2.5 to 3.0 HMI Upgrade

Hey guys,

Something very exciting to share with you. A lot of people have been interested on whether or not this 2.5-3.0 HMI retrofit would even be possible in our older generation of trucks. 

Well, I'm happy to say that the proof-of-concept is here for you to take a peek at :)

Like I mentioned in the video, there are still some kinks that we need to work out. Navigation is handled in a different way on the newer HMI than the previous version, and we're still testing access to other stock 2019+ vehicle applications (onstar availability, store compatibility, wifi hotspots etc.). But I'm happy to report that not only does it work on our test bench, but it also works in my 2014 (which I think is pretty sweet).

In regards to the new 3.0. Carplay and Android Auto are working as you'd expect, but they're faster and less buggy that with the old HMI's. the entire unit is just a nice face-lift and snappier to use all-around.Go test a 2019 Sierra and you'll see what I mean.

We are also working on some pretty fun unlocks and features for these units as well, so keep your eyes peeled. 

I'm hoping to be able to offer a full retrofit kit for the new 3.0's in the not-so-distant future. There are a few things that need to be sorted, harnesses to be made, etc. to facilitate a seamless upgrade experience, but we're getting closer and closer each day and I figured it was time to share a bit of our progress.

Please, if there's any questions you have post them below. I'll be happy to answer ?

Thanks again for reading/watching. Feel free to PM me about any of your vehicle update needs. 

*****Q&A*****

1. Does this require the HD screen? A - No. This was done on a 2014 SLE with the SD screen. However, we CAN retrofit an HD screen into the system.

2. Will we be able to provide unlocks for this generation of HMI like Video in Motion, Rear Camera in Motion, Boot Logos and more..? A - YES. We will post those upgrades and mods here as well as to their section on the T1XX area of the forum when they become available. (Hint hint, soon)

3. What hardware is required to complete this upgrade? A - Right now, there is a fair bit going on behind the scenes to make this work, and we're still not fully at 100% functionality. These units use new HD cameras, they connect to certain components differently and use some completely different components... All of this has to be taken into account when we make a retrofit kit. So while this isn't as simple as a 2.0-2.5 upgrade, we're working hard to make it as easy as a swap as possible.

Edited by th3magpi3
Q&A
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Great work.  Looks good.  
I have to say, I have owned a '14, '16, '17, and an '18 (my current dd).  I have never had any issues with the Infotainment system in any of them.  

I drove the 2019s back in August of last year at the Legends event.  The new HMI interface is very cool.  Worked very well.  A lot of the features don't seem to be nested so deep into the different menus.

All of that being said, I personally would not spend the kind of money it's going to take to retro the 3.0 into our trucks.  Parts alone are probably going to be $1k - $1.5k USD.  As I said, the work you have done is awesome.  I hope you find a decent market once you have the kinks worked out.

Edited by paracutin

14 minutes ago, paracutin said:

Great work.  Looks good.  
I have to say, I have owned a '14, '16, '17, and an '18 (my current dd).  I have never had any issues with the Infotainment system in any of them.  

I drove the 2019s back in August of last year at the Legends event.  The new HMI interface is very cool.  Worked very well.  A lot of the features don't seem to be nested so deep into the different menus.

All of that being said, I personally would not spend the kind of money it's going to take to retro the 3.0 into our trucks.  Parts alone are probably going to be $1k - $1.5k USD.  As I said, the work you have done is awesome.  I hope you find a decent market once you have the kinks worked out.

I’ve had issues with all of them.

mostly connectivity issues and switching sources on my phone.

it’s been the same issue in all of my loaners so if you didn’t have any you were probably just a basic user.

For someone that uses nothing but streaming music services and is constantly on the phone, the k2xx was an issue. Not the end of the world, but issues for sure existed on all of your trucks.

55 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

I’ve had issues with all of them.

mostly connectivity issues and switching sources on my phone.

it’s been the same issue in all of my loaners so if you didn’t have any you were probably just a basic user.

For someone that uses nothing but streaming music services and is constantly on the phone, the k2xx was an issue. Not the end of the world, but issues for sure existed on all of your trucks.

I don't stream music.  I use Sirius/XM and I have a USB stick.  I have 2 phones paired and never have an issue switching between them.  I also use the on-board nav and Android Auto so I switch between different apps all of the time.  Again, no issues.  

Hey guys,

Something very exciting to share with you. A lot of people have been interested on whether or not this 2.5-3.0 HMI retrofit would even be possible in our older generation of trucks. 

Well, I'm happy to say that the proof-of-concept is here for you to take a peek at [emoji4]

Like I mentioned in the video, there are still some kinks that we need to work out. Navigation is handled in a different way on the newer HMI than the previous version, and we're still testing access to other stock 2019+ vehicle applications (onstar availability, store compatibility, wifi hotspots etc.). But I'm happy to report that not only does it work on our test bench, but it also works in my 2014 (which I think is pretty sweet).

In regards to the new 3.0. Carplay and Android Auto are working as you'd expect, but they're faster and less buggy that with the old HMI's. the entire unit is just a nice face-lift and snappier to use all-around.Go test a 2019 Sierra and you'll see what I mean.

We are also working on some pretty fun unlocks and features for these units as well, so keep your eyes peeled. 

I'm hoping to be able to offer a full retrofit kit for the new 3.0's in the not-so-distant future. There are a few things that need to be sorted, harnesses to be made, etc. to facilitate a seamless upgrade experience, but we're getting closer and closer each day and I figured it was time to share a bit of our progress.

Please, if there's any questions you have post them below. I'll be happy to answer [emoji1690]

Thanks again for reading/watching. Feel free to PM me about any of your vehicle update needs. 

Did you have to change screen? Or was it just HMI update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m interested in seeing where this goes. My mom just got a Blazer RS and I really like the new interface. Also the HD screen, wonder if that’s possible in an upgrade? It’s cool to see that the K2s won’t have an obsolete radio in 5 years and that it’s possible to upgrade to the newer UI.

7 hours ago, geswek said:

Did you have to change screen? Or was it just HMI update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, sierra4102 said:

@th3magpi3

what hardware is involved with this, simple hmi or more?

10 hours ago, youcantkeepup! said:

Is the back up camera accessible in motion with this upgrade the same way it is on a stock 2019?

See Q&A section on top post. ☝️

I’m curious if it be possible to get the surround camera function to work similar to how it does on the T1 trucks if we add the front and side cameras? I’m interested in the HMI upgrade, but the surround view would be an interesting upgrade too. If not would the third party surround camera options still work with this?

Thanks again.