put on them. More to do with families than Uber drivers one would think. 

• Like 1

Of the vehicle styles out there the suburban is the ultimate highway travel vehicle.  Relatively easy to park, good visibility,  able to tow/haul with ease, and can fit a family comfortably.

My wife had had a honda CRV and honda civic.  When it was just the two of us we always preferred to drive my ext cab silverado because it was just a much better driving experience on the highway.

I will say tho back in the 80s and 90s I loved cross country trips in our ford e150 vans :)  The space and bucket seats were so comfy and you (well cant do this anymore) could lay the back bench seat flat as a big play and lounge space while driving.    I dont see those types of vehs being made so widely anymore tho

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:46 AM, Gorehamj said:

Why do you think the GM vehicles top this list? 

This isn't the era of the 'baby boomers' so the need for eight passenger seating for a family of three or four doesn't wash. I think the reason they top the list is that a good old fashion Caddy 62 is no longer available. AND people just love to flaunt.

"The showy display of ones means of life". 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2019 at 5:42 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

This isn't the era of the 'baby boomers' so the need for eight passenger seating for a family of three or four doesn't wash. I think the reason they top the list is that a good old fashion Caddy 62 is no longer available. AND people just love to flaunt.

"The showy display of ones means of life". 

But it IS the era of safety laws, and kids need to be in car seats until they are about 37 years old ... car seats take a LOT of room, and you honestly can no longer use a small sedan if you have two kids and need to really go anywhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rwagoner said:

But it IS the era of safety laws, and kids need to be in car seats until they are about 37 years old ... car seats take a LOT of room, and you honestly can no longer use a small sedan if you have two kids and need to really go anywhere.

No one can tell if you have several kids in the trunk, assuming it is suitably soundproofed.... ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, rwagoner said:

I raised six kids without a school bus sized SUV and have fourteen grandchildren. Dad raised five. A car seat takes no more room than an adult width wise and half that height wise. Rearward facing seat belted seats for three were part to the deal for nine passenger station wagons and the swing out tail gate was WAY easier than climbing back into the third row. Only a few hundred more than the equivalent sedan. I never paid $80K for a Olds Vista Cruiser or a Caprice Classic Wagon.

So now what's the reason?  

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

Who's who to say how many kids is enough?  Obviously, anything more than a couple is..........."The showy display of ones means of life".

For every 1 person you see driving that Suburban you have no idea what or how they use it!  The suburban transcends every walk of life and their purpose in life as to their lifestyle and needs.  As long as your sucking air on this spherical rock "Grumps" the suburban will sell without question as the NEEDS and DEMANDS will certainly be there.  Probably nothing more useful, safe and efficient to move cargo and people or RELIABLE than a GM SUBURBAN!  NUF SAID!

GM will only improve the SUBURBAN and all it's glory for generations to come.....and for those who worked their tails off in life!  Yeah, you guys/gals and you want to buy a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade to LOOK SHOWY?"  GO RIGHT AHEAD IT"S AMEREICA AND YOU WORKED FOR IT!

Sorry, ignorance get's me MAD!

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

Who's who to say how many kids is enough?  Obviously, anything more than a couple is..........."The showy display of ones means of life".

For every 1 person you see driving that Suburban you have no idea what or how they use it!  The suburban transcends every walk of life and their purpose in life as to their lifestyle and needs.  As long at your sucking air on this spherical rock "Grumps" the suburban will sell without question as the NEEDS and DEMANDS will certainly be there.  Probably nothing more useful, safe and efficient to move cargo and people or RELIABLE than a GM SUBURBAN!  NUF SAID!

GM will only improve the SUBURBAN and all it's glory for generations to come.....and for those who worked their tails off in life!  Yeah, you guys/gals and you want to buy a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade to LOOK SHOWY?"  GO RIGHT AHEAD IT"S AMEREICA AND YOU WORKED FOR IT!

Sorry, ignorance get's me MAD!

I said nothing about how many kids is enough. Don't really care how they use it. I'll bypass the long drivel of personal opinion.

Then there was this..." to LOOK SHOWY?"  GO RIGHT AHEAD IT"S AMEREICA AND YOU WORKED FOR IT"!

Ignorance gets me steamed up too so the kettle is on...….AND

32 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

For (only) 30K more than a full sized car.

? Now that's ignorance!   ?

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 10:46 AM, Gorehamj said:

Five of the Top-Ten Most Driven Vehicles Are From GM - Can You Guess Why?

Because they are in for repairs so often, that no matter the year model, they're always like brand new. ?

As a side note, the new emoji list is TERRIBLE. Takes an eternity to load, and they just don't look right to me. The one I used above I got off my iMac ... but was transformed into the new one.

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1