In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I’m really interested in hearing some reviews on this new engine. Read Newdudes review and it sounds like a great engine and trans even with the 6 speed. Would like to hear from new owners and get some opinions. 

And I wanted to be the first post in here, haHa. 

First reply! Lol

But same.... one of these will likely be my next truck.

Posted (edited)

I drove one the other day. It was a LT Silverado. I drive a 16 6.0 gmc sle now and I can say you can definitely feel the extra torque. How that will translate into towing I’m not sure but I could tell a difference. I also notice that the truck over all seemed much more fleshed out, or smoother. On the short drive I took, the transmission shifted extremely smooth and I couldn’t feel any driveline clunk like I get in mine sometimes. (That could be because it’s brand new.) I got on the highway and was doing 85 without realizing it (also no Chevy shake at all). I only drove about 25 miles so I didn’t really get a good sense of the mpg, plus the truck only had 5 miles on it when we left so mpg is probably not that great yet. Overall I was impressed by it. I really want to compare towing with my travel trailer, hoping the 6.6 will out perform my 6.0. I am optimistic and if they throw a 10 speed behind it I’ll trade the 6.0 in pretty quickly.

Edited by Pastusak.t
  • Like 2

Also interested in the difference between the 6 speed transmission and the 10 speed. The extra gears may or may not help out the gas engine, the diesels have a lot less rpm to deal with, so I can see them needing it. 

I’ve got one with about 600 miles on it.

Hard to compare it to our old 2001 extended cab 1500 minimum truck.

Thus thing is big and roomy compared to it.

taking a little getting used to all the fancy things it has but sure like the HUD and the trailering options.

Pulled our little 31’ trailer today and it didn’t feel it was back there.

Watching the mpg, it looks like it will be close to the 9.8mpg or a tad better than the 2001 did on level ground. This is an SLT 2500HD 2020 about a week old

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine39 said:

What type of trailer? How much does it weigh?

2 hours ago, ApertureX said:

What type of trailer? How much does it weigh?

It’s a travel trailer and only weighs about 6500

pounds.

19 hours ago, Sunshine39 said:

I’ve got one with about 600 miles on it.

Hard to compare it to our old 2001 extended cab 1500 minimum truck.

Thus thing is big and roomy compared to it.

taking a little getting used to all the fancy things it has but sure like the HUD and the trailering options.

Watching the mpg, it looks like it will be close to the 9.8mpg or a tad better than the 2001 did on level ground. This is an SLT 2500HD 2020 about a week old

Was that 9.8mpg towing your travel trailer? And at what speed do you normally tow if it was. I can get about 8 mpg towing 9000lbs doing about 60-63 mph in a 2016 6.0.  If you can get 9.8 at 70 that’d be a pretty decent boost in fuel economy.

9 hours ago, Pastusak.t said:

Was that 9.8mpg towing your travel trailer? And at what speed do you normally tow if it was. I can get about 8 mpg towing 9000lbs doing about 60-63 mph in a 2016 6.0.  If you can get 9.8 at 70 that’d be a pretty decent boost in fuel economy.

I usually tow around 60 or just a little above towing but about 2500 pounds lighter with my trailer. Haven’t tried any faster towing yet.

the old half ton didn’t too good going much faster 

Posted (edited)

Placed an order for one today at my local dealer. Gas engine, 2500 crew cab, 4X4, short  .   I was told 8-10 weeks until delivery.   We shall see.   I have owned diesels before, an 01 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins and a 16 Colorado with the 2.8 Duramax.   Just could not justify a $10 K Duramax option on the new Silverrado HD.   To be honest, I hear to many horror stories about the SCR and the particulate filter traps.    I teach Diesel Tech and Automotive so I have an understanding of what is happening.   Even doing the repairs myself the cost would be too high for me. 

Edited by Teach
  • Like 1

I also placed my order for a gas 2500 and was told 8 weeks for delivery. My 2019 half ton was not pulling my travel trailer as well as i hoped. The 6.2 never struggled but the suspension bounce and suction from 18 wheelers made me rethink my decision. The trailer is around 7000 lbs so i didn't feel the need to get a diesel for an extra 10k.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

We currently tow a Passort  153ml travel trailer which weighs in at about 3500 lbs so that swayed my decision on the 6.6 gasser.     Really don’t ever see myself towing anything heavier than 8,000 lbs

4 hours ago, Teach said:

Placed an order for one today at my local dealer. Gas engine, 2500 crew cab, 4X4, short  .   I was told 8-10 weeks until delivery.   We shall see.   I have owned diesels before, an 01 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins and a 16 Colorado with the 2.8 Duramax.   Just could not justify a $10 K Duramax option on the new Silverrado HD.   To be honest, I hear to many horror stories about the SCR and the particulate filter traps.    I teach Diesel Tech and Automotive so I have an understanding of what is happening.   Even doing the repairs myself the cost would be too high for me. 

What horror stories have you heard? I’ve had three, all flawless, maybe i’m Just a lucky one.  Nice part with the Dmax is the 100k warranty.  I should be getting my 20 with the Dmax next week.  I am intrigued by the new 6.6 gas tho, waiting for the 10spd  before i’d Be too interested...

Posted (edited)

DEF system failures mostly sensors, plugged up SCR and catalytic plugging.   Soot from EGR contamination wearing out bearings, seals and rings.   People not running them long enough, fast enough to keep the engine at operating temperature.    Have students working the industry who report these failures to me.       Bosch having issues with injector pumps and American diesel fuel on Duramax engines.     Don’t know if it is all true just reporting what I have heard.    Guess it is “buyer beware”.      All this emission equipment has to take some toll on the engine longevity.  I am a big believer in “By-pass” oil filtration and I do not run my trucks without one, more so with a diesel to filter out the carbon particulates from the engine oil.   The new truck will have one installed the first week I own it. 👍🏻🚚

Edited by Teach
Add more content

Actually, even a diesel would benefit from more gears.  The purpose of having more gears is to reduce the engine RPM spread between shifts.  That is why I have an 18 speed in my semi truck.   The top gear ratio of the 8 speed is similar to the 6 speed, and the 10 speed will be no different.  Just like my 18 speed in my semi truck has virtually the same top gear ratio as a 10 speed.  

But, given the track record of the 8 speed in the GM 1/2 tons, I would be more inclined to have the 6.6L gasser with the 6 speed.  Even if they decide to go with a 10 speed, I would sit it out for a minimum of 2 years before considering just so they can get all the bugs worked out.   I will be sitting out the 6.6L for at least 2 years for the same reason.  So if while I am sitting out the .6.6 waiting for all the potential problems to get worked out, if they then come out with the 10 speed behind it, that will add an additional 2 years.  I would have preferred they would have come out with both the L8T and the 10 speed at the same time.